What's going on with Apple Stock?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Can anyone explain why Apple stock is fluctuating so much & not going in a consistant upward trajectory?

- Apple is now the 3rd largest computer maker.

- Their growth goes up year after year. (Twice as much as the industry.)

- They sold a million iPhones in THREE DAYS.

- I can't even remember their last negative quarter.

What am I missing here?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Investors are playing collateral damage! Instead of holding and buying, they are selling and yet selling. It will be good for those who want to pick up and reposition some undervalued AAPL stocks.

If no news on Mac related hardware refresh or update for one day, the stock won't see the day of light. Investors seemed to recognize Apple as "Computer" company still...

Check GOOG and MSFT, there is no logical reason, global economy maybe?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

Can anyone explain why Apple stock is fluctuating so much & not going in a consistant upward trajectory?

- Apple is now the 3rd largest computer maker.

- Their growth goes up year after year. (Twice as much as the industry.)

- They sold a million iPhones in THREE DAYS.

- I can't even remember their last negative quarter.

What am I missing here?

I don't like the selling of Apple right before they report earnings.

The same thing happened to GOOG and look at what they reported and the carnage it's reeked on their stock today.

Yep, I'm a little concerned.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I don't like the selling of Apple right before they report earnings.

The same thing happened to GOOG and look at what they reported and the carnage it's reeked on their stock today.

Yep, I'm a little concerned.

You have a point. Usually the stock is increasing before an earnings call.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

You have a point. Usually the stock is increasing before an earnings call.

Look at a 10 day chart of AAPL and GOOG.

Very eery similarity. Last I check, overall market is up fractionally but AAPL is down 3%. WTF.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Apple had another awesome quarter. Who's betting on a $5+ stock drop tomorrow?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    This is what really concerned me and no one has given me information to indicate this isn't what happened:

The lead story and EPS avg that every subsequent story cited was Bloomberg's internal consensus of 1.24. If any of you had been reading AppleInsider today, the most generous EPS estimate available today or late yesterday was 1.20 (by the Bull Cross, not a juggernaut player, contributor from today). The most generous from the older school of Apple analysts was 1.10 (Shaw Wu)

What was the figure they supposedly didn't meet with the stellar 1.19 (which still soared past the EPS from last quarter - even though the other complaint was subpar comparison to Q2)? 1.24

When were all the search results relevant to the google query "apple 1.24 eps" published? After today's report.

The media 'agrees' it did not make the mark even though that number didn't exist prior. (As far as I can see - please link something to prove me wrong so I don't feel so depressed about capitalism)

They'll recover, but it's so ridiculously easy to short them if such things are fabricated.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

Apple had another awesome quarter. Who's betting on a $5+ stock drop tomorrow?

Good call. Looks like you're a bit optimistic. After hours trading shows AAPL down $18.

Fucking crazy.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Good call. Looks like you're a bit optimistic. After hours trading shows AAPL down $18.

Fucking crazy.

It's very possible that the after hours traders have true or rumored "news" that Jobs has been taken seriously ill, or that his cancer has returned. This trading is very, very negative on the publicly known ho-hum news...

On the other hand, traders these days act like a group of frightened macaques... so there could be nothing to it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Fucking crazy.

I originally entered $10+ but changed it because I thought that would be f**king crazy!

I hate it when I'm right.