Apple Keyboard Updates

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have been looking to acquire Apples Bluetooth keyboard because of my setup with my new Macbook Pro which I already have and purchased. Within this last week, it use to show the pictures on apples website for the wired and wireless keyboard and now it just shows a picture of an apple shipping box. Usually I have found when they do this, they update a product generally. Does anyone have any insight to this?? Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by somethinbaloo View Post

I have been looking to acquire Apples Bluetooth keyboard because of my setup with my new Macbook Pro which I already have and purchased. Within this last week, it use to show the pictures on apples website for the wired and wireless keyboard and now it just shows a picture of an apple shipping box. Usually I have found when they do this, they update a product generally. Does anyone have any insight to this?? Thanks,

AFAIK the wireless keyboard does not have a number key pad on the right like the wired one does. That's about all I can tell you for sure.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    If the wireless keyboard had a number pad, I'd be interested in one for my iMac
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

That is one of the drawbacks to their bluetooth wireless keyboard, even though I dont use the keypad to often, it is still necessary. I do find the advantage of the smaller keyboard to fit perfectly in a laptop bag. Still interesting that their is no updated pictures to their website yet. I still find it odd for the pictures to be up there last week and now they are switched to the apple shipping box picture.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by somethinbaloo View Post

Just be aware that if the battery in your wireless keyboard, or wireless mouse, quits during a software update, get ready to have some fun.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Admittedly the apple shipping box seems odd. Maybe a refresh is on the way, though the design isn't that old

Moving to black keys like the MBP is rumoured to be doing, possibly?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

AFAIK the wireless keyboard does not have a number key pad on the right like the wired one does. That's about all I can tell you for sure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I got my wireless keyboard refurbished during last holiday season because I wanted a wireless one with the keypad on the right. I don't think they have them anymore on the site though. I love the newer ones though, so sleek.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I have both the wired and wireless aluminum KBs -- the Bluetooth keyboard doesn't have the keypad, home/end/page up/page down/clear/delete-right keys, or F13-F19. Basically it's the keyboard chopped where the eject, delete, return, etc is located, with the arrow keys squished in underneath.

I haven't really missed the keypad, but I do miss the delete-right/pgup/pgdn/home/end keys.

As far as battery status goes, the monitoring provided with Bluetooth has been perfectly reliable for me, and the system alerts me when the battery is low in either my mouse or KB. I have had no problems whatsoever on updates.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

More egregious is the fact that Apple didn't include functionality to replace the loss of the number keypad by using the Fn key (Fn-U as 4, Fn-I as 5, Fn-K as 2, etc). I simply can't understand why Apple removed this capability from their notebook keyboards -- and the bluetooth keyboard by extension (it was present on the old iBook).