How to uninstall software installed with an installer?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If the title isn't confusing enough for you, I'll explain a little more.

I would like to know how to uninstall a piece of software that was installed in OS X with an "Installer"? Most of the software installs just consist of copying a folder into the Applications directory or wherever you want it and launch it from there. However, occasionally there is software that installs with an installer and I don't know how to uninstall it completely from the system.

I thought there might be an equivalent to "Windoze Add/Remove" feature in OS X, and there might be, I just don't know where it is.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Generally, with Apps in OS X it's just drag to the Trash and delete. If you want to be really thorough, you open the hard drive, then go to Users/(the icon with the house symbol>/Library/Preferences and look for it's prefrences. Try typing in the app name and seeing if that gets you anything. If not, type com.(the company that makes the software).(the software).plist. Or you could try searching for part of the application's name in Sherlock (I.E. Messenger if you are uninstalling MSN messenger.) and look at what's there, and delete what doesn't appear to be related to the system and attached to whatever application.

(EDIT: On second thought, with OS X the System wont let you delete system components, so blast away at what you find. Most of the components are hidden anyway and wont be found with Sherlock. Just look through the list and delete things related to MSN Messenger if any. My list came up with an ungodly ammount of AOL Instant Messenger folders/files, and a few msn ones. Plus a few icons for AIM.)

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Thanks for the input. I already knew about the drag folder to trash thing, but was wondering about Installer installed applications. I think your input has helped me greatly. I just thought there might be an "Apple automated" way of uninstalling the application.

• Reply 3 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Mac installers should and usually do uninstall as well as install. The only exception I've seen to this so far is Maya, which installs an uninstaller (confused yet?) with the application. Ideally if everyone played by the rules, no installers would be needed. But <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mac"; target="_blank">certain companies </a> can't help but make things harder than they should be.

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 9
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Mac installers should and usually do uninstall as well as install. The only exception I've seen to this so far is Maya, which installs an uninstaller (confused yet?) with the application. Ideally if everyone played by the rules, no installers would be needed. But <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mac"; target="_blank">certain companies </a> can't help but make things harder than they should be.

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

HEHEHE, nice shot with that link there! I must admit, however, they did a good job with Office X. Drag and drop, no installer crap.

Anyway, normally when a program installs with an installer icon, it'll generate an install log. You can read through this to see if there's any loose files floating around. Apple has also recommended to developers that they keep their entire program in a bundle (folder) to make things less complicated.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    BombThroat, I'm guessing you're used to Windows, where uninstalling the program is required if you dont want to go through .dll Hell or screw over the Registry. There is no such thing in Mac OS X, fear not! Apple doesn't design its operating systems using rejects from engineering school like MS does. Even if the app uses an installer to install, there are usually no other files installed besides what you see in the folder for the app or maybe it's just the app itself.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I figured that was the case but I didn't know for sure. I use Linux quite a bit but I didn't know if it was the same thing since there is rarely an "Installer" for Linux software, (mostly RPM's).

To answer your question, I am relatively new to the Mac and definitely OS X. Thanks for your input.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by pasta:

<strong>HEHEHE, nice shot with that link there! I must admit, however, they did a good job with Office X. Drag and drop, no installer crap.</strong><hr></blockquote>

True, good for them. I was thinking of the inexplicable installer for IE 5.2 that requires you to quit all running applications (except the Finder even though it's another app) and give your admin password (I assume they're tossing stuff in the System folder, yes?).

I could easily think of some other <a href="http://www.adobe.com/"; target="_blank">stagnant farts</a> who are just as guilty of making life more difficult and clinging to the bad old days of application installs. Every time I have to deal with a Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia, etc. the more I gravitate towards <a href="http://www.stone.com"; target="_blank">up-and-comers</a> and <a href="http://www.caffeinesoft.com"; target="_blank">alternatives</a>.

[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 9
    wcxwcx Posts: 3member
    It's not actually quite accurate that Mac OS X has no need for uninstallers. There is a program called DesInstaller (not a typo) which can be found on Version Tracker. DesInstaller parses the .pkg receipt and properly deletes all installed files, not just what you see in /Applications.

I didn't write the program but I certainly wouldn't use Mac OS X without it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    dumpsterdumpster Posts: 16member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong> <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mac"; target="_blank">certain companies </a> can't help but make things harder than they should be.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I develop installs for Windows 'OS'--you can not know my pain

What's even more amazing: I mentioned Mozilla's "just-drag-it-to-the-drive" installation and was told " we don't want that: the user MUST be presented with a unified look-and-feel and MUST go by our requirements rules. It's ironic: PC users always talk about the "customisability" of the platform, but all things Windows are about preventing the off-step/customised use . . . .