Please Tell Me This Is A Lost Cause...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Because I wouldn't mind getting a new TV.

Several years ago, we bought one of those stunningly cheap Advent HDTVs with a CRT. It's been a wonderful TV, but a few days ago, the "zoom" function quit working (it's a 4:3 set, but I can zoom it to 16:9 for widescreen viewing). I've tried on two remotes, and it seems like it just plain doesn't work.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    "It's a lost cause"
  • Reply 2 of 13
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Awesome! Off to Best Buy I go!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    [hippy]I actually hate this disposable society that we have become, where it has become beneficial to replace than to fix.[/hippy]
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Well, it's not like I'm just going to toss a 32" HDTV in the yard. It'll go downstairs and be used.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So you want a new TV then? Otherwise you wouldn't be telling us to say that.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    It's not a lost cause but the fix involves a series of pulleys and several yards of yarn.

You don't happen to have any cats around do you? If you did, then you could leave the decision of getting another television up to the owner so they could consider the best interests of their cats.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Because I wouldn't mind getting a new TV.

Several years ago, we bought one of those stunningly cheap Advent HDTVs with a CRT. It's been a wonderful TV, but a few days ago, the "zoom" function quit working (it's a 4:3 set, but I can zoom it to 16:9 for widescreen viewing). I've tried on two remotes, and it seems like it just plain doesn't work.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Any TV repairman will tell you that a set that is several years old is very likely not worth the associated repair costs of any but the most minor repairs. Average life for a TV is 5 years.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    That's what I thought. Today, we bought a nice LG 37" for not too much and charged it to Trumptman.

The older set will serve us downstairs, where we don't need widescreen.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I wondered about that when they called me to confirm the billing address was different than the shipping address. I told them it was a mistake and to send out the LG 3.7" television.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    You two have something you want to share with us?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I wondered about that when they called me to confirm the billing address was different than the shipping address. I told them it was a mistake and to send out the LG 3.7" television.

Ooh! That'll fit right in the console of my truck!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    CRTs are bad for the environment vs. LCDs, I hear... \
  • Reply 13 of 13
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

CRTs are bad for the environment vs. LCDs, I hear... \

Another Algore copycat.