Can Iphone Record Audio?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I am using my old Ipod to record phone calls as well as take notes using a Griffin Imike. I was just wondering if anyone knew if the Iphone will have this capability - either using an external device like the Griffin or the internal microphone on the phone. An app that would allow the recording of conference calls while using the phone would be ideal! Anyone trying to do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't know about recording calls, but there are voice recorders available on the app store.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I don't know about recording calls, but there are voice recorders available on the app store.

Yeah - I see there are three or four - sweet - nothing to record a call though - that seems pretty lame considering we ARE talking about a PHONE here. I guess that goes along with the camera not being able to record video... Maybe in the future there will be something for this...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    There might not be call-recording applications due to the legal implications. It's not legal in most states to record a call without the consent of both parties. Probably just a hassle to even deal with it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

There might not be call-recording applications due to the legal implications. It's not legal in most states to record a call without the consent of both parties. Probably just a hassle to even deal with it.

That shouldn't have any bearing on the software at all. The point is - if you WANT to record the call - then you just ask the other person if you can. I am sure there are hundreds of attorneys out there who would love this kind of ap. Great for collection calls also! It's perfectly legal to have software on your phone that can record a call (people use this all of the time). Someone needs to create this ap - it'll sell like hot cakes.

As for conference calls - there are free services all over the place that will record the call - so that really is not an issue at all - I would just like the convenience and control of having it on the phone and saving the file. There must be something though - maybe liability issues? Apple/AT&T restrictions?

Update: Just got this email:

Jeff,

You will not find any iPhone apps that can record phone calls. Apple has restricted developers of 3rd party applications from having any access to the phone conversation. This is out of our hands unfortunately. Thanks for writing!

Regards,

SpeakEasy Development Team

Zarboo Software