Can I sync my iTunes on my iMac with my MacBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It's probably a very dumb question, but can I have my exact iTunes library on my MacBook and my iMac? I normally use my MacBook for only Internet and Poker while on the road. I'm going to be gone long enough that I want to have my iTunes on my MB to be able to listen to my favorite podcasts.

Can it be done?

Assuming so, how do I do it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

It's probably a very dumb question, but can I have my exact iTunes library on my MacBook and my iMac? I normally use my MacBook for only Internet and Poker while on the road. I'm going to be gone long enough that I want to have my iTunes on my MB to be able to listen to my favorite podcasts.

Can it be done?

If it's just a one time thing just exit out of iTunes and copy your Music folder from iMac to MB. If you want to have them in sync at all times use this

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ncfolders.html
  • Reply 2 of 8
    turn sharing on under the system preferences --> sharing, on the computer that has the itunes library, then open up your macintosh hd on your other computer, find the mac that is broadcasting and click on it to log into it. Then open up itunes, go to preferences, then the advanced tab and choose the location where its stored on the other machine. Another few options is a network drive, or a wireless router with usb support for example an airport extreme, so that the hdd is shared on the network. The latter is what I use on my network since I have 3 macs and 1 pc.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by somethinbaloo View Post

turn sharing on under the system preferences --> sharing, on the computer that has the itunes library, then open up your macintosh hd on your other computer, find the mac that is broadcasting and click on it to log into it. Then open up itunes, go to preferences, then the advanced tab and choose the location where its stored on the other machine. Another few options is a network drive, or a wireless router with usb support for example an airport extreme, so that the hdd is shared on the network. The latter is what I use on my network since I have 3 macs and 1 pc.

This will not work whilst on the road, hence, I gave you a program that will completely sync your music folders
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

If you want to have them in sync at all times use this

I have been using this: http://supersync.com/ It also can sync iTunes libraries with PCs.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mhedgesmhedges Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

I have been using this: http://supersync.com/ It also can sync iTunes libraries with PCs.

Anyone else have experience with this application?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mr fishmr fish Posts: 31member
    From my understanding, just simply copy your iTunes folder (Music\\iTunes\\) from your iMac to your Macbook.

Since it is an exact copy, you should be okay.

Be sure to reverse when you get back to your iMac after your extended leave.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Can it be done?

The two lines of solution suggested in this forum would both work: Manually copying the entire iTunes folder from one computer to the other, or to use a syncing software (I personally like chronosync) to sync over only the changes. Remember that iTunes will look for the music files along the file structure specified in your library file. So the structure (for example Hard Drive:users:username:music:itunes:itunes music folder ) must be identical on each machine for either of these schemes to work.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

If it's just a one time thing just exit out of iTunes and copy your Music folder from iMac to MB. If you want to have them in sync at all times use this

i looked all over and i have no idea how to set this up. is there any way you could write out the process or send me to a link where they tell you what to do? i tried to read the help search results and still didnt really get how to find the folders on either computer to make the workflow.

thank you.