MobileMe - how do I reactivate from .Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm considering coming back to .Mac/MobileMe now the change has happened. I have an Apple ID / old .Mac account name/email address, I would like to reopen it as MobileMe.

Does anyone know the steps I need to take in order to do this?

Thanks!

:-Joe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I've just been informed by a friend that if you no longer have a .Mac account then your username is up for grabs to anyone... Contrary from what people have been telling me on here.

I just tried to sign up for a free trial using my old username and it doesn't let me. Does that mean someone has already taken it in the first week, or does it mean it's still reserved for me??

• Reply 2 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    When I let my .Mac lapse Apple sent me an email saying that they'd save my address in case I wanted to return. When I did return my email address was there waiting. Don't know why it wouldn't be the same for you.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

When I let my .Mac lapse Apple sent me an email saying that they'd save my address in case I wanted to return. When I did return my email address was there waiting. Don't know why it wouldn't be the same for you.

I can't remember the email saying that, but I hope you're right. My Apple ID is still my old .Mac email address, so I would have assumed that would be changed if someone had taken my username.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

I can't remember the email saying that, but I hope you're right. My Apple ID is still my old .Mac email address, so I would have assumed that would be changed if someone had taken my username.

Additionally, if you go into your MobileMe settings and create new email addresses it gives you a warning that the new email address can never be used for as a new account name
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Additionally, if you go into your MobileMe settings and create new email addresses it gives you a warning that the new email address can never be used for as a new account name

Yes I noticed that... It seems weird that the addresses are never released, isn't that going to cause problems getting people to sign up if they can't get the name they want?

Anyway luckily - I tried to reactivate my account later and this time it worked! only unfortunate thing is that I appear to have lost my mac.com address... Which is a little bit pointless considering nobody else can have that address... So I'm trying to get it back if I can.