Is the 1-Button USB Mouse an iBook Necessity?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just recently inherited a G3 iBook, and wanted to get a mouse for it. I've been told that ONLY a 1-button USB mouse can be used with an iBook...

Unfortunately, all vendors are out-of-stock of this item, and the manufacturer has stopped making it!

But...is this REALLY a requirement for the iBook? Can't you also use a two-button USB mouse with the iBook?

Thanks for any feedback on this....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    White iBook G3 worked just fine with a multi-button mouse. Which iBook did you inherit?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

White iBook G3 worked just fine with a multi-button mouse. Which iBook did you inherit?

Since I just got this sucker, all I know thus far is that it's

a) a White G3 iBook

b) Mac OS 9

c) Mac OS X v.10.2
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBookem View Post

I just recently inherited a G3 iBook, and wanted to get a mouse for it. I've been told that ONLY a 1-button USB mouse can be used with an iBook...

Unfortunately, all vendors are out-of-stock of this item, and the manufacturer has stopped making it!

But...is this REALLY a requirement for the iBook? Can't you also use a two-button USB mouse with the iBook?

Thanks for any feedback on this....

You were told incorrectly.

As long as you are running OS X, any USB mouse will work, no matter how many buttons it has. And the RMB will work also as you expect.

Even if you are running only Classic (OS 9), all USB mice should still work for the left button.

A G3 iBook, however, will not run Leopard so you will be running 10.4 Tiger on it. Still no problem for getting 2-button functionality. Just plug any USB mouse in and it will work. Do NOT install the software that comes with the mouse!!!