Apple hikes orders for notebook boards by 20 percent - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With sales of Macs maintaining growth rates of more than two times the industry average and a pair of hefty portable updates in the pipeline, Apple is reported to have increased sharply its procurement of notebook-use circuit boards for the third calendar quarter.

Citing its usual sources, Chinese-language Commercial Times said Friday the Mac maker has sought some 20 percent more high-interconnect density (HDI) notebook motherboards for manufacturing ramps that will take place sometime during the three month period ending September.

Apple is believed to finalizing development of overhauled MacBooks and MacBook Pros that should make their way to manufacturing during this period. The hardest evidence to this end surfaced earlier this month when the new exterior design of the latter notebook family was revealed in a photograph of a leaked prototype casing believed to have been taken outside the company's partner facilities in Taiwan.

With iPods finally believed to be reaching their saturation point, Macs have have assumed the role of Apple's second primary growth drive next to the iPhone. In a research report issued to clients Friday, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said NPD market research data from the first two months of the company's June quarter suggests Mac sales may be up 50 percent year-over-year.

Apple's fiscal third quarter earnings report due Monday should offer some additional color on the matter. For his part, Munster is modeling the company to announce sales of 2.35 million systems for the three month period ended June 30th, which would represent 33 percent yearly growth.

"Typically NPD over estimates actual Mac unit growth," he said. "If Apple sells 2.35 million units, it would be a significant positive."

Munster reiterated his Buy rating and $250 price target on the company, citing his own expectations of refreshed MacBook and MacBook Pros in the September quarter coupled with increased demand from the ongoing educational buying season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    holmes89holmes89 Posts: 10member
    How soon until an update do you think?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    thecrowthecrow Posts: 11member
    Oh no! More good news! Now watch the stock price drop...

Honestly, I don't know what it will take for the stock to go up.

• Reply 3 of 20
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Citing its usual sources, Chinese-language Commercial Times said Friday the Mac maker has sought some 20 percent more high-interconnect density (HDI) notebook motherboards for manufacturing ramps that will take place sometime during the three month period ending September.

Can we expect prior than October 2008 launch date for the new and designed MB, MBP and MBA!

A very good sign to AAPL indeed. Way to go ...
  • Reply 4 of 20
    stukdogstukdog Posts: 53member
    Let's get some of those notebook boards in a new Mac mini please.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheCrow View Post

You saw what happened to MSFT...their Q2 profit jumped 42% and the stock plunged over 7%. Let's not even talk about GOOG and their descent into the abyss (-9%) for a 35% increase in profit year-over-year.

Apparently those companies should be ashamed of such "poor" performances
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Higher than expected earnings.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

Can we expect prior than October 2008 launch date for the new and designed MB, MBP and MBA!

I expect August for the MBP, August or September for the MB, and October for the MBA.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With iPods finally believed to be reaching their saturation point...

That should really be traditional iPods, like the iPod nano and especially the iPod classic. Not sure how the Shuffle's doing (never thought I'd like them, but after my cousin gave me one, I've used it more than my 5.5gen iPod video mainly because I'm doing a lot of yard work and don't want to damage the video's screen).

The iPhone is an iPod, so it really should be counted as such, which it isn't.

These are also only U.S. iPod sales being considered. Around the world, many places where the iPhone isn't yet officially available, people can buy an iPod touch, which was essentially designed as an iPhone teaser for countries Apple hasn't quite nailed down a cellular iPhone provider.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Macrumors is reporting this and also that Apple told Best Buy to expect limited shipment of notebooks for the next two weeks. I don't know how good their source is on the latter, but the former is sound.

Seems like these together indicate a refresh soon(they've been ordering more parts, but will be shipping fewer notebooks to retail).

I predict an announcement of new Macbook Pros, and maybe new Macbooks (Intel's delay on their new chips with integrated graphics could hold them back) on July 29th (like several other people have). With almost every major PC manufacturer having already announced new Montevina notebooks, it seems like Apple would want to throw their own new notebooks into the ring to keep their great sales momentum going, and a July 29th announcement does that while also giving the iPhone hype time to die down.

In addition to the slight perfomance improvements from Montevina, case redesigns also seem likely with all the talk about them dating back to reports earlier this year of Apple ordering 13" aluminum notebook cases and more recent leaks of an "old new" MBP case prototype.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Funny...

I've been considering a MacBook when the next refresh comes along, but I'm starting to re-think my whole hardware approach.

I'm stuck with the Windows for work because of IT restrictions. I'll be getting a 3 lb Thinkpad X61 12" next month, and frankly, I've come to realize that if I want to do fun computer-based stuff, I'll do it on the big iMac at home, and the Wintel POS actually suits my everyday browsing/mail/ssh needs adequately.

What I'm coming to realize is how much more I'm enjoying my touch, especially since the SDK offerings. What I'm really hoping for now is an approx 9" touch device that docks into a keyboard/expansion-station when needed.

I really think the time for that platform is approaching quickly, and I think Apple is positioned perfectly for it.

Good times.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    These are also only U.S. iPod sales being considered. Around the world, many places where the iPhone isn't yet officially available, people can buy an iPod touch, which was essentially designed as an iPhone teaser for countries Apple hasn't quite nailed down a cellular iPhone provider.[/QUOTE]

I believe the iPod touch is going to be a huge hit. I'm certainly going to get one when they reach 64 GB.

Many people don't want (or can't afford) to pay the exorbitant iPhone contracts.

Therefore many people will buy a 'touch' and keep their cheap but reliable mobiles, others, like myself, haven't got a mobile and don't one.

The amount of apps. available for the iPod touch after just a week is mouth-watering.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

I believe the iPod touch is going to be a huge hit. I'm certainly going to get one when they reach 64 GB.

Many people don't want (or can't afford) to pay the exorbitant iPhone contracts.

Therefore many people will buy a 'touch' and keep their cheap but reliable mobiles, others, like myself, haven't got a mobile and don't one.

The amount of apps. available for the iPod touch after just a week is mouth-watering.

Oh yeah, totally agree. While the iPod touch is a great way to get people interested in buying an iPhone, it's also nice for people like me. I have a prepaid Go phone because there's no way I can even imagine paying $70/month. I simply don't talk on the phone that much and since I'm a bit of a homebody, we have a flat $20-$30/month unlimited VOIP phone service from the cable company. While I'd love an all-in-one device, I'll get an iPod touch in the meantime - yeah, I'm waiting for a 64GB model too so I can replace my 80GB video iPod. I think a lot of people, mainly music lovers, are holding on to their 30GB-80GB iPods for the same reason. To avoid cannibalization of iPod touch sales by the now very affordable iPhone 3G, it's likely we'll see Apple kill the 8GB iPod touch and soon after, the introduction of a 64GB iPod touch. If they kill the 16GB touch as well, and managed to drop the 32GB model to the 16GB's was, $400, that'd be pretty awesome. What'll be crazy is when the 128GB touch makes it way onto the scene. That'll probably around this time next year, or sooner. That'll pretty much sound the death knell for the iPod classic. Maybe Apple will then finally update their dancing silhouette ads.

I'm glad all the major U.S. cellular providers are now offering unlimited voice and data plans, but at +$100/month (love how they all decided on one over the top price point) I'll be waiting a while before I sign another contract.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

Macrumors is reporting this and also that Apple told Best Buy to expect limited shipment of notebooks for the next two weeks. I don't know how good their source is on the latter, but the former is sound.

Seems like these together indicate a refresh soon(they've been ordering more parts, but will be shipping fewer notebooks to retail).

I predict an announcement of new Macbook Pros, and maybe new Macbooks (Intel's delay on their new chips with integrated graphics could hold them back) on July 29th (like several other people have). With almost every major PC manufacturer having already announced new Montevina notebooks, it seems like Apple would want to throw their own new notebooks into the ring to keep their great sales momentum going, and a July 29th announcement does that while also giving the iPhone hype time to die down.

In addition to the slight perfomance improvements from Montevina, case redesigns also seem likely with all the talk about them dating back to reports earlier this year of Apple ordering 13" aluminum notebook cases and more recent leaks of an "old new" MBP case prototype.

Thoughts?

i wonder Alu MacBook will be released with out a Apple Event?

also will it come with some form of graphics card?

Jul 29th hmm, looks early, when was the last time they released MacBook (iBook) so early (before the back to school time frame), i remember atleast last few years they missed the deadline
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I wonder if shiny new MacBook Pros and MacBooks will also create queues at Apple retail stores?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

i wonder Alu MacBook will be released with out a Apple Event?

also will it come with some form of graphics card?

Jul 29th hmm, looks early, when was the last time they released MacBook (iBook) so early (before the back to school time frame), i remember atleast last few years they missed the deadline

Yes, but when was the last time Intel dropped new chips or a new platform early in the back to school season? Any schedule Apple adhered to before going with Intel is a bit antiquated for predictions' sake. They will stick to Intel's release schedule more or less from now until they decide they don't want to use Intel chips anymore (if ever).

I can't see them waiting much more than a month after Intel's release of Montevina to refresh their notebooks.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I wish Apple would include full-size arrow keys on their "full-size keyboard" -- design shouldn't sacrifice usability.

...oh, and a second trackpad button would be nice, too.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

It's down 6.66 as of close today. Clearly Apple is in league with the devil!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strangeways View Post

I wish Apple would include full-size arrow keys on their "full-size keyboard" -- design shouldn't sacrifice usability.

That would be nice but I don't see it happen. For some reason, the finger gymnastics is considered to be a good trade-off to remove a short seam, it gets kind of irritating for me. I usually make a habit if just bringing along a regular mouse and ignore the finger-wagger.

I really don't have a problem with the arrow keys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's down 6.66 as of close today. Clearly Apple is in league with the devil!

That has to be a painful drop for a shareholder.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

Yes, but when was the last time Intel dropped new chips or a new platform early in the back to school season? Any schedule Apple adhered to before going with Intel is a bit antiquated for predictions' sake. They will stick to Intel's release schedule more or less from now until they decide they don't want to use Intel chips anymore (if ever).

I can't see them waiting much more than a month after Intel's release of Montevina to refresh their notebooks.

Apple doesn't have to introduce new systems when new chips are available. Keep in mind that when Apple switches to a new chip, they pretty much announce the switch for half or all of their notebook computers in one day. I think it is because they need to get a certain amount of assured supply of chips before they do that, as well as run out of stock of the previous model. Other notebook companies might have a few dozen notebook models, so they can switch one model at a time as new chip availability ramps up. So they might "beat" Apple in getting a new chip out, but there are other considerations in play too.

With Intel chips, I remember them typically waiting two months from initial production. I think there were two or three times where they got chips a bit ahead of other companies, but I think they were lower selling models.

Personally, I'm not that worried or hopeful about an update. I think the next refresh might mean a new design, and I'm not sure I will like it. Especially with the Pro notebooks, I don't like the regular MacBook keyboard, and if Apple pushes that keyboard style to the MBP, I don't think I would like it. So I ended up getting the mid 2007 model from the Apple store.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strangeways View Post

Why don't you tap the touchpad with 2 fingers to get to the Control-click menu. Works in all programs with context-sensitive menus... and of course the finder. However you may need to activate it under System Prefs -> Trackpad.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't like the regular MacBook keyboard, and if Apple pushes that keyboard style to the MBP, I don't think I would like it.

I have a slight concern about this too. I'm wishing they'd go back to the translucent black keyboard on the tibook. Way classier than the cheap looking silver-sprayed thing and the airbook spaced keyboard. nice & springy too.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Looking forward to a metal-clad MacBook.