iPhone Back Up Grrrrrr

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple needs to fix this. iPhone back ups are taking forever and there's no option to skip the backup and just fscking sync' the damn phone. I think my phone has been backing up for about 50 minutes and I'm only using 7 Gigs of the phone. I've been waiting 20 minuets for the last little bit of progress bar to complete.

Something is wrong with it for sure. Plus there should be an option to skip the backup or throttle it so it only backs up once a week.

iTunes update in ....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's ridiculous. It seems like it backs up everything - or maybe just all the apps? - every time. Somehow I suspect the lack of a file system is to blame...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Are you deleting your backups in iTunes? If you are you shouldn't

If you're not, maybe you should. Once deleted, start a brand new backup set.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    No I haven't. When posting this thread I found two backups. I deleted the oldest one. I just tried another sync and it's backing up again. Second time today.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

No I haven't. When posting this thread I found two backups. I deleted the oldest one. I just tried another sync and it's backing up again. Second time today.

If you delete the oldest one the other one becomes useless. My thinking here is that your backups have somehow gotten corrupted prompting a full backup each time.

You can't disable backups but it should not be taking anywhere near 50 min to backup. My iPhone is 6 gigs full and takes around 1 minutes to backup.

Delete all the backups. Then connect iPhone. It will do a full backup which may take a while. Once that backup is done you now have the full backup. The iPhone should then only perform an incremental backup which should be pretty quick.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

If you delete the oldest one the other one becomes useless. My thinking here is that your backups have somehow gotten corrupted prompting a full backup each time.

You can't disable backups but it should not be taking anywhere near 50 min to backup. My iPhone is 6 gigs full and takes around 1 minutes to backup.

Delete all the backups. Then connect iPhone. It will do a full backup which may take a while. Once that backup is done you now have the full backup. The iPhone should then only perform an incremental backup which should be pretty quick.

Actually the last one took almost no time at all. Where do you get this information that the the backups listed in the pref's are incremental and require the first one to be useful?

They may well be corrupted causing a longer back up but that would still be apple's problem to solve. This is something that's going on on Mac and Windows version of iTunes. The problem is wide spread.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I have written a small Windows program called "iPhone Backup Switch". The program will allow you to enable and disable the iPhone backup feature in iTunes. I have tested it pretty well in Windows XP and VISTA. There is a backup feature that will backup the iTunes configuration and let you restore a previous version, if something goes wrong. Comes complete with installer and uninstaller.

Download it here.

Spread the word please!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Apple needs to fix this. iPhone back ups are taking forever and there's no option to skip the backup and just fscking sync' the damn phone. I think my phone has been backing up for about 50 minutes and I'm only using 7 Gigs of the phone. I've been waiting 20 minuets for the last little bit of progress bar to complete.

Something is wrong with it for sure. Plus there should be an option to skip the backup or throttle it so it only backs up once a week.

iTunes update in ....

I agree 100%, however I've found this fix until Apple gets to the root of the problem. Takes a little bit of effort, but has fixed the problem for me.

Check the post by "geauxracerx"

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....98363&tstart=0
  • Reply 8 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dnederlof View Post

I have written a small Windows program called "iPhone Backup Switch". The program will allow you to enable and disable the iPhone backup feature in iTunes. I have tested it pretty well in Windows XP and VISTA. There is a backup feature that will backup the iTunes configuration and let you restore a previous version, if something goes wrong. Comes complete with installer and uninstaller.

Download it here.

Spread the word please!

Looks good, now write a Mac version
  • Reply 9 of 16
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Looks good, now write a Mac version

I'm using iBaRes http://groups.google.com/group/ibare...res---homepage

I haven't had to do a restore or anything from it but others report it works.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    My iPhone 3G v2.0.2 backups took several hours to complete. Last night I left the phone syncing and backing up for 18 full hours before I finally gave up and hit the X button. However, I put the phone in airplane mode (it was already in it) and turned off the WiFi and tried to backup again, AND ..... IT WORKED!! It took 5 minutes or less to do the backup! I tried it several times and it works. It seems that the WiFi, when left on, causes the massive delays!! I do not know why, I am no iPhone expert! Anyway, I hope this helps some of you out there.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Interesting - I wonder if the USB hub issue is related?

1) If it fails to find a solid USB connection, it falls back to attempt a WiFi connection? (Perhaps a piece of upcoming-but-not-yet-ready WiFi sync code that got left in by accident?)

2) This sends it into a tizzy, and it takes hours, if it ever does complete.

3) Giving it a USB connection it can plow through works, or...

4) Turning off WiFi to make it stick to just the USB lets it connect correctly.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    You could be right! I have no idea what is going on inside!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    No I doubt that. I had a problem with slow backups so I went into iTunes and deleted all the back ups. It seemed to clean out some bad incremental and after the next backup everything's been fine. That was weeks and weeks ago.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

No I doubt that. I had a problem with slow backups so I went into iTunes and deleted all the back ups. It seemed to clean out some bad incremental and after the next backup everything's been fine. That was weeks and weeks ago.

Can u try it with WIFI ON and OFF to see if there is a difference? I certainly can feel a major delay when WIFI is ON, and I had deleted the backups several times!\
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Apple needs to fix this.

Sorry, I must have missed this? Is there really any need to back up Grrrrr on your iPhone?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Sorry, I must have missed this? Is there really any need to back up Grrrrr on your iPhone?

Just installed 2.1

Backup used to take 10 minutes now 1:46

Scrolling faster, page loading and the lovely dropped calls feature has gone...

Not found any pain yet, am sure there is some hopefully only minor, but so far it's al good..