Lock guest desktop picture

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a guest log in account enabled with my contact details on the desktop in case my laptop's stolen or lost.

I'm trying to work out how to stop anyone changing the desktop picture if it's stolen, by requiring an Admin password but can't find the option anywhere.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    There's no GUI option for that. You might be able to do it by tampering with file permissions. I'd try searching macosxhints.com.

It seems a little misguided in relation to computer theft, though. What are you trying to accomplish?

If the thief sees the contact info at all, they'll either remove it (installing a fresh Leopard off a pirated copy will do that), or chuck the computer into trash if they can't.

On the other hand, if the thief sells the computer without logging onto the Guest account and doesn't see the background, then you don't need to lock it down.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    I speak from experience.

I had my laptop stolen last year. I had Undercover installed, and the Firmware password enabled and a basic Guest account setup. The thief was unable to re-install the OS but replaced the desktop so my information was removed.

He then sold the laptop on eBay and the guy who bought it realized it might be stolen due to the presence of my main account on the log in screen. He googled my name, found my website and emailed me. In the meantime, the Undercover software had located his ISP the moment he logged on (the app also takes screen grabs and images of the user and emails them back - it's brilliant).

I got my laptop back, fully intact with all my data.

I want my information on the desktop because not everyone might be so clued up to google my name, or if found (not stolen) it's more of an incentive to contact me if the info is easy to find - rather than "oh, I found this laptop. Don't know who's it is so I might as well keep it..."
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

I speak from experience.

And I speak from logic. It trumps experience.
    Quote:

I had my laptop stolen last year. I had Undercover installed, and the Firmware password enabled and a basic Guest account setup. The thief was unable to re-install the OS but replaced the desktop so my information was removed.

He then sold the laptop on eBay and the guy who bought it realized it might be stolen due to the presence of my main account on the log in screen. He googled my name, found my website and emailed me. In the meantime, the Undercover software had located his ISP the moment he logged on (the app also takes screen grabs and images of the user and emails them back - it's brilliant).

I got my laptop back, fully intact with all my data.

Congrats!

To me, your experience supports *not* locking down the desktop. The thief opened the guest account, saw the desktop, changed it, and sold the computer, apparently believing that changing the desktop was enough not to get caught. What makes you think that he would have sold the computer at all if he had been unable to - superficially - get rid of the info?
    Quote:

I want my information on the desktop because not everyone might be so clued up to google my name, or if found (not stolen) it's more of an incentive to contact me if the info is easy to find - rather than "oh, I found this laptop. Don't know who's it is so I might as well keep it..."

The background on guest account works fine to give your info to the legit finder. But I can't see how *locking* it could possibly help you get your computer back. The legit finder won't change the background by accident, and any halfway rational thief will either change it or throw away the laptop.

Undercover is a decent idea because it's silent. Another place where the thief probably won't look, but a buyer will eventually, is the frame under the battery. Magic marker straight on plastic, or a sticker.

If you really want your info staring the thief in the face, increasing the likelihood they'll throw away the computer, install Onyx.app. It makes it easy to put arbitrary text strings in the login window.