A little tip for people using Invisible Shields or other clear skins

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I put an Invisible Shield or BestSkinEver on most of my devices to keep them from getting scratched. One of the things that always bothered me about them is that around some corners they can get little points where the material doesn't stick down and it creates a very small sharp little fold. On my 3G iPhone it was driving me nuts after only a couple days because it's right where you end up touching it constantly. You can keep trying to press those corners down but eventually they lose their adhesion. Today I tried to warm up a little burnishing tool with a lighter to see if I gently melt it back down. But that didn't work.

The best thing I figured out to do with those tiny corners if they're on a curved surface is to cut them off with nail clippers. I just did this to my Invisible Shield on my 3G iPhone and now the corners are nice and smooth.

Weird post, I know, but thought I'd share it for anyone who's putting a clear cover on their phone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    actually I found that useful, thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    No problem. I know it's a weird and specific post to make, but I figured enough people put those skins on and have that problem that maybe it'll help.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    are there case out there that protects the corners AND includes a screen protector that works with the multitouch? i plan on getting a side "holster" type PLUS a case for those times it falls out or i drop it (hey this is a big investment)

any suggestions

also for a woman (my wife gets an 8gb) she puts it in her purse but i want good all around wife protection
  • Reply 4 of 7
    The Invisible Shield is a full-body cover. It has protection on the screen and the whole backside and most of the sides including the corners. It doesn't offer any impact protection though obviously because it's so thin. If you want something to protect it from drops you'd need a normal slip case or a hard case. The Invisible Shield is mainly to prevent scratches to the backside. The glass is pretty scratch-resistant but I actually ended up liking the feel of using the iPhone better with a skin cover on it than directly on the glass. The glass seems to be high friction and it's harder to clean of body oils than the skin cover.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Hi Guys,

Interesting posts. I did wonder how well the Invisible Shield would adhere to the curved corners. They don't demo that anywhere.

Anyway, similar subject, I have always kept my iPod Touch in a leather case from new. However, small particles of grit or some other abrasive pieces must have over time gotten into the case and managed to make minor scratches on the very tactile back. Any advice on how I can remove these minor blemishes to my otherwise perfect iPod?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I also like these shields. The only problem I have (besides the corners) is that stuff tends to build up on the edge of the shield. Around the home button edge of the screen. It's like the adhesive used on the shield collects dust and grime and then builds up. Just run a toothpick along the edges of the shield and it will take it right off. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just gross and need to take a shower. !!!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Yes, sometimes you'll see the adhesive squeeze out at corners. It looks like a tiny little booger. I usually use a bit of rubbing alcohol or just keep rubbing at it with my fingers until it's gone.