Apple drops first build of Mac OS X 10.5.5 with warning

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As expected, Apple on Thursday afternoon provided its vast developer community with the first pre-release build of Mac OS X 10.5.5, but warned developers not to use this initial version of the software with Macs that contain integrated graphics chips.

"Do not install on the following machines: MacBook Air, MacBook, Mac Mini, iMac (with Intel integrated graphics)," the company is reported to have told developers in a set of seed notes accompanying the release, though it doesn't say when Apple will resolve the temporary graphics glitch.

People familiar with the matter say the first seed arrived labeled as Mac OS X 10.5.5 build 9F5.

Developers evaluating the beta software were asked to focus their testing efforts on a dozen and a half core system components. Among them were AirPort, FileSync, the Finder, graphics drivers, iCal, iChat, Networking, Text Services, Time Machine, and ExpressCard & USB modems.

The release also addresses 82 bugs discovered or outstanding since the release of Mac OS X 10.5.4, those familiar with the software say. Â*Among the significant issues mended in 9F5 seed are kernel crashes in Dashboard or with physical memory addresses larger than 4GB, multiple problems with iCal that include events, scripting, syncing, and several glitches with networking and printer sharing. Â*Text handling has also allegedly been improved.

On Wednesday, AppleInsider reported that Apple was preparing the first pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.5.5 -- the latest of an ongoing string of maintenance and security update to its Leopard operating system -- for distribution prior to the weekend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As expected, Apple on Thursday afternoon provided its vast developer community with the first pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.5.5, but warned developers not to use the software with Macs that contain integrated graphics chips.

"Do not install on the following machines: MacBook Air, MacBook, Mac Mini, iMac (with Intel integrated graphics),"

Quote:

Developers evaluating the beta software were asked to focus their testing efforts on a dozen and a half core system components. Among them were AirPort, ....

Ok, so test Airport, but don't install on the machines most likely to use Airport?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    New nvidia chips with dedicated Graphics Cards?? Product Transition?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post

New nvidia chips with dedicated Graphics Cards?? Product Transition?

so MB, MBA and Mac Mini users won't get 10.5.5?
  • Reply 4 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macaroni View Post

new nvidia chips with dedicated graphics cards?? Product transition?

What?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joedrc View Post

so mb, mba and mac mini users won't get 10.5.5?

Huh?!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Intel can't make good drivers.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

That's probably right. I heard that Apple is readying end-of-life on the mini, the macbook and the macbook air. Oh yeah, the iMac, too.

• Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What?!

Huh?!

Tee hee!
  • Reply 8 of 29
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Among the significant issues mended in 9F5 seed are kernel crashes in Dashboard

This is good to hear. Several times in the past month I've noticed both my cores pegged at 100% utilization. Checking "top" I found that Dashboard was eating every shred of CPU it could get. Killing the process dropped my CPU utilization down to single digits. Whether that qualifies as a "kernel crash" is questionable but Dashboard certainly needs work.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Intel can't make good drivers.

I'm pretty sure no GPU maker directly makes the drivers used in OS X. I believe because of the tight integration with the OpenGL pipeline, Quartz Extreme, and the Core APIs, Apple develops all the graphics drivers themselves. GPU makers help of course, but it's mainly Apple. So if you want to blame someone blame Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

Gee, welcome to the world. This is a public "developer" release only. Of course Apple won't exclude recent Macs upon final release.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

That's probably right. I heard that Apple is readying end-of-life on the mini, the macbook and the macbook air. Oh yeah, the iMac, too.

Heard from whom? Someone credible or just something you've read somewhere online? Remember that your response helps us decide how credible your future posts might be.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Heard from whom? Someone credible or just something you've read somewhere online? Remember that your response helps us decide how credible your future posts might be.

His "Umm" subject and the accompanying emoticon and the "oh yeah, the imac too" may be an indicator of sarcasm on his part.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I believe the source is sarcasm.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Soon, Devs will be installing it just to see what happens and looking for answers and leaking said info here and elsewhere.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    +mimic+mimic Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I believe the source is sarcasm.

Yeah, i thought that would have been obvious. \
  • Reply 17 of 29
    malicmalic Posts: 14member
    So, the biggest question of all, will 10.5.5 fix the driver issue for Diablo II / Starcraft on Nvidia Macs?

Re: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=490676
  • Reply 18 of 29
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Looks like maybe tonight's security update with DNS patched was held up until the developer build of 10.5.5 could be assembled. With all of the public grousing about DNS not being patched yet, Apple threw 10.5.5 together without all of the graphics drivers being included. Just speculating.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Looks like maybe tonight's security update with DNS patched was held up until the developer build of 10.5.5 could be assembled. With all of the public grousing about DNS not being patched yet, Apple threw 10.5.5 together without all of the graphics drivers being included. Just speculating.

Why would a security patch for public released software need a private developer release?

Besides, from the uproar inside the security community, Apple should had stopped work on this pre-release of 10.5.5 if it was holding up the DNS patch.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Why would a security patch for public released software need a private developer release?

You do realize the developer release of 10.5.5 is going to be applied on top of this security release?

Quote:

Besides, from the uproar inside the security community, Apple should had stopped work on this pre-release of 10.5.5 if it was holding up the DNS patch.

Ever heard of risk assessment? And have you never known Apple to respond to public outcry?