iMac - is it a good time to buy 1 now?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm a PC user planning to convert to Mac. I started a small business in December 2007 and have been planning to buy a Macbook Pro since that time. However, I haven't bought one b/c my laptop is still functioning and I've been waiting for the Macbook Pro and Macbook redesigns.

Recently I've been going back & forth on whether to buy an iMac now and then buy the redesigned Macbook or Macbook pro within the next 6-8 months. In order to finally make an educated decision, I was hoping to get some insight from this board.

Basically, I'm looking for some advice/opinion on whether to buy an MacbookPro with a display or to buy an iMac now and a Macbook or Macbookpro w/o a display at later date. The second option will cost more, but I don't think it will be that significant and I will end up with 2 machines.

Below are my questions/comments:

1. Is it a good time to buy an iMac or is a significant upgrade expected to happen within the next few months?

2. Would you recommend the 20in or 24in iMac?

3. In general, I really like having the mobility of a laptop. However, I have found it to be a pain to carry my laptop to and from work each day.

4. I'm starting to think it might be better to have a dedicated computer for the business. I occasionally have other individuals using it at the front desk and don't like the idea of personal info being on the machine. Also, I think the iMac might be more aesthetically pleasing.

5. For the business, I need it for running a web based software, Office, Quickbooks,etc... I plan on installing XP on the machine.

6. For personal use, I plan on starting to do some light video/photo editing and also using windows XP. I probably don't need all of power of a Macbookpro, but don't know if I will find the Macbook to be too small.

7. Is it difficult or time consuming to sync and iMac with a Macbook?

8. This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to use the iMac as a display for a Macbook or Macbook pro?

So what would you do? Buy an MacbookPro with a display or to buy an iMac now and a Macbook or Macbookpro w/o a display at later date.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    If you need it, buy it. Another Macbook and iMac update are coming when Intel upgrade to centrino 2
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I own a MacBook Pro and recently ordered a 24" iMac for my work. I can tell you that the MBP is a more than ample desktop replacement, so the option of MBP plus monitor is reasonable. However, I'm not really sure this is much cheaper depending on how much you need a macbook vs. MBP. For roughly the price of a MBP plus monitor you could get a MacBook and an iMac. So the question is do you need the extra power of the MBP (running advanced applications, using very large databases, etc.) If you are mainly using office applications, internet, email, the usual, then I think a regular MacBook would suffice. And it would be better to have 2 computers than one.

Regarding timing, you'll see once you enter the world of Apple that product refreshes are frequent, so if you wait for the next one you'll be waiting forever. If you need it now, get it. My wife has an iBook G4 that is 4.5 yrs on now, and just now starting to show its age. So don't be too concerned you'll be outdated anytime soon.

Hope that helps
  • Reply 3 of 7
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    I'd get an iMac now and wait until the MB refresh like you said.

The iMac line was recently refreshed a couple of months ago.

In terms of screen size its really down to personal preference, if I had the choice and money wasn't a concern I'd get the high end 3Ghz 24" iMac, simply because its the best one in the line.

However I've worked with the 20" models and they're absolutely fine.

You can set up individual accounts on the iMac and apply passwords and administrative settings so you don't have to worry about people nosing about in your documents. OSX is by far the better opperating system compared to XP but you can dual boot XP on the iMac which is good.

Go for a large hard drive I reckon. I don't know how easy it is to sync a notebook to the iMac so you'd have to do some research or phone Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjgmac View Post

Below are my questions/comments:

1. Is it a good time to buy an iMac or is a significant upgrade expected to happen within the next few months?

2. Would you recommend the 20in or 24in iMac?

3. In general, I really like having the mobility of a laptop. However, I have found it to be a pain to carry my laptop to and from work each day.

4. I'm starting to think it might be better to have a dedicated computer for the business. I occasionally have other individuals using it at the front desk and don't like the idea of personal info being on the machine. Also, I think the iMac might be more aesthetically pleasing.

5. For the business, I need it for running a web based software, Office, Quickbooks,etc... I plan on installing XP on the machine.

6. For personal use, I plan on starting to do some light video/photo editing and also using windows XP. I probably don't need all of power of a Macbookpro, but don't know if I will find the Macbook to be too small.

7. Is it difficult or time consuming to sync and iMac with a Macbook?

8. This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to use the iMac as a display for a Macbook or Macbook pro?

1. It's a pretty good time to buy an iMac. It probably won't get updated in the next few months.

2. I'd get the 24", because it has a nicer screen (PVA panel) and a better graphics option in the 8800GS (which may not have any value for you but would for me).

3. OK

4. OK

5. OK

6. The Macbook does have a fairly small screen but you could always keep a monitor at the desk to plug it into. I've found that even a slightly smaller laptop is a lot easier to carry around.

7. I don't know about syncing two Macs.

8. No.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mjgmacmjgmac Posts: 3member
    Thanks to everyone for the feeback.

I'm glad to hear that it is a good time to buy an iMac. I didn't realize the '24 inch had a nicer screen.

I plan on checking them out again in person and making a decision within the next couple of days.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

I'm glad to hear that it is a good time to buy an iMac. I didn't realize the '24 inch had a nicer screen.

I plan on checking them out again in person and making a decision within the next couple of days.

I am absolutely happy with my new iMac 24", which can be considered the best desktop of the world nowadays. It's more than fast for anything, and you won't regret it..!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

The 24" is not just a little bit better than the 20", it has an entirely different display, and it's much better. I heartily recommend it, and I back that up with the fact that I bought one just last month.