Looking forward...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What do you guys think are key things that Apple needs for it's next OS? Here is what I think, and a quick reasoning for these things:
  1. New Color Options

2. More .Mac Exclusive Features

3. A "Live Help Desk"

4. New Look for Safari

Number One: I have always though Apple needed a new look, and several people want a new theme instead of Aqua. But I figured it out...most of us, if not all, who want a new theme don't want a new look and interface, but the ability to be able to choose different colors. And since a bunch of people have just switched to Apple with the release of Intel Mac's and Leopard, it would be a unwise choice to force all those new customers learn a two new interfaces in such a short time frame.

Number Two/Three: Now these two are really the same feature, but the third is just more specific then the second. I think .Mac users should get major advantages, even more so then they do now. Right now people have little reason to fork over a hundred dollars a year for that service. However, if they added key OS X Features that require .Mac, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Now these features shouldn't be features needed for day to day computing. That would just be annoying, and almost as gay as the forty dollars a month you pay for the new iPhone 3G. However, if the features were something extra, such as a "Live Help Desk", where you could freely chat with an Apple Repesentive at any time, either to buy stuff (using your .Mac billing info, they could easily order you something and save you the time -- of course, there would have to be some sort of confirmation via email or something before the order is final), or more importanly this "Live Help Desk" would be your gateway to help. When you Mac isn't working, when you don't know how to use some software, you could chat with someone from Apple and get help right away. It would be like having your very own Mac Genuis built into OS X. Plus, they could even add software that will attempt to find and fix problems, or tell you what the problem is so you cand fix it.

Number Four: This isn't exactly what you might think. I think Safari should stay exactly the way it is. However, creating a "Safari Mini" would be great. This would be a small browser application that, when your using it, will be a small window in the background. What I mean by that? Well, when you open the app, the background will go black (as if your in Dashboard) and the Mini App will be right there. You could, if you wish, open more then one window on this page. Why not just add this to Dashboard? Because adding it to the Dashboard could get crowded, and for someone who uses Dashboard a lot, I wouldn't want to loose my funnies or weather just because I use Safari Mini.

What other features do you wish Leapord had? Tell us about it here and discuss about other people's ideas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I like the live help desk feature you're talking about. Apple could even provide screen sharing with a help desk personell to walk you through everything you need to do. You can already do screen sharing with other users through Leopard so it shouldn't be hard. I like this as someone who is a Mac genius...yet...

They should also add some kind of TV recording capability to the Mac. Front Row is a bit like Microsoft's Media Center, if they added TV recording I would totally go for that. Of course Apple would probably be more likley to add that to Apple TV than to a Mac. Hmmm

MULTI TOUCH - This will probably be added to all macs in due time. I can't wait, the iPhone UI is so brilliant and most of us would like to see it implemented in some way on our macs too.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shutterrelease View Post

I like the live help desk feature you're talking about. Apple could even provide screen sharing with a help desk personell to walk you through everything you need to do. You can already do screen sharing with other users through Leopard so it shouldn't be hard. I like this as someone who is a Mac genius...yet...

They should also add some kind of TV recording capability to the Mac. Front Row is a bit like Microsoft's Media Center, if they added TV recording I would totally go for that. Of course Apple would probably be more likley to add that to Apple TV than to a Mac. Hmmm

MULTI TOUCH - This will probably be added to all macs in due time. I can't wait, the iPhone UI is so brilliant and most of us would like to see it implemented in some way on our macs too.

I like the TiVo like stuff built in Mac OS X, and I like the TiVo added to Apple TV even more. yet another reason to buy Apple TV. :-D
  • Reply 3 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Well killing or changing the Aqua look once and for all could be interesting. As for .Mac, that's really a service more than an OS feature. At least I view it that way. And as for a new look for Safari. If I had a list of 1000 things that probably wouldn't be on it.

First things first I'd make iLife be part of the OS, and provide the full iLife suite on a second disk with the OS. You pay $149 and iLife and iWork are included. Makes the whole thing a lot simpler, and enables everyone to have the latest iLife and iWork to be more productive. Having the OS with the latest versions of iLife and iWork at $149 is the perfect price, and much better value. It makes good sense all round. But I don't expect Apple to do it, that would be too simple a solution. All those extra $20 they get per sale would far exceed the money they make off iLife and iWork, and it would make buying the new OS not only more attractive, but a simpler procedure. There wouldn't be any extra purchases required to get one up to speed, and that would create product simplification (an Apple trait) and make people more productive all round. No trial this, trail that, just install Snow Leopard and get on with it.