Apple set to drop Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update on developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week is preparing to equip its developer community with the first pre-release builds of the next maintenance and security update to its Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with the matter say Apple Developer Connection members and other high-profile software makers could receive the first test builds of the software prior to the start of the weekend. The first seedings will almost certainly arrive by the middle of next week, they say.

While details of the release are few and far between, a build train of the upcoming Leopard update will most likely include support for a new wave of Mac notebooks due later this fall. In general, builds should arrive numbered off the 9Fxx build train.

Apple's last update to Leopard -- Mac OS X 10.5.4 -- arrived on June 30th, a little less than one month after developers were first seeded with the software.

That release patched a major glitch with Adobe's Creative Suite 3.0 software and also laid the groundwork for Apple's bug-ridden MobileMe service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    The more CS3 bug fixes the better.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Exactly! The "bug ridden" MobileMe service. Thank you for telling it how it is!
  • Reply 3 of 19
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    People get ready. The build train is coming.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Ya, cause there hasn't been enough bitching about MobileMe problems, right? The inclusion of that in the article was almost as lame as your comment. Everybody knows they had problems, wtf already.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    New features please!

I would liked to see the Spaces feature become more useful, right now I have no use for it even on my little MacBook.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    I hope to see some updates to the apps - iCal and Mail - and to the system to allow immediate PUSH of calendar and mail out to MobileMe!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Nobody's taking bets on whether DNS will be patched as a security update before 10.5.5 or if it will be bundled in 10.5.5?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    It would be nice if they could finally sort out all of the graphical issues with the Feb '08 MBPs before they release newer ones! Oh and wake-from-sleep issues as well; I still have to wait the minute or so this machine take to fully enter sleep, just to make sure it won't randomly wake back up in my bag.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Nobody's taking bets on whether DNS will be patched as a security update before 10.5.5 or if it will be bundled in 10.5.5?

That's more an issue for 10.5 Server, though of course some people do use client MacOS X to run DNS servers.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

That's more an issue for 10.5 Server, though of course some people do use client MacOS X to run DNS servers.

From what I understand, the issue also affects clients as well, which is why a fix was issued for Windows Clients and Servers - although the risk is greater for servers, clients are affected to (Macrumors forum there was a good discussion).
  • Reply 11 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I imagine a few programmers met Steve for the first and last time in that department!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lepton View Post

I hope to see some updates to the apps - iCal and Mail - and to the system to allow immediate PUSH of calendar and mail out to MobileMe!

That is soooo important. Has to be coming soon though ...
  • Reply 13 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lepton View Post

Hear hear!

And Address Book.

Instant forced push from all three Mac apps!!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    mcnaughamcnaugha Posts: 27member
    DNS security fix will be out before 10.5.5 and 10.5.5 will incorporate it.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mcnaughamcnaugha Posts: 27member
    I can't wait to see what the build number is. I'm hoping it's not F so that I can slate this article's blatent gossiping and attempting to guess.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    will airport work again? :/
  • Reply 17 of 19
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

will airport work again? :/

What do you mean "work again"? It works fine with 10.5.4
  • Reply 18 of 19
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    the only issue I have experienced with 10.5.4, is that of my mac not staying asleep when I make it go to sleep, it just wakes up a sec or so after I sleep it. It seems to happen after I have it up and running for a while, I can solve the issue when it happens by rebooting, and then it will stay asleep. Any ideas what is causing this
  • Reply 19 of 19
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    It sounds like you have a process that is running which could be network or system based which is causing your mac to wake suddenly.