Can I exchange the phone/ipod ?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi folks,

here is the scenario:

My father who is living in a different part of the U.S bought an new Iphone on July 23 and upgraded his current contract. He didn't like the phone and decided to use his old one again. So he gave it to me and i am using it only as an Ipod coz I am not an ATT customer.

Unfortunately the device has a dead pixel in the middle of the screen that really bothers me.

So I was wondering if I can go to any apple store near my place and exchange the phone...

Will there be a problem at the apple store?

Again, I dont plan to use it as a phone

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohsjo21 View Post

Hi folks,

here is the scenario:

My father who is living in a different part of the U.S bought an new Iphone on July 23 and upgraded his current contract. He didn't like the phone and decided to use his old one again. So he gave it to me and i am using it only as an Ipod coz I am not an ATT customer.

Unfortunately the device has a dead pixel in the middle of the screen that really bothers me.

So I was wondering if I can go to any apple store near my place and exchange the phone...

Will there be a problem at the apple store?

Again, I dont plan to use it as a phone

If your father bought it..... he would have to 'exchange' it ..... and then give it back to you

*but I would guess both Apple and AT&T would require the phone to have service -- so before he goes to exchange it - it might be best he temporarily use it as his phone again- while it still has service take it into an Apple store for exchange -- once exchanged give it back to you

As I am thinking this over.....

Might be better just to give the phone back to him-- him return the phone and get out of the contract... Apple gives him what he paid for the phone back -- then ---(if he is really giving money away) -- Use what your Dad gets back in the return for a iPod Touch **But be smart and play it out to your advantage *it is rumored the iPod Touch will be updated in September

*But make sure he returns the phone within the 30 day window
  • Reply 2 of 2
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.O.S.T View Post

If your father bought it..... he would have to 'exchange' it ..... and then give it back to you

*but I would guess both Apple and AT&T would require the phone to have service -- so before he goes to exchange it - it might be best he temporarily use it as his phone again- while it still has service take it into an Apple store for exchange -- once exchanged give it back to you

As I am thinking this over.....

Might be better just to give the phone back to him-- him return the phone and get out of the contract... Apple gives him what he paid for the phone back -- then ---(if he is really giving money away) -- Use what your Dad gets back in the return for a iPod Touch **But be smart and play it out to your advantage *it is rumored the iPod Touch will be updated in September

*But make sure he returns the phone within the 30 day window

I have to respectfully disagree with some of your comments. I recently bought a first generation iPhone for $75 because it had a cracked screen. It had been activated, but was no longer being used. I doubt that the seller even had an ATT account. I took it to the Apple Store (Madison, WI) to see what I had to do to get a new glass. Fortunately for me, they covered it under warranty!!!! That saved me $199. Now, I have a brand new, first gen iPhone that I activated.

Apple didn't care who bought the phone. A warranty with Apple is fully transferable, so you should be able to take it in with no problems.

That being said, I'd have no idea whether or not if they would replace it because of a dead pixel. Good luck though!