iPhone nano... Again?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
More claims of an iPhone nano for Christmas this time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

More claims of an iPhone nano for Christmas this time.

Why, are you surprised?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    This is just speculation pure and simple. From the Daily Mail:

Quote:

One expert suggested the nano phone would have a touch wheel on the back and display on the front so that numbers would be dialled from behind.

Are you fucking kidding me? Yeah, OK.

My speculation: Apple will release a paired down version of the phone, without some features like WiFi, enterprise connectivity, and GPS. Maybe release it in 8GB only while the iPhone 3G gets bumped to 16GB and 32GB. Screen size should stay the same. It won't compromise the experience (image typing on a 2.5" screen) and economies of scale would make putting 3.5" screens in the whole lineup even cheaper.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

This is just speculation pure and simple. From the Daily Mail:

Are you fucking kidding me? Yeah, OK.

My speculation: Apple will release a paired down version of the phone, without some features like WiFi, enterprise connectivity, and GPS. Maybe release it in 8GB only while the iPhone 3G gets bumped to 16GB and 32GB. Screen size should stay the same. It won't compromise the experience (image typing on a 2.5" screen) and economies of scale would make putting 3.5" screens in the whole lineup even cheaper.

So then they would not be able to make full use of the App Store (cannot download 10MB+ apps over cellular)?

I don't see how a pared-down iPhone propels the platform. They would ONLY get a hilariously useless Location Services feature without WiFi or GPS; enterprise connectivity could be restored with an Pwnage-like tool instantly.

edit: yes they could purchase apps through iTunes, but removing vertical integration is really stupid.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

So then they would not be able to make full use of the App Store (cannot download 10MB+ apps over cellular)?

Sure they can. Buy it in iTunes on your Mac or PC and sync it like most people do anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

I don't see how a pared-down iPhone propels the platform. They would ONLY get a hilariously useless Location Services feature without WiFi or GPS; enterprise connectivity could be restored with an Pwnage-like tool instantly.

Who knows. Just the idea of an iPhone nano is absurd unless they completely rework the GUI of the iPhone. Plus all those applications at the store would have to have iPhone nano versions made.