Rogers to offer Canadians limited time $30 6GB iPhone 3G data plan

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Rogers Wireless and its carrier partner Fido have announced that iPhone 3G buyers concerned about data usage on their new handsets can subscribed to a $30 per month 6GB data plan through a limited time promotion.

The offer, which runs through August 31, will allow customers to add the $30 package to any in-market voice plan. Rogers said 6GB of data should be sufficient to view 35,952 web pages, exchange 157,286 emails, or watch 6,292 minutes of YouTube videos each and every month.

In addition, the carriers said new iPhone 3G customers will have the choice to select from existing Rogers voice and smartphone data plans with additional features to best suit their needs, or from the previously announced value bundled plans specifically for iPhone 3G.

Meanwhile, existing Rogers Wireless customers can keep their current voice service plan and select a separate data plan to meet their needs, or choose from other plans after checking their individual upgrade eligibility.

In anticipation of Friday's launch, both Rogers and Fido also announced plans to open the doors of select retail stores across Canada in advance of regular hours. Starting at 8:00 a.m., customers will be able to purchase the new iPhone 3G at special launch day events to be held at six Rogers Plus stores across: Toronto (112-10 Dundas Street East), Montreal (1015 rue St. Catherine Ouest), Ottawa (690 Bank Street), Halifax (Unit 265, 7001 Mumford Road), Calgary (5244 Falsbridge Gate, NE), and Vancouver (2097 West Broadway). Fido will hold a similar event at its flagship store at 1004 rue St. Catherine Ouest, Montreal.

Customers attending the launch day events at any of those stores will be treated to a free early bird breakfast and have a chance to win prizes, Rogers and Fido said.

iPhone 3G will also be available at participating locations across Canada during regular store hours, including select Rogers Plus, Rogers Video, and Rogers Wireless retail locations and at the following specially selected authorized Rogers Wireless dealers: WirelessWave, TBooth and Wireless etc. A complete store listing is available here.

Alternatively, Canadians can also purchase iPhone 3G online at www.rogers.com and through Rogers' customer service at 1-888-764-3771.

Due to anticipated high demand, Rogers says there will be a limit of two iPhone 3Gs per customer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Someone (Vodafone or AT&T) really needs to buy these jokers out for the sake of our friends in the Great White North.
  • Reply 2 of 87
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Where is this promotion available to view online?
  • Reply 3 of 87
    well, it sounds like the people (and apple) have spoken, and they seem to have listened.

of course, i'm so absolutely confused by this that they may have delivered even worse options.

but hey, at least we got some new alternatives?
  • Reply 4 of 87
    Does this mean it's a $30 add-on to the current iphone plans? So let's do the math:

$60+$30+$6.95= $96.95

That's still a lot of money. They should offer the $30 plan wrapped up in all the current bundles at no extra charge for a limited time.
  • Reply 5 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Where is this promotion available to view online?

Answered my own question

This sound like what I needed to convince myself to get the iPhone. My voice plan is good and I have no intention of giving it up or tripling my bill. Now I can add data, doubling my bill, but fairly reasonable. Seems like Visual VoiceMail will be an additional $8, but I can live without that for now.
  • Reply 6 of 87
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Alternatively, Canadians can also purchase iPhone 3G online at www.rogers.com and through Rogers' customer service at 1-888-764-3771.

Due to anticipated high demand, Rogers says there will be a limit of two iPhone 3Gs per customer.

I highly doubt it.

So if I'm right Canadian iPhone Customers will have to pay an extra $30 a month on top of the $60 they're already paying for hardly any minutes and SMS.

Eeeeek! Glad O2 have given sensible Tariffs!
  • Reply 7 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikeisevil View Post

Does this mean it's a $30 add-on to the current iphone plans? So let's do the math:

$60+$30+$6.95= $96.95

That's still a lot of money. They should offer the $30 plan wrapped up in all the current bundles at no extra charge for a limited time.

What are you getting for your $60 voice plan and how long have you had it? My voice plan is ok, and is one of the reasons I would not consider the iPhone plans. I got my voice plan down to $30 with pretty good features (what I need anyway). So, a $30 for high data is not bad.
  • Reply 8 of 87
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

$60+$30+$6.95= $96.95

That's still a lot of money.

And you still haven't added the $15 to get frickin' call display ...
  • Reply 9 of 87
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

And you still haven't added the $15 to get frickin' call display ...

Exactomundo

for 60$ per month + Made Up Access fee 6.95 + 911 fee $0.5, you get

150 daytime minutes (unlimited after 9pm)

75 texts

400mb data

For an additional $15 per month you get caller display and 2500 txts

For an additional $30- you get 6gb data package (for a limited period)!

So a minimum package with caller id (who doesn't use caller id and how does vvm function without it?) and increased data you'll pay

$60 + $6.95 + $0.5 + $15 + $30 = north of $112.- + tax

When the free period is over the 30 per month turns into 100 per month

Me thinks this is still not such a great deal.
  • Reply 10 of 87
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    No you can pick up a $30 for voice & $30 for 6GB of data which is not bad cause no one really uses that much data on a smart phone unless you tether it to a laptop and use it at home. We in the states get unlimited data but it has a soft cap of 5GB from AT&T so canadian plans are not that bad anymore although i think being charge for caller ID is a total ripoff
  • Reply 11 of 87
    dgmacdgmac Posts: 4member
    Rogers has over 56,000 and counting very angry customers registering their displeasure at http://www.ruinediphone.com. They need to be doing a lot more than announcing a "time-limited" data plan:

1) They need to immediately DROP THE ORIGINAL phone/data plans that got everyone so angry off their rogers and fido websites! Just seeing those data plans there is reminding everyone how they got into this public relations disaster.

2) They need to instead show new phone/data plans with a fixed price that includes ALL CHARGES in a single list:

* daytime calling minutes (eg 100, 300, 500 etc)

* unlimited evening and weekend

* visual voice mail

* system access fee INCLUDED (not slipped into the fine print below)

* Caller ID INCLUDED (not added onto some goofy $15 addon plan)

* 6 GB data plan (its not unlimited, but it will have to do)

And they need to drop that Aug 31 time limit. To angry customers, that sounds arrogant ("Ok, we'll DEIGN to allow this, ONCE.")

When you've got a lot of angry customers, the last thing you want is to create confusion over what your Hail-Mary-Pass last-minute fix is going to be. Make your new plan as unconfusing as possible.
  • Reply 12 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Exactomundo

for 60$ per month + Made Up Access fee 6.95 + 911 fee $0.5, you get

150 daytime minutes (unlimited after 9pm)

75 texts

400mb data

For an additional $15 per month you get caller display and 2500 txts

For an additional $30- you get 6gb data package (for a limited period)!

So a minimum package with caller id (who doesn't use caller id and how does vvm function without it?) and increased data you'll pay

$60 + $6.95 + $0.5 + $15 + $30 = north of $112.- + tax

When the fee period is over the 30 per month turns into 100 per month

Me thinks this is still not such a great deal.

Your $60 voice plan must really suck if it does not include call display. Unless you specifically mean caller display, which isn't something I would pay for.
  • Reply 13 of 87
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    My understanding is that you choose any current voice plan and add the data plan you want - the $30/6GB plan being one of those options. The original "iPhone Plans" are not the only plan options, they are combo plans including both voice and data.

Come Friday, I plan on adding the new $30/6GB data plan to my existing Fido voice plan for use with the iPhone 3G.

I don't think that the rate will change come September, I think that you have until then to sign up for the $30/6GB plan. After that it won't be available or different plans will be available for new contracts.

Most of the confusion about the Rogers/Fido plans stems from the fact that AT&T has set plans and when Rogers/Fido announced their combination voice/data plans people made the assumption the Canadian model would be based on the U.S. one. I made the same assumption. Rogers/Fido allow you to mix and match plans as you like - something they should have made clear from day 1.
  • Reply 14 of 87
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Your $60 voice plan must really suck if it does not include call display. Unless you specifically mean caller display, which isn't something I would pay for.

EDITED: It has been pointed out to me that I was wrong - all packages apparently come with caller ID which is the equivalent to call display. Live and learn.
  • Reply 15 of 87
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:

$60+$30+$6.95= $96.95

No. It means you can use ANY of Rogers' existing voice plans, and add the 6 GB data plan for $30 per month.

To use my current plan as an example, that would be:

$25 - voice

$11 - conventional voicemail + Caller ID value package

$6.95 - system access fee (really should be rolled into the "voice" category above, but Rogers doesn't swing that way)

$0.50 - 911 fee

$0.43 - Nova Scotia government 911 fee

$30 - 6 GB data

------

73.88 per month. Will not include visual voicemail, which will probably only exist in conjunction with the iPhone value plans.

Also does not include 13% sales tax.
  • Reply 16 of 87
    The article is mistaken. According to the Rogers iPhone website if you select a voice plan and want to add data, $30 only gets you 300MB and $100 will get you 6GB.

Edit: Never mind, i was wrong. It is $30 for 6GB until August 31.
  • Reply 17 of 87
    Quote:

Caller Display (what is this 'call display' you refer to?).

But does visual voice mail work without caller dispaly? Surely without it you'll just get a list of calls to choose from with no idea who the caller is. Pretty useless if that is the case. I guess you don't strictly need caller display to survive but I have never met anyone without it.

I think call display is just the number and caller display is the name. The iPhone shouldbe able to display the caller name, if it is in your contacts, just with Call Display. All of my old phones can, so I expect the iphone can.

But really, your $60 doesn't have Call Display?
  • Reply 18 of 87
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:

well, it sounds like the people (and apple) have spoken, and they seem to have listened.

I disagree. This is not Rogers caving in at all, but is the equivalent of union busting--they are trying to break the resolve of petition signers to not get phones. Due to the limited supply of phones and the expiration date on this deal, only a few early buyers (scabs) will get the reward, and the masses will still get stuck with the original, petitioned plans. If the deal were permanent, it'd be a concession, but until it is Rogers remains deserving of wrath.
  • Reply 19 of 87
    Quote:

So a minimum package with caller id (who doesn't use caller id and how does vvm function without it?) and increased data you'll pay $60 + $6.95 + $0.5 + $15 + $30 = north of $112.- + tax

Naw, I figure you keep your existing voice plan (which likely includes texts & callerID, and just add this $30/mo plan on top. So you've got a $40/mo voice plan, $40+$30+6.95+0.50 = $77.45 for what you've got already + 6GB of data.

The kicker (imho) is that Rogers isn't saying what "limited" means... Is it limited to those that sign up before Aug 31st? Is it only an introductory offer for the 1st 6mo, then you go to $100/mo? It's gotta be the second variety (PKD reference!). I just can't see them leaving that much $ on the table - they don't leave money ANYWHERE (except maybe in Ted's jeans )...
  • Reply 20 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greatwhitenorth View Post

The article is mistaken. According to the Rogers iPhone website if you select a voice plan and want to add data, $30 only gets you 300MB and $100 will get you 6GB.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi..._data_packages

Those are their regular data plans. Rogers press release from today announced a promo plan, till Aug 31, that will allow you to add 6GB data for $30/month to your existing voice plan. So, the article is correct.