Firewire Charging and the iPhone 3G

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I doubt I am alone in being dissapointed with Firewire Charging not being supported on the 3G. I have a bunch of old apple FW chargers, which can now only be used on my broken Nano. In My opinion, Apple should have allowed the Phone to charge of Firewire. Is there anything they lose by doing so?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    USB and USB hubs are much, much more ubiquitous.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

USB and USB hubs are much, much more ubiquitous.

But that doesn't explain why the dropped FW. iPods for years had connectors that allowed you to use either, for both power and connectivity.

I guess it was just one area they looked at in order to drop costs. They removed FW on iPods a while ago, so removing it on iPhones makes sense from a common-source/parts point of view.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I just find it annoying when I find a cord to charge my iPhone only to discover that it's a FW cord from an old iPod that I owned. All I want to do is charge the phone! Just hook the conductors up and power the battery. It's not rocket science.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I was wondering why my AC adapters weren't supported until I saw they all had FW ports on them. Not sure if I have a USB adapter, since the adapter was dropped after 4G. At least the universal dock is supported.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    I do not have a BSEE, but I've got to think there's some way to make a iPhone 3G dock connector cable to FW400 that would convert the FW400 power spec to something iPhone 3G could handle.

Perhaps someone better versed in this engineering discipline could chime in?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I still use my firewire cord to charge my iPhone. My iMac doesnt have enough usb ports and using firewire allows me to have it always pluged in...and I hate how it opens up iPhoto every time i dock it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    The only alternative I've found is this:

http://cablejive.com/iphone_3g_charge_converter.html

I haven't used it, but I'm thinking about getting it... Wanted to get some opinions first... I hate it 'cause most of my friends have dock stations, and on the Bose one I can't get it to charge... Pretty lame...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I bought one when it first came out a few months ago for my iPhone 3G and Bose SoundDock. It's pretty good at what it does-charge the iphone 3G while using the SoundDock. The unit is larger than I'd like it to be, but that must have to do with the internal structure of it. It could be a little cheaper (I think I paid about $40) but a new Bose Sounddock would have been 10X more expensive. Give it a try. I don't think anything else has made it to market yet.