Question about MobileMe and Mail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am a bit confused about how MobileMe works with Mail. Does it only do push functionality with the "[email protected]" email address or can I use it with my other pop personal mail accounts. I have a couple of email accounts loaded into Mail as well as my iphone and I would love for them to be linked. If I send an email with a non me.com email account from my iphone should it appear in my sent messages on my computer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Not if it's a POP account.

If you have your POP account forward all email to your me.com address, it will be pushed to your iPhone when it comes in. Then if you respond with your me.com address, it will also show up in your sent mail folders in other places, like your computer. But just setting up the POP account on the iPhone won't push it or sync it with other places. The best you can do is select "leave mail on server" in your POP account, but that's annoying because you end up getting new email everywhere.

But I want to clarify what push email is: Push isn't required for syncing your mail folders. That will work with any IMAP mail account, but it won't happen with POP accounts. With any IMAP account, when you send an email from your iphone, it should also appear in any other place where you use that account - your computer, webmail, etc. Push just notifies your iphone as soon as the email comes in.

POP mail sucks, especially if you often check it and respond to it from multiple places. But mobileme-type push won't do that much for you aside from getting email to you a bit sooner. What you really want is an IMAP account. You may want to see if your email provider has an option to use it rather than POP.