Mac Pro Yay or Nay?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My dealer gave me a call and said that he could blow out a current MP to me for $2099. He'll send me specs later today, but what I gather is that it's a 2.8 dual with all the typical base model specs, 1 hdd, 2gb etc... New and never unboxed.

I've been in need of a new machine for some time, yet really been waiting for a 3.0ghz. Compared to Apples prices I'll be saving about $700. That's even better than a student price on the same machine. Of course the following is speculative, but my question is if Apple released a new machine within the next 30 days (which is rumored) what would someone guess be that this model's price would drop to? Would it not be such a great deal at that point, (also keeping in mind that there most likely would be some hardware updates to boot)? Would any guess that they'd drop the 2.8 altogether and have the 3.0 be the bottom choice?

I'm just throwing the idea around and don't expect iron clad answers of course.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

My dealer gave me a call and said that he could blow out a current MP to me for $2099. He'll send me specs later today, but what I gather is that it's a 2.8 dual with all the typical base model specs, 1 hdd, 2gb etc... New and never unboxed.

I've been in need of a new machine for some time, yet really been waiting for a 3.0ghz. Compared to Apples prices I'll be saving about $700. That's even better than a student price on the same machine. Of course the following is speculative, but my question is if Apple released a new machine within the next 30 days (which is rumored) what would someone guess be that this model's price would drop to? Would it not be such a great deal at that point, (also keeping in mind that there most likely would be some hardware updates to boot)? Would any guess that they'd drop the 2.8 altogether and have the 3.0 be the bottom choice?

Thanks

If they refresh the MP anytime soon it's not going to be anything revolutionary. Saving $700 is a deal that I wouldn't pass up if you need a computer now.

If you can wait till Q1 '09 I would. Those new MP's will be revolutionary as Intel introduces their new Nehalem processor.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Thanks

I don't know what relationship you have with "My Dealer" or what you consider a "base" model--you didn't say "standard model". Base could equal single quad. Is it a certified "Apple Dealer" who's going to knock of $700 just to give you a good deal on a Mac Pro that he could sell from more money, let alone hoping that Jobs and Apple don't hear about him selling less than Jobs says he has to sell Mac Pros.

I am somewhat suspect about this "deal". Perhaps you should be too.