10 Days to Montevina

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With Intel releasing Montevina in 10 days, can we expect to see a redesign? Or only a performance speed bump. This image was posted on macrumors:

Records show that Apple has often waited a month or more to update their line after Intel releases an update. However because of the delay in Montevina could we see a new Macbook Pro as soon as July 29?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    One thing that looks like it could improve with that tapered design is the tilt angle of the display. So many people, especially PC users try to force the Mac laptop display further than it is comfortable and it strains the hinge. If it was tapered, maybe the display can go further back as the bottom of the screen can slide under the back a bit.

I like the shape of that machine a lot. It has a bit more character than the old square everywhere laptop.

What's really going to be interesting is what the metallic Macbooks look like.

I could see them holding off until the end of the month. After all, next week is iphone week and it will be a good 3 weeks before the hype dies down over that. It's a good way to push Macs though. Sell a great mobile device and then bring out new computers that are the best way to sync with and develop for the device.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    amclamcl Posts: 6member
    I really like the boxey design. The design looks more 'classic' looking to me, and it is fairly unique to Apple. Though the new high end voodoo envy has pretty much copied it albeit with a black carbon shell. The tapered design doesn't really distinguish it from a common Dell or HP design IMO.

I'm anxiously waiting for the next MB update aswell. I really hope it is this update they go metal on, but since that is when I plan to buy that guarantees they will not...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Any ideas what kind of GPU the new MBPs will have?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Yeah, I cannot imagine the MacBook Pro or the MacBook with a tapered design either. It would be reminiscent of the "other guys." Then again, looking at the "other guys" I see that Dell's new "Studio" notebook line have backlit keyboards along with slot-loading optical drives. A lot of the other manufacturer's notebooks are going strongly silver...even if it's silver colored plastic with silver colored keyboards to boot. Still not Apple though. Copy cats! I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Now that the others are homogenizing the overall look of notebooks by copying Apple's design traits, Apple will have to raise the bar with a new distinctive design.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amcl View Post

I really like the boxey design. The design looks more 'classic' looking to me, and it is fairly unique to Apple.

The word unique cannot be modified. Something is either unique or it isn't. There is no such thing as "fairly" unique.

That said, I love the symmetrical slab design. Please don't taper the MBP.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    amclamcl Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

The word unique cannot be modified. Something is either unique or it isn't. There is no such thing as "fairly" unique.

That said, I love the symmetrical slab design. Please don't taper the MBP.

I think you understood the gist of what I was saying.

To also be pedantic, there is often more than one strict definition or usage of a word in the English language. Common dictionaries appear to disagree with you. Refer to either http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unique or http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/unique for example.

Apparently I'm not in bad company, in the third common usage example Webster quotes J.D. Salinger in the same context...

"we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch" — J. D. Salinger

Perhaps we should leave the pedantry behind and stay on topic?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dfndfn Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Yeah, I cannot imagine the MacBook Pro or the MacBook with a tapered design either. It would be reminiscent of the "other guys." Then again, looking at the "other guys" I see that Dell's new "Studio" notebook line have backlit keyboards along with slot-loading optical drives. A lot of the other manufacturer's notebooks are going strongly silver...even if it's silver colored plastic with silver colored keyboards to boot. Still not Apple though. Copy cats! I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Now that the others are homogenizing the overall look of notebooks by copying Apple's design traits, Apple will have to raise the bar with a new distinctive design.

I would love it if the new macbook were just like the iMac redesign, keep the same case and just switch to aluminium. Would look awesome, give it a white keyboard to separate it from the MBP and MBA.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    xoraxaxxoraxax Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heron88 View Post

This image was posted on macrumors...

Yikes... If they're that ugly, I'll be even more glad I purchased a new MBP a few days ago instead of waiting on the revision.