iTunes Won't Quit!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My iTunes refuses to quit under OS X.1.5. Any of you had a problem with this, or am I alone on it? Any recommondations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Runs fine for me is this a re-accuring problem or is it just a one time deal?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    open a term and type:

killall itunes

or something like that. Use 'top' to see what itunes threads are called.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    He would first have to type top and then find the PID (process ID) of iTunes, the number all the way to the left, and then type "kill <PID>"

Edit: Spelling errors...

[ 06-13-2002: Message edited by: Mount_my_floppy ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote] My iTunes refuses to quit under OS X.1.5 <hr></blockquote>

Don't see the problem there, now you can have 24/7 tunes!

On a more serious note (yawn), I haven't had this problem with iTunes under 10.1.5, and I use it every day. I take it you tried 'Force Quit'?

As a little tip, you can also 'Force Quit' and application by holding down option and clicking and holding the icon in the dock. not too many people know that, sorry if you already did .
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    I should have been more specific - yes, I can force quit it, but it refuses to quit the normal way.

No, this is not just a fluke thing, it happens every time.

I wonder what caused this.... I havent' really changed anything.

As for using the terminal... that's way out of my league. I have no idea how to use it, how to read it, or really any clue about any of that non-point and click stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>I should have been more specific - yes, I can force quit it, but it refuses to quit the normal way.

No, this is not just a fluke thing, it happens every time.

I wonder what caused this.... I havent' really changed anything.

As for using the terminal... that's way out of my league. I have no idea how to use it, how to read it, or really any clue about any of that non-point and click stuff.</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol, don't be so afraid young one!

ok, first double click on the terminal icon.

at the prompt, type top and hit return You will be greeted with something like this:

ok- now in the PID column we see the process id number, in the COMMAND column is the application name. in my case next to itunes is the PID 351, remember that number.

when you want to stop looking at all the pretty numbers hit q to quit and return to the command line.

now, at the command line type kill, then a space and the PID number. like so:

hit return and the process is killed.

you can bring up top again to verify your success, but it should be obvious since itunes will quit

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: janitor ]</p>