iPhone 3G to be in healthy supply as iPod touch supplies weaken

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple should have ample stock of iPhone 3G when it touches down this month, according to analysts, who also note that Apple stands to make more from each device than once thought -- and that iPod touch stocks are continuing to run down ahead of a possible refresh.

In his note to investors, Lehman Brothers analyst Ben Reizes cites sources which claim that Apple's manufacturing schedule should be enough to satisfy much if not all of the initial demand on July 11th.

"iPhone build plans for June may be better than some had thought, which could mean that iPhone demand is met on July 11 with fewer shortages," he says, maintaining that Apple will sell 3.6 million iPhone 3G devices in the summer and as much as 23 million for all of Apple's fiscal 2009.

Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray adds that AT&T's complete official pricing for iPhone 3G units suggests Apple is making more from the reportedly abundant iPhone stock than estimated in the past.

Although the $199 starting price is much lower for the customers themselves, the $599 month-to-month price hints that the carrier subsidy cuts much deeper and hides greater profits for Apple, which could be asking $500 for each iPhone versus an earlier estimate of $425.

"This discrepancy leads us to believe our [average selling price] is conservative," Munster says.

A change of this level would boost Apple's calendar 2009 revenue by eight percent, he adds. Reitzes also points out that steep drops in the prices of NAND flash memory could further help Apple's bottom line by reducing the manufacturing costs of each iPhone.

Apple's recognition of the iPhone's popularity may also be playing into ongoing but small-scale iPod touch shortages, according to the analyst: stocks of 16GB iPod touch models at Best Buy have continued to drop in the past two weeks and have had less than three quarters of the retail stores carrying stock at any given time. Supplies of 8GB versions are also starting to decline, although once again Apple's back-to-school deal is believed to be curbing Apple's ability to maintain stock.

The Cupertino-based firm may be winding down stock as it prepares to reposition the iPod touch given the iPhone's much lower price, Reitzes predicts. An update is expected by September.

He also notes that lead-times are starting to grow for Apple's special-order 1.8GHz MacBook Air and 3.06GHz iMac computers, which now take between two to four business days to ship and are described as early signs that Apple is readying new MacBooks in time for back-to-school purchasing.

Both iPod and Mac sales are tracking above expectations for the spring, in part because of the halo effect of the iPod touch, according to the Lehman analyst.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    So for those of us that didn't get scared off by the pricing; where is everyone going to go on July 11th to pick theirs up? The Apple store or an AT&T store? I was planning on going to an AT&T store just because my thought was that everyone would flock to the Apple store. Also, I noticed yesterday that not every AT&T store sells the iPhone; if you go thru the "where to buy" it link on AT&Ts site it only lists the ones that sell the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I will probably buy an iPod touch this fall after the refresh of hardware occurs. I don't really use my cellphone a lot anyways. Plus I only pay $15 as additional line on my families plan with Verizon.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    nortonnorton Posts: 9member
    I was planning on going to the AT&T store as well, but it seems like they will only sell one per customer, and I was planning on doing a family plan for myself and my wife. This one per customer limit kind of defeats the purpose of the family plan deal. I hope that this is either not true or that they change it before the launch.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I read in another forum that someone called the AT&T store and said that you need to bring each person that you want on your family plan with you; again the 1 per customer thing.

AT&T has stated on things are going to work in their stores but what about at the Apple stores? Are you going to have to take the iPhone you buy from an Apple store into an AT&T store to get it activated?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    at&t scares me off more than the pricing.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I think you should camp overnight and wait for hours outside the Apple store just like last time.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    But if you go to the AT&T store, you might not have anyone to cheer and applaud you when you pick up your iPhone 3G. I too, think you should go to the Apple store because that's where the action is. You might even get an "iLuv my iPhone" T-shirt and a nice tan if it's a sunny day.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

But if you go to the AT&T store, you might not have anyone to cheer and applaud you when you pick up your iPhone 3G. I too, think you should go to the Apple store because that's where the action is. You might even get an "iLuv my iPhone" T-shirt and a nice tan if it's a sunny day.

When I was first out of the AT&T store with my new iPhone last year, I got a rousing hand by the rest of the folks in line...