PowerPC G5 will not boot (from CD, single-user, verbose...) is it dead?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As the title states, my G5 (10.4.11) will not boot. It gets to the grey Apple screen, and then freezes there, no progress dial, and the fan starts racing after a couple of minutes sitting there. Here is what I have tried so far and the results:

-Will not boot normally - freezes at grey screen

-Will not boot from CD (DiskWarrior, 10.4 Install disc OR 10.3 Install disc - which came with the G5, each time it freezes at grey screen

-Will not boot in safe mode - freezes at grey screen

-Will not get into single-user mode, freezes at "DART-enabled"

-Will not get into verbose mode, freezes at "DART-enabled"

-Holding option when starting up allows me to select a drive (hard drive or CD), but then freezes at grey screen when attempting to boot from either drive

-Option-Command-Shift-Delete does nothing when starting up, again freezes at grey screen

-I CAN get into open firmware & eject cd, cannot boot up from there - it freezes at the grey screen with a circle w/a line through it

-Attempted to reset NVRAM from Open Firmware, "reset-nvram" and "set-defaults" both were ok, then it froze after "reset-all"

I have tried everything I could think of and everything I can find - Does anyone have any possible suggestions or ideas for what I can do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pepsipepsi Posts: 55member
    I just had this exact same thing happen to me at work.

I tried everything, including reinstalling the os by starting in target mode and installing from my powerbook. Turns out that I didn't even need to do that.

Pull the video card, and the RAM. Re-install them. See if that works.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svman8 View Post

As the title states, my G5 (10.4.11) will not boot. It gets to the grey Apple screen, and then freezes there, no progress dial, and the fan starts racing after a couple of minutes sitting there. Here is what I have tried so far and the results:

-Will not boot from CD (DiskWarrior, 10.4 Install disc OR 10.3 Install disc - which came with the G5, each time it freezes at grey screen

-Holding option when starting up allows me to select a drive (hard drive or CD), but then freezes at grey screen when attempting to boot from either drive

-Option-Command-Shift-Delete does nothing when starting up, again freezes at grey screen

-I CAN get into open firmware & eject cd, cannot boot up from there - it freezes at the grey screen with a circle w/a line through it

-Attempted to reset NVRAM from Open Firmware, "reset-nvram" and "set-defaults" both were ok, then it froze after "reset-all"

I have tried everything I could think of and everything I can find - Does anyone have any possible suggestions or ideas for what I can do?

i've got the same problem here, i changed

- ram

- harddisk

- videocard

- airport express card

the freeze after "dart-enabled" is still there, sometimes the g5 will boot up normal, but most of the time it hangs.

i think it is the logic board ... so ... goodbye g5
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svman8 View Post

Here is what I have tried so far and the results:

Your attempts and the outcome indicate rather a hardware failure than anything else. From your side, what you can do is to revert the machine to its stock configuration (with memory, hard drive etc. from Apple) and try again. If nothing changes, only Apple could repair it.