What's your hometown famous for?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
After spending three weeks soaking wet, my current hometown is obviously down for being famous for its rain. My original hometown was famous for, well, nothing, because it barely shows up on a map and when you see the sign saying "Welcome to Nowhere" you can look down the road and see the sign "You are now leaving Nowhere". We often joked that they should have just painted it on the back.

What about your hometowns?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    sprawl
  • Reply 2 of 60
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Victoria, B.C - beauty, old people, college students, flowers, "Old English Stuff" like high tea and double decker buses. I think that this may be the nicest city in the world, maybe.

Ottawa, Ont. - beaurocrats, mix of French and English, good restaurants, heat/humidity in summer, coldest capital city in the winter

Chapel Hill, NC - college basketball, leftie politics, berkenstocks and volvo wagons.

Boulder, CO - college football, leftie politics, berkenstocks and volvo wagons, mountain climbing, skiing, exercise
  • Reply 3 of 60
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Scranton, PA, home of "The Office!"

Lazy Scranton
  • Reply 4 of 60
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    A volcanic explosion forming a big arse lake
  • Reply 5 of 60
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It's more fun when we have to guess... Unfortunately, I can't guess from any of the clues.

Original hometown is famous for crack-addicted local politician and "on-crack" federal politicians.

Second place I lived, not including college town, is not quite as well known. It's noted for its proximity and industrial affiliation with the main, NASA launch site.

Current hometown is famous for high-tech VC and the presence of a large, research university.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Victoria, B.C - beauty, old people, college students, flowers, "Old English Stuff" like high tea and double decker buses. I think that this may be the nicest city in the world, maybe.

Ottawa, Ont. - beaurocrats, mix of French and English, good restaurants, heat/humidity in summer, coldest capital city in the winter

Chapel Hill, NC - college basketball, leftie politics, berkenstocks and volvo wagons.

Boulder, CO - college football, leftie politics, berkenstocks and volvo wagons, mountain climbing, skiing, exercise

GO HEELS!!!

Well, I live just south of Yorktown, Virginia. Something happened here back in October 1781 involving the French Fleet, Cornwallis, and the colonials. Can't remember what it was, but it made history.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Umm...trees?

We don't have shit here, other than Ah-nold.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Scranton, PA, home of "The Office!"

Lazy Scranton

Some of the lamp-post banners are sponsored by "Dunder Mifflin."

I know, pretty cool, right?
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Floods

Murders

Mardi Gras

In that order!
  • Reply 10 of 60
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Diet-Rite Cola was invented here.

One of the few, (if not only) cities in the U.S. with a large waterfall in the middle of downtown.

Used to be known as the Textile Capitol of the World.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    philhphilh Posts: 2member
    Rockford, IL - Cheap Trick!

BTW - Lead guitarist Rick Nielsen is a Mac user and belongs to the local user group.

PhilH
  • Reply 12 of 60
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    Ben & Jerry's

[CENTER]
    Quote:

With a $12,000 investment ($4,000 of it borrowed), Ben and Jerry open their Ben & Jerry?s Homemade ice cream scoop shop in a renovated gas station at the corner of St. Paul and College Streets in downtown Burlington, Vermont, on May 5.

[/CENTER]

I remember the old gas station, it was a block up from the main bus station, just finishing up at UVM at the time, had ice cream there dozens of times that spring and summer.

Who da thunk it?
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Ben & Jerry's

[CENTER][/CENTER]

I remember the old gas station, it was a block up from the main bus station, just finishing up at UVM at the time, had ice cream there dozens of times that spring and summer.

Who da thunk it?

You're from Burlington, VT?

I'm there at least twice a year for the last 10-15 years. It's our home base for any ski vacations. I watched the Pats win their final regular season game at the Church Street Tavern, usually have dinner at Leunig's (love the escargot), and usually make it up to Sweetwaters and Three Tomatoes Trattoria. Haven't ventured too far from Church Street though.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

GO HEELS!!!

WHOOOO! Sounds like they're getting the band back together for next season too.

Original hometown: apples. No kidding. Wenatchee, WA, Apple Capitol of the World... or at least it used to be. At one point a significant double-digit percentage of the entire commercial apple crop in the US was produced in that one little valley. Now a lot of it has moved south to Yakima, WA. Chances still are though, if you've had an apple with a Washington sticker on it, it came from within 25 miles of where I grew up. Apples, hydroelectric dams, the Columbia River, and, uh... that's pretty much it.

Since then I've lived in towns famous for aircraft, rain, Mormons, basketball, and hard time on the rockpile.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

You're from Burlington, VT?

I'm there at least twice a year for the last 10-15 years. It's our home base for any ski vacations. I watched the Pats win their final regular season game at the Church Street Tavern, usually have dinner at Leunig's (love the escargot), and usually make it up to Sweetwaters and Three Tomatoes Trattoria. Haven't ventured too far from Church Street though.

Born in Springfield, VT, but lived and grew up in Burlington. Great place.

But it's been 25 years since I left, it's probably changed a lot since 1983. I've been meaning to go back and relive/remember my childhood, but I have no family up there anymore, and I lost contact with my childhood friends once I left for grad school.

It's funny, but for the most part (absent grade school) I can only remember the good times.

Other places I've lived for a while were Randolph, VT (VTC), Hanover, NH (CRREL), Ithaca, NY (CU), Kill Devil Hills, NC (FRF), and my current location Vicksburg, MS (ERDC). Sometime in the next year or so I'll have lived longer in Vicksburg than anywhere else.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
    Snobby, dumb undergrads.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Plymouth Meeting, Pa was where the first IKEA store was built in the United States. I worked there at the build-up and opening of the store.

Actually, Plymouth Meeting and Whitemarsh Township are a very old towns. Plymouth Meeting had settlements as early as 1686.

The Cold Point District is one historical area. Lots of old restored homes.

It was a very quiet town when my parents moved there in 1959. They recall deer prancing through the back yard. Eventually, there was a mall built (Plymouth Meeting Mall was one of the first malls in America). But when I was young, there were still pockets of nature; creeks, ponds, wooded areas, but today it's a traffic congested suburban sprawl. \
  • Reply 18 of 60
    The Mission Inn
    Quote:

Pat and Richard Nixon were married at one of the two wedding chapels here; the Reagans honeymooned here. The hotel has had nearly ten presidents stay at the Inn, including President William Howard Taft whom Frank Miller had a custom large chair made for Taft to sit in, although it is known he took offense to the size of the chair. The Inn continues to be a getaway for presidents to this day with George W. Bush as the most recent. Arnold Schwarzenegger has also stayed there during his tenure as governor.

The Parent Navel Orange Tree

From Wikipedia:
    Quote:

A single mutation in 1820 in an orchard of sweet oranges planted at a monastery in Brazil yielded the navel orange, also known as the Washington, Riverside, or Bahie navel. The mutation causes navel oranges to develop a second orange at the base of the original fruit, opposite the stem. The second orange develops as a conjoined twin in a set of smaller segments embedded within the peel of the larger orange. From the outside, the smaller, and undeveloped twin leaves a formation at the bottom of the fruit that looks similar to the human navel.

Because the mutation left the fruit seedless and, therefore, sterile, the only means available to cultivate more of this new variety is to graft cuttings onto other varieties of citrus tree. Two such cuttings of the original tree were transplanted[2] to Riverside, California in 1870, which eventually led to worldwide popularity.

More about Riverside
  • Reply 19 of 60
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Riots, mostly for the 1st of 3

Thankfully, I don't live there anymore
  • Reply 20 of 60
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Do you think there are more Volvo wagons than Priuses? I find the opposite is true -- but maybe that's just confirmation bias.

----------

Vancouver, BC - Rain (and more rain) in the winter. Mountains, ocean, Stanley Park, sushi (and Asian food in-general), pot, Wreck Beach, home of the 2010 Winter Olympics, and probably too many more to list. If you visit, come in the summer: the temperature rarely exceeds 25C (~80F) and it's sunny most days from July to the end of September.