Login question...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay... maybe I'm just a moron, but I can't figure this out.

One of the touted benefits of not using the "Pick your name from a list" option in Login, was that it is more secure NOT to, because an unauthorized user would need to enter both the USERNAME and the PASSWORD correctly... not just the password as you do in the list.

Sounds good on paper... but every time I turn that feature off and use the "manual entry" mode... it is auto-filling in my username every time I re-boot or log-out. What's the use of that if it's giving someone a head start...?

Am I not doing something right..? I looked for some kind of "checkbox" or something to make sure I wasn't being a dork... but can't find anything.

Any insight...?

Thanx...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    True, it always does that and I'm pretty sure it can't be turned off by normal means. Even so, they can also figure out logins by looking at privledges. It's nothing major, so long as you have a good password (I prefer random-letter 8 character ones, but that's me) you should be okay.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott F.:

<strong>Okay... maybe I'm just a moron, but I can't figure this out.

One of the touted benefits of not using the "Pick your name from a list" option in Login, was that it is more secure NOT to, because an unauthorized user would need to enter both the USERNAME and the PASSWORD correctly... not just the password as you do in the list.

Sounds good on paper... but every time I turn that feature off and use the "manual entry" mode... it is auto-filling in my username every time I re-boot or log-out. What's the use of that if it's giving someone a head start...?

Am I not doing something right..? I looked for some kind of "checkbox" or something to make sure I wasn't being a dork... but can't find anything.

Any insight...?

Thanx...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you have more than one user set up on your machine? If not, try creating another user and see if it still autofills, and which user it autofills with. Post your results too.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by pasta:

<strong>

Do you have more than one user set up on your machine? If not, try creating another user and see if it still autofills, and which user it autofills with. Post your results too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have 3 accounts... and it seems to auto-fill with the last-used login. Sure, it's useful if you want convenience, but not if you want that little added measure of "security".

I think a simple "check-box" in the Login pref's pane would be useful for that little feature.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    You cannot turn this off with the 10.1 or 10.2 from what I have seen.

Notice the lack of password expiry options.

Notice how OS X seems to have removed most of the standard unix login options (although I never use a unix gui).

Even if you setup LDAP (both IPlanet and Open LDAP) and let your password expire then the mac refuses to login and you have to change it on another unix system as the PAM that OS X uses is one 'S' short of a hit!

Don't both to complain to Apple as I already have on be-half of my company and they have done diddly squat.

Sorry for the rant.

Dobby
  • Reply 5 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    By default the login window retains the name of the last person to log in. To make the login window not display this information, do the following:

Edit the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist. You'll need to be have root privileges, so you'll most likely want to open the terminal and sudo pico /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist. Add the following two lines right after the &lt;dict&gt; tag:

&lt;key&gt;AlwaysClearUserField&lt;/key&gt;

&lt;true/&gt;

When you log out, the user name field in the login window will be blank the next time you go to log in.

HTH
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>By default the login window retains the name of the last person to log in. To make the login window not display this information, do the following:

Edit the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist. You'll need to be have root privileges, so you'll most likely want to open the terminal and sudo pico /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist. Add the following two lines right after the &lt;dict&gt; tag:

&lt;key&gt;AlwaysClearUserField&lt;/key&gt;

&lt;true/&gt;

When you log out, the user name field in the login window will be blank the next time you go to log in.

HTH</strong><hr></blockquote>

&lt;John Lovitz&gt; aaa-HAA!!! &lt;/John Lovitz&gt;

Sooooo... If my pea-brain understands this correctly... it actually IS something that could be controlled via a pref somewhere if written... right?

Like a TinkerTool or something could simply add this feature... right? (or Apple, if they wanted to).

SWEET! Someone... get on that, right away!

- Scott
  • Reply 7 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Apple posted a app specifially for this, but I couldn't fin it anymore.

Search the <a href="http://www.info.apple.com/"; target="_blank">Support</a> from Apple if you really want to find it. (I didn't found it...)

[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>Apple posted a app specifially for this, but I couldn't fin it anymore.

Search the <a href="http://www.info.apple.com/"; target="_blank">Support</a> from Apple if you really want to find it. (I didn't found it...)

[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

THANX! Found it here:

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106691"; target="_blank">KB Article</a>