It's already begun: iPhone 3G line starting in New York City

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Although it's not the first release and ample supply is expected, a queue has reportedly begun outside of Apple's Fifth Avenue retail store to buy iPhone 3G a full week before its release.

As of mid-afternoon on Friday, a ten-person line has been spotted by Gear Diary along the marble border that surrounds the retail store above ground.

The lineup is acknowledged by both store security and Apple employees, some of whom have already left the store temporarily to talk with those in line. Chairs and other apparel make it clear the early visitors are there for the seven-day wait.

The names of those first in line are unknown, though unlike the queue at the same store last year, the front isn't headed up by well-known line waiter Greg Packer, who regularly queues up early to be the first in line for many high-profile events.

Also unlike last year, however, there exists more of a clear incentive to be first in line at the New York City flagship outlet. With customers required to activate iPhone in-store rather than simply walk out with their purchases, the time spent processing each customer is estimated to take at least 10 minutes -- a process that will slow the line down considerably versus the original launch, in which many customers could buy their handsets and leave in just a fraction of the time.

A snapshot of the early lineup. Image credit: Gear Diary

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Lining up for the first iPhone was historic, and since supply was not certain, probably was a smart thing to do if you wanted to make sure you got one on the first day.

Given the new set-up, the stock available, and the sheer number of outlets that will sell it, ... lining up for iPhone 3G is just stupid.

It's a virtual certainty that you will be able to walk into any Apple or AT&T store on the afternoon of the first day or release and pick one up with no hassle, and no line-up. Why sleep in a camp chair for 7 days just for a free TShirt?
  • Reply 2 of 131
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    do these people have jobs? 1 full week for a phone you could buy a day or two later,

just silly,
  • Reply 3 of 131
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    I dont understand whats with all the queue business. Why not just go after work and get it?

Over here they made a big fuss of closing the stores for a supposed queue but I think the only queue was at the Apple store in London. Otherwise it was just bored people wanting to play with it lol I guess its fun to be part of the first batch of peeps to get their hands on it.
  • Reply 4 of 131
    alpal16alpal16 Posts: 2member
    So, do we call these people "iHeads"?
  • Reply 5 of 131
    I agree, it's silly, but it's harmless fun, if ppl get a kick out of it let them do it, it's not hurting anyone, they'll probably meet a lot of ppl, is sitting infront of a computer reading forums meant to be more enlightened?
  • Reply 6 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It makes for great headlines, so I can't diss them too much.
  • Reply 7 of 131
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

Also unlike last year, however, there exists more of a clear incentive to be first in line at the New York City flagship outlet.

Waste an entire week in line to save a few extra minutes or hours for activation?

That sounds like a clear incentive to me!
  • Reply 8 of 131
    rawheadrawhead Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also unlike last year, however, there exists more of a clear incentive to be first in line at the New York City flagship outlet. With customers required to activate iPhone in-store rather than simply walk out with their purchases, the time spent processing each customer is estimated to take at least 10 minutes -- a process that will slow the line down considerably versus the original launch, in which many customers could buy their handsets and leave in just a fraction of the time.

So to save a few hours on launch day, they waste a week in a queue, and that's supposed to be one clear incentive?
  • Reply 9 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

do these people have jobs? 1 full week for a phone you could buy a day or two later,

just silly,

Guess it's their job?! Aren't those people paid to wait in front of the store to go buy an iPhone for someone with a job?
  • Reply 10 of 131
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Just an opinion, but I image they're in line to buy several of them and then scalp them on eBay or another country. Otherwise I don't see why on earth anyone would stand in line for a week for anything but food.
  • Reply 11 of 131
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alpal16 View Post

So, do we call these people "iHeads"?

we call them idiots. way too many on this planet.
  • Reply 12 of 131
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    This seems to have crossed the line from "making sure I get one" to "tailgate party."

And then crossed THAT line into "week-long tailgate party," which is firmly in the territory of the insane.

Then again, I bet in NYC you could find 10 people who think the iPhone 3G comes out today!
  • Reply 13 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Something seems off about this. The people waiting all appear to be an early 20s age group, not the decade older age group I'd expect to see on average. Plus, we heard nothing about the first waiting in line, so it's almost like they just showed up all at once. Adding to that point, we have heard nothing about any other stores having a single person waiting in line but the high profile NYC flagship store has dozens. Could this be that performance art troop doing another lame stunt?
  • Reply 14 of 131
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I dont understand whats with all the queue business. Why not just go after work and get it?

Over here they made a big fuss of closing the stores for a supposed queue but I think the only queue was at the Apple store in London. Otherwise it was just bored people wanting to play with it lol I guess its fun to be part of the first batch of peeps to get their hands on it.

By going after work in New York City on July 11, 2008, you will wait in a very long line and hope you make it to the door before they close. The processing will be slow too with the overloaded AT&T Window based computers. Being first in line gets you on television for those that still watch it.
  • Reply 15 of 131
    sikrassikras Posts: 19member
    Some of those people in line may own Apple stocks for the last 5 years.

Then they deserve to be in line. Maybe it's there way of thanking Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 131
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    On an unrelated note, I think it's funny that you British (and I think Aussies/Kiwis as well) use the terms "queue" and "queuing" which are actually much more precise than the average American using "standing in a line" or "lining up". Leave It to Americans to butcher the hell out of proper english..
  • Reply 17 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

On an unrelated note, I think it's funny that you British (and I think Aussies/Kiwis as well) use the terms "queue" and "queuing" which are actually much more precise than the American "standing in a line" or "[B]lining up[]/B". Leave It to us Americans to butcher the hell out of proper english..

I wouldn't say it's more precise, but it certainly does sound more proper to our unsophisticated, Yankee ear.

From Dictionary.app:
    Queue — ORIGIN late 16th cent. (as a heraldic term denoting the tail of an animal): from French, based on Latin cauda ‘tail.’

Line — ORIGIN Old English līne [rope, series,] probably of Germanic origin, from Latin linea.
  • Reply 18 of 131
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sikras View Post

Some of those people in line may own Apple stocks for the last 5 years.

Then they deserve to be in line. Maybe it's there way of thanking Apple.

maybe using "there" instead of "their" is your way of botching the english language.

and if these people aren't scalping them on ebay they are idiots, but if they are they probably are still idiots because if they had a real job they could make more money than by sitting here to buy iphones, even if their profit is 100%, that's only $200.

In other words, get a life, not an iLife.
  • Reply 19 of 131
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Does it count as a queue if they are bringing mine to the embassy on Friday morning and I have to wait with the security guards until it passes through the scanners and x-ray machines?

Also, I might have missed it but is there the ability to use VoIP applications on the new iPhone or has Apple sort of "blocked" this via the SDK?
  • Reply 20 of 131
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wouldn't say it's more precise, but it certainly does sound more proper to our unsophisticated, Yankee ear.

From Dictionary.app:
    Queue — ORIGIN late 16th cent. (as a heraldic term denoting the tail of an animal): from French, based on Latin cauda ‘tail.’

Line — ORIGIN Old English līne [rope, series,] probably of Germanic origin, from Latin linea.

Well, maybe not technically more precise, but I think "queue" better describes what you are talking about without regards to surrounding context than "line"

Queue, Queu·ing

\tA file or line, especially of people waiting their turn

\tA line of waiting people or vehicles.

\tA data structure from which the first item that can be retrieved is the one stored earliest.

Anyways, give it 50 years and I'm sure Americans will split off a "simplified english" dialect consisting of a set of 50 three and four letter words... Then there will be cultural fighting over which is more "American" and educated people will be seen as the villanous "elite" because they speak in formal language.