iPhones in Hong Kong

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I recently purchased an iPhone (the original version, not 3G) in the US and plan to take it to HK in a month where I will live for a year. Since I am leaving the US I am obviously going to forgo the 2 year contract with ATT. However the "unlocking" process is a little unfamiliar to me. I know I will be able to unlock it and use it in HK, but I am looking for a little more detail. If I have it unlocked in HK will I be able to use SIM cards from anywhere (ie China or the US) with my iPhone after I leave HK or will it only work exclusively in HK? Where would I go to get it unlocked? How much would it cost, roughly? What does the "unlocking" process entail (is it just adding software or is their hardware also involved)? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    saintgsaintg Posts: 5member
    Hmm...I am surprised no one had a response for this one. Can anyone point me in a direction to get info on this subject? Perhaps a link or another forum? Thanks!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I think no one reply because we are not allowed to talk about it by forum rules.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If it's unlocked, it's unlocked, period. If you unlock it in Hong Kong, it will be unlocked everywhere. You can use standard GSM (2G) networks anywhere in the world that has them, with your 2G SIM card, . That's just about everywhere except Japan, not sure about Korea.

I think you can get it unlocked at Apliu Street in Sham Shui Po. Go into the mobile phone shops behind the street market and start asking around.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SaintG View Post

I recently purchased an iPhone (the original version, not 3G) in the US and plan to take it to HK in a month where I will live for a year. Since I am leaving the US I am obviously going to forgo the 2 year contract with ATT. However the "unlocking" process is a little unfamiliar to me. I know I will be able to unlock it and use it in HK, but I am looking for a little more detail. If I have it unlocked in HK will I be able to use SIM cards from anywhere (ie China or the US) with my iPhone after I leave HK or will it only work exclusively in HK? Where would I go to get it unlocked? How much would it cost, roughly? What does the "unlocking" process entail (is it just adding software or is their hardware also involved)? Thanks in advance!

You can try to just unlock it yourself using Pwnage 2.0.1

For 1st gen iPhone, that's it, your done, good to go.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/4293...nagetool-2-0-1

Just read up the blogs and stuff to be aware. Good luck.

It is software alone, no hardware involved.

However, once it is done, you have to install the original firmware to "re-virginise" etc.

if you need official servicing.