Signal strength: iPhone 1.0 vs iPhone 3G

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'd be interested to hear any feedback from users who have upgraded from an original iPhone to the new iPhone 3G ? does the iPhone 3G offer better signal strength?

I currently have an iPhone 1.0 and I'm perfectly happy with it apart from the signal strength in the area that I work in. Everybody else's mobile phones work perfectly, but I rarely get any signal at all on my iPhone. I suspect this may be down to the aluminium casing. I'm a little loath to sign up for another 18 month contract with O2 (UK) if I'm going to get more of the same...

So given that the new iPhone has dropped the aluminium casing in favour of a plastic one, I'm wondering if this results in a better signal strength?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jonnybjonnyb Posts: 64member
    I had exactly the same concerns. Despite being in London, I'm in an awkward spot in the middle of a thickly walled building and my 1st gen iPhone signal was pretty poor. I had between 1 and three bars but if I took a call at my desk it would usually drop to one bar and then drop the call altogether.

With my new iPhone 3G my GPRS/EDGE signal is definitely better. It's constantly at 2 bars and doesn't fluctuate like my 1st gen did. And calls are more stable. I think it's probably entirely down the lack of metal casing.

That said, my building means I can't get any kind of 3G signal, though it's there the second I step out of the building. I might lobby my boss for a desk by a window!

So, to get to the point, I think you'll be happy with the increased strength and stability you'll get for EDGE/GPRS
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Whats the point in that. The whole point of this is so you can get 3G not better EDGE!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jonnybjonnyb Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Whats the point in that. The whole point of this is so you can get 3G not better EDGE!

The point is he'll get better reception at work which is what he asked about. I don't need 3G at my desk - I just need to know I can talk to people without the call getting dropped.

But thanks for your scintillating contribution anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    bars smars....what's your download speed for each, what about call quality. maybe 2g bars don't match 3g bars.....what's the results make, receive calls, download speed

i know that att keeps focusing on bars, but with my old nokia i just got a icon for signal, but didn't matter how does the phone work. and it did a good job.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    smkysersmkyser Posts: 2member
    I'd be curious to hear more about the reception issue also... right now the Apple discussion board is busy

with multiple posts from people all over the world in major metropolitan areas either unable to connect with 3g, few bars, or very slower than advertised download speeds...

Did Apple lay a rotten egg?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    I am also in London. Not sure about upgrading till I hear more info on O2's coverage and quality.

My 2G iPhone's reception is pretty variable .... even in different areas of the same room.

Network Speed Test. http://www.inetworktest.com/ Web test and app for phone.

Would be good to see some of your results.

Also... does 3G on the iPhone in the UK now allow access to YouTube and BBC iPlayer over the network?

Thanks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

How about better call quality? I think the early reviewers (Pogue, Mossberg, etc.) said that they got better clarity and such with the new version.