MS Taskbard like functionality

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
is there any kind of app i can get for os x that will give me a windows-esque task bar...one where each window open gets a spot on the task bar...or is there any easy way to open more than a single instance of one program...i am kind of annoyed that the dock is launching and switching.

don't get me wrong, os x is great, i would just like to be able to do a couple of these things.

i know there was an app for os 7-9 that gave the mac a start bar. anything like that for x?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    [quote]

i know there was an app for os 7-9 that gave the mac a start bar. anything like that for x?[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Not yet. The TaskBar-like app for OS 9 is Proteron's GoMac. They're currently deciding whether to make an OS X version.

You know you can switch apps by hitting command-tab, right? This will cycle back and forth through open apps, in Dock's order.

But I really recommend the free LiteSwitch X, also by Proteron, for much better command-tab keyboard switching (in load order). If you find it a little too slow on your machine (that fade is just a bit too long on a G3, imho) you might want to check out Keyboard Maestro or App Switcher.

Any one of these utilities, plus the command-~ keyboard combination, which switches windows in all Cocoa apps (unfort. not Carbon, yet) should hopefully give you the power-switching you need.

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: Hobbes ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Also, no, the practice of opening multiple copies of the same app is alien to the Mac UI.

On a Mac, if you need to work on mulitple documents in one app, you have several windows open inside that app. Aside from command-~, though, unfort. speedy switching between windows inside an app is handled differently in every app...

One more thing. You can control- / click-hold / right-click on an application in the Dock to get a menu of that open app's windows.

Hope this is helpful.

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: Hobbes ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    nah, you can just click and hold for a menu to come up with all of the open windows in any given application.

wooops...misread your thread.

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: ijerry ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    The OS X Dock already is far superior to the Windows crap-bar.

Jaguar will improve the dock even further. All minimized windows will carry a "badge" of the icon of the App to which they belong to. Minimized windows will also be able to be dragged out of the dock and onto the desktop.

The Dock is far more customizable than the Windows crap-bar.

Here's what you should do if you want to be able to launch ANYTHING from your dock, while keeping the dock uncluttered:

1. Create a folder, doesn't matter where.

2. Fill this folder with aliases to all of your applications. Feel free to organize the aliases into folder hierarchies as deep as 5 levels.

3. Paste a custom icon onto this folder so it will be easily recognized.

4. Drop the folder into the dock.

5. To access any app in the folder, right click or click and hold. You will get a navigatable menu with all your aliases.

This also works well for documents. Simply drop your documents folder into the doc (I put my "Home" folder into the dock), and then by right clicking you can access and open ANY document on your HD!

Try this with Windows, and you'll see that it is much more difficult to customize.

Most people who don't "like" the Mac interface simply don't know how to use it. I see Wintel dorks at work mucking around with the Macs like total idiots, they spawn like 50 windows while burrowing down to an app they want to open, when all they need to do is use the shortcut from the Apple Menu )OS 9), or the dock (OS X) to open the app. I guess since they normally use windows, they are used to fighting with their computer instead of having it adapt to their needs.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    Alternatively, get a hold of LaunchBar (which, despite it's name isn't really a 'bar', more of a keyboard shortcut on steroids).

I like the title of this thread - 'TaskBard' - I have a vision of someone in tight playing a lyre and singing:

Hey nonny nonny, a tale I will tell

Of working in Microsoft Windows hell

Hey nonny nonny, Windows is a fart

To shut down my computer, I have to click on 'Start'
  • Reply 6 of 6
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by Gee4orce:

<strong>Alternatively, get a hold of LaunchBar (which, despite it's name isn't really a 'bar', more of a keyboard shortcut on steroids).

I like the title of this thread - 'TaskBard' - I have a vision of someone in tight playing a lyre and singing:

Hey nonny nonny, a tale I will tell

Of working in Microsoft Windows hell

Hey nonny nonny, Windows is a fart

To shut down my computer, I have to click on 'Start'</strong><hr></blockquote>

ok, this is really funny. i LOLLED all over the place!

anyhow, thanks for all of the advice, i should have the dock functioning perfectly for me really soon