cant login as root!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When ever you login to root user your type in su.

The next line of text in the terminal is Password:

After that I can't type in the root password to login as root. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    root is disabled by default on Mac OS X for several reasons.

I believe you've just demonstrated one of them.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Now, to enable root...

Open Net info manager in apps->utils

Go to, from the menu, Domain->security->enable root

you can do the rest
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>root is disabled by default on Mac OS X for several reasons.

I believe you've just demonstrated one of them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Also, make sure that you have 'Display Login Window as:' set to 'Name and password entry fields'. Otherwise, you will not be able to login as root from the Login Window.

At the login window just type root or System Administrator and your root password.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>Also, make sure that you have 'Display Login Window as:' set to 'Name and password entry fields'. Otherwise, you will not be able to login as root from the Login Window.

At the login window just type root or System Administrator and your root password.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's a very bad idea to login as root from the Login Window. Use su if you don't have several terminal windows open which can easily get mixed up. Use sudo otherwise.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>Also, make sure that you have 'Display Login Window as:' set to 'Name and password entry fields'. Otherwise, you will not be able to login as root from the Login Window.

At the login window just type root or System Administrator and your root password.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats what I used to do until I realised a far better way.

Keep the "List of users with accounts on this computer" setting, just tick the "show "other user" in list for network users".

Now you can use the old select the user, then type a password if there is one.

If you need to access root or &gt;console, just select "other user" on logon it will switch to the name/password window.

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by 123:

<strong>

It's a very bad idea to login as root from the Login Window. Use su if you don't have several terminal windows open which can easily get mixed up. Use sudo otherwise.</strong><hr></blockquote>

May I ask, whats the difference between login-window root and terminal/console root?

The only time that matters would be if you had OS X in a classroom environment with a trivial/no password. Then the kiddies could access it.

From an hacker who doesn't have access to the machine, whats the difference?

Barto
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>May I ask, whats the difference between login-window root and terminal/console root?</strong><hr></blockquote>The problem has nothing to do with hackers. If you enable the root account, regardless of whether you use it in the Terminal or loginwindow, a hacker doesn't need to be sitting in front of the computer to screw with it. He or she can do it remotely.

That's not the point here, though.

If you use the root account in the Finder, you may accidentally change the permissions on some files or folders that will later cause you problems when you return to your normal user. An excellent example of this is the .DS_Store file stored in every single folder. Some people think it is a Finder "bug" when folders can't remember the view settings. They're wrong. Rather, those folders are remembering the view set by the root user, which the normal user cannot override.

It's little problems like that that most users will run into when using root. There are other much more major problems that can crop up if permissions aren't properly kept.

You *never* need to enable root on Mac OS X. Everything you need to do can be achieved through the Terminal command sudo. If you want a full root prompt in the Terminal, you don't need to "su" to root; just use "sudo -s".

[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>