MobileMe Family Pack questions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, I was wondering if I were to buy the MobileMe Family Pack, would it allow me and my wife to share a calendar? So when we both buy the new 3g Iphone, we would have different email addresses but the same calendar, so if she made an entry into the calendar it would get pushed out to my phone as well?? would it work like that??

I hope so!! that would be really nice!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I don't know that exact answer to your questions but I will say that you can always subscribe to her calendar. In which case, your iPhone would not have that calendar pushed to your phone but rather it would wake up and go check your wife's calendar at an interval that you can customize
  • Reply 2 of 16
    enderokcenderokc Posts: 10member
    so, now that mobile me is live, does anybody have an answer to my question??
  • Reply 3 of 16
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    The answer is yes and no. You'll be able to share a calendar and get it pushed to an iPhone the problem is to share a calendar you are going to likely need to go through CalDAV. As previously mentioned the answer is probably to subscribe to her calendar and get that pushed to your iPhone instead. She won't be able to strictly change your appointments but it is a bit easier to set up.

You may also be able to play with file locations so you both read off the same calendar file but there are issues with that too.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telomar View Post

... to share a calendar you are going to likely need to go through CalDAV.

Does anyone else wonder what's up with Apple that they would provide such a nice calender server and then NOT USE IT so that people can share editable calendars? This was the one thing I was hoping MobileMe would fix.

Why shouldn't I now just switch to using Google and SpanningSync for all my calendars, posting my pictures, and all that stuff? Really frustrating....

/mike
  • Reply 5 of 16
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    why not have your wife access the cal from your login and both use it that way. my wife and i do that now on our macs
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ha11mha11m Posts: 6member
    I've been using a single user .mac account. Up until now I've had both macs registered with this single user account but only syncing the calendar and contacts which worked fine on both macs and both iphones. We've been using individual gmail imap accounts for mail which keeps our individual emails separate but 'live updated' - i.e. once read/deleted etc, it's marked as such on all devices. I tried SpanningSync but it was a disaster for me.. messed everything up.. just google SpanningSync problems and you'll see what I mean. After it switched to mobileme I realised what a great set up it would be and was just thinking of upgrading to a Family Pack when it occurred to me what is being discussed here. I hope I'm missing something and it can be done but I'm guessing at the moment it can't. So just to let you know the above works but it's not as nice... at least I can have the mail haha! She can always log in as me to check and change the calendar.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    ha11mha11m Posts: 6member
    when I say log in as me I mean when she's at work using me.com
  • Reply 8 of 16
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    my biggest family issue is keeping myself and my wife's calendar, contacts sync'd this mobleme calander will save me mucho stress, since i always screw up and add things when i shouldn't (such a guy thing). so this is worth it's weight if i know and she knows what's going on and the calander is "everywhere" not just on our counter, IN PENCIL

we will keep a single account till it doesn't work.

this mobleme is a life saver....MINE
  • Reply 9 of 16
    My wife and I have a similar requirement. We bought the family pack and created a family log in. That log in is for the calendars that we use. We then each have our own individual mail logins through MobileMe. Once we had our Mac's running with the calendars and syncing with the server, we went to our 3g phones. We set the first MobileMe with our individual accounts and only enabled email and contacts. Then we each set up a second MobileMe account on the iPhones with the family account and enabled only calendars. This has proved very effective.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    c6fanc6fan Posts: 12member
    Sharing calendars, according to Apple, won't work at all if you use Outlook. For macs they tel you to publish the calendars and then you can view them on a web page.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I hope you're still active on this forum.... did you just share a calendar on mobileme or did you actually get the shared calendar to push to 2 separate iPhones?

Susan

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TexAppleUser View Post

My wife and I have a similar requirement. We bought the family pack and created a family log in. That log in is for the calendars that we use. We then each have our own individual mail logins through MobileMe. Once we had our Mac's running with the calendars and syncing with the server, we went to our 3g phones. We set the first MobileMe with our individual accounts and only enabled email and contacts. Then we each set up a second MobileMe account on the iPhones with the family account and enabled only calendars. This has proved very effective.

• Reply 12 of 16
    After speaking to a MobileMe Chat Rep., all my worst fears of MobileMe turned out to be true.

1) In order to easily share Contacts and Calendars, you can set up all iPhones on a single account. Great if you don't care to use the "Find My Phone" or "Remote Wipe" service on any but the first user set up on this account.

2) If you each use a separate account, you can easily use all services, but you cannot share any data at all.

Therefore, I now have to edit each shared contact and calendar 3 times(again), unless I don't ever plan on losing any of the three phones. Once again, Apple has a great idea with limitations that render it almost pointless.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frydespresso View Post

After speaking to a MobileMe Chat Rep., all my worst fears of MobileMe turned out to be true.

Unfortunately, none of that is true:

* You can find multiple phones, even on a single account.

* A family pack can share as little or as much as you prefer.

You can read the posts above for the various ways to share data using MobileMe. I've used them successfully for a long time.

Not sure who you talked to, but...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I was wondering if you are then using one MobileMe Family pack for all three of these devices? Does "Family Pack" allow you to have different computers/devices syncing with different applications?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TexAppleUser View Post

• Reply 15 of 16
    When you say, in a family pack you can share as little or as much as you prefer, do you mean you can have a shared calendar that all members can see, and then certain other things that only get synced on an individual basis?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kbinsider View Post

Unfortunately, none of that is true:

* You can find multiple phones, even on a single account.

* A family pack can share as little or as much as you prefer.

You can read the posts above for the various ways to share data using MobileMe. I've used them successfully for a long time.

Not sure who you talked to, but...

• Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulandjanna View Post

When you say, in a family pack you can share as little or as much as you prefer, do you mean you can have a shared calendar that all members can see, and then certain other things that only get synced on an individual basis?

Is there a website that has a "how to" for the family pack setup? I want to be able to share somethings on my calendar with my secretary, but not everything.