How can I set up Mac OS X Server if...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have 8 macs and two PC's, 1 Laser printer, no router (dial-up; hopefully the server can connect when needed)(fixed IP's could change to dynamic).

I'll be using local email, and file sharing (mostly FileMaker Pro DB's). I'm having a hell of a time configuring DNS for the email since I don't have a router and wish for the server to do the routing by connecting (dialup) when necesary.

Anyone wish to help this desperate soul?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aftershock:

<strong>I have 8 macs and two PC's, 1 Laser printer, no router (dial-up; hopefully the server can connect when needed)(fixed IP's could change to dynamic).

I'll be using local email, and file sharing (mostly FileMaker Pro DB's). I'm having a hell of a time configuring DNS for the email since I don't have a router and wish for the server to do the routing by connecting (dialup) when necesary.

Anyone wish to help this desperate soul?

Thanks in advance </strong><hr></blockquote>

You could do it with just OS X but you'd have to be pretty good at the command line... If so then 'man routed' and 'man ifconfig'. If not get a router they only run $50 or so... maybe even less...

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Get a router, they are cheap, and safer than putting your server at the end of the network.

I don't understand your DNS problem, I have named running fine, and have since the Public Beta. It runs my web site.

Now hosting PCs you can do easily with samba, but it will be even easier if you wait for Jaguar. As to the printer, just throw it directly onto the Network, give it an IP, and have all the computers connect to it directly. Also your macs could all pick up the printer information through NetInfo.

Since you didn't describe any actual problems, it's hard to know what the problem is.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks for the response

First of all, I know nothing about UNIX. The server is running and everything is set up. My main problem is setting up DNS for mail server. I can send mail to te IP address but not the domain name.

I'm upgrading from ASIP and ASIP was easier to set up. Just downloaded MacDNS and away it went. With OSX Server it's not as easy.

Q. Can a router dialup? I don't have a router because (I thought that) I didn't need one. I'm not connected to cable or DSL

Thanks for the responses
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aftershock:

<strong>Thanks for the response

First of all, I know nothing about UNIX.

Q. Can a router dialup? I don't have a router because (I thought that) I didn't need one. I'm not connected to cable or DSL

Thanks for the responses</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay. If you are planning on running a server with OS X, I would really suggest picking up a book on Unix. For command line help UNIX in a nutshell from O'Reilly is good. For DNS help you will need to understand Bind 8.x . It takes a while but once you get it Unix is extremely brilliant environment. Your other option is to wait for Jaguar Server (I think it's going to have some easier tools for setting some of this up), or find a tool out there that set's up the stuff for you. I don't use any so therefore do not know of any, but just do a search on Google for one.

Yes routers can do dial-up, and they will also do DHCP for all your computers behind the router. You will need to get an external modem for it though, but that's old technology now and should be fairly cheap.

I hope this gives you a direction to go in, Unix is fun, and there are a lot of command line tools available out there for doing things that have never been available to the Mac before.

Good Luck
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thank You so much!! I guess I'll try reading/figuring out how to do this (at least I'll learn something). And, if I'm still where I am now when Jag server comes around, I'll get that.

Again, Thanks.