Text Message Auto Respond

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Is there sucha thing as Text Message Auto Respond? I hate when I can't respond to a text and leave people wondering if I ever got it. It could be set up like auto respond on AIM.

Add this to my Iphone wish list.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsergi View Post

Is there sucha thing as Text Message Auto Respond? I hate when I can't respond to a text and leave people wondering if I ever got it. It could be set up like auto respond on AIM.

Add this to my Iphone wish list.

Neat idea...but

few things I can see as a roadblock

A) Cost. If you have alot of people that text you

B) Annoyance to those who already assumed you got it

C) unforeseen 'loop' and what I mean by that is

Mark's phone "Hey do you want to go to the Club tonight when you get off work"

Your phone "Auto respond: Hey, I got your message but I am busy or away"

Mark's phone "Auto respond: Hey, I got your message but I am busy or away"

Your phone: Auto respond: Hey, I got your message but I am busy or away"
  • Reply 2 of 6
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.O.S.T View Post

Neat idea...but

few things I can see as a roadblock

A) Cost. If you have alot of people that text you

B) Annoyance to those who already assumed you got it

C) unforeseen 'loop' and what I mean by that is

Mark's phone "Hey do you want to go to the Club tonight when you get off work"

Your phone "Auto respond: Hey, I got your message but I am busy or away"

Mark's phone "Auto respond: Hey, I got your message but I am busy or away"

Your phone: Auto respond: Hey, I got your message but I am busy or away"

A) Most people who would want such a feature in the first place have unlimited. Also, theoretically it could be free since you're not actually prompting the send of a message.

B) The usefulness would not be to say that you're busy, but rather WHAT you're doing. Like: "At the new Batman movie, can't talk."

C) That's ridiculous. Auto-responses don't respond to auto-response messages in any instant message setting.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

A) Most people who would want such a feature in the first place have unlimited. Also, theoretically it could be free since you're not actually prompting the send of a message.

B) The usefulness would not be to say that you're busy, but rather WHAT you're doing. Like: "At the new Batman movie, can't talk."

C) That's ridiculous. Auto-responses don't respond to auto-response messages in any instant message setting.

In response to "C"

I could be mistaken but .. I strongly think it would auto-respond to an auto response message

Here is why

AOL/AIM uses IRC, the basic means of communication in an established IRC session is a channel. The channel is kept open until you terminate it

With texting on a cell phone it goes threw the Short Message Service (SMS) protocol that is about 8 steps. but it does not keep a channel 'open'

The steps of SMS

Since SMS does not keep the channel open-- Each text is treated like a 'new event'

And since each text is a 'new event' -- If you where to have a Auto-response set up its not going to know any better than to send a Auto-response message from an Auto-response message
  • Reply 4 of 6
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    does an app like this exist since ive noticed everyone whos talked about programs similar and compared to. even with the negated effects, this can still have use if your the only one that you know that has an iphone. even then i found the loop texting quite humorous.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.O.S.T View Post

In response to "C"

I could be mistaken but .. I strongly think it would auto-respond to an auto response message

Here is why

AOL/AIM uses IRC, the basic means of communication in an established IRC session is a channel. The channel is kept open until you terminate it

With texting on a cell phone it goes threw the Short Message Service (SMS) protocol that is about 8 steps. but it does not keep a channel 'open'

The steps of SMS

Since SMS does not keep the channel open-- Each text is treated like a 'new event'

And since each text is a 'new event' -- If you where to have a Auto-response set up its not going to know any better than to send a Auto-response message from an Auto-response message

Just like with e-mail systems, you solve the problem with software. No more than one auto-reply per day is sent to any given number.