ActiveSync on iPhone: Notes from the field

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So I downloaded iPhone 2.0 and started playing with ActiveSync. Here are some notes:

-only 1 Exchange server supported (this is true for Windows Mobile so not surprising)

-if you enable calendar sync it warns you that "Exisiting calendars will be removed from your iPhone"

-Same message when trying to enable Exchange contacts "Existing Contacts will be removed from your iPhone"

-You can have multiple email accounts but only 1 Exchange push account (you can have multiple POP, IMAP, .Me accounts)

I'll add anything relevant as I come across it.

The big question was answered though and that was "Do I need the Enterprise Data Plan to use ActiveSync?". The answer is unequivocally, no.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

So I downloaded iPhone 2.0 and started playing with ActiveSync. Here are some notes:

-only 1 Exchange server supported (this is true for Windows Mobile so not surprising)

-if you enable calendar sync it warns you that "Exisiting calendars will be removed from your iPhone"

-Same message when trying to enable Exchange contacts "Existing Contacts will be removed from your iPhone"

-You can have multiple email accounts but only 1 Exchange push account (you can have multiple POP, IMAP, .Me accounts)

I'll add anything relevant as I come across it.

The big question was answered though and that was "Do I need the Enterprise Data Plan to use ActiveSync?". The answer is unequivocally, no.

It also works with the cell turned off. I have an iPhone that is no longer in service, however I can use Exchange ActiveSync over wireless and it works fine.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I set up my work exchange email successfully without any issue. I notice that we are stilll missing some typical PIM functionality.

The calendar is definitely not quite sorted out. The biggest missing feature is that when you create a calendar entry, it is not possible to invite other people to it. (as in to schedule a meeting)

The notification feature is a little flakey. I had numerous notifications in the 'maybe' status that I had previously accepted on my PC. Accepting these again on my phone resent accept notifications to the scheduler. (ugh)

New time proposals from others are not handled at all, they show as an email in the mail app. I suspect that accept & decline return notifications don't work either, although I don't have any proof of that yet. This isn't great, can't put down the crappy blackberry yet.

Finally, the work calendar items show under 'Calendar' rather than 'Outlook' as I would expect.

In the mail client, using exchange functionality, it has become much more necessary to view email in landscape. I hope that gets added soon.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jack.c1024 View Post

I set up my work exchange email successfully without any issue. I notice that we are stilll missing some typical PIM functionality.

The calendar is definitely not quite sorted out. The biggest missing feature is that when you create a calendar entry, it is not possible to invite other people to it. (as in to schedule a meeting)

The notification feature is a little flakey. I had numerous notifications in the 'maybe' status that I had previously accepted on my PC. Accepting these again on my phone resent accept notifications to the scheduler. (ugh)

New time proposals from others are not handled at all, they show as an email in the mail app. I suspect that accept & decline return notifications don't work either, although I don't have any proof of that yet. This isn't great, can't put down the crappy blackberry yet.

Finally, the work calendar items show under 'Calendar' rather than 'Outlook' as I would expect.

In the mail client, using exchange functionality, it has become much more necessary to view email in landscape. I hope that gets added soon.

A question about Activesync on the iPhone 2.x: are folders sup[ported in Exchange? I live in folders so a lack of folder support would bea real problem.

thanks,

SM
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post

A question about Activesync on the iPhone 2.x: are folders sup[ported in Exchange? I live in folders so a lack of folder support would bea real problem.

thanks,

SM

Anyone?