older graphics card

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was looking around the Apple website and it said that on the bottom of one of the pages (iMac's I think) that all video cards are supported on X.2 that's computers are supported for OS X. That means that even my Wallstreet PB is supported. This is incredible! It probably wasn't mentioned because most other people would laugh at a company that didn't have support for those computers just yet. Anyway, this is great news indeed! Here's the page:

<a href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/63/wo/iVCqj0xAwzjEntpr2r/0.3.0.3.34.81.0.JaguarPromo.0.0.2.0.3.1.1.0?63,58"; target="_blank">OS X</a>

this is what it said:

Mac OS X v10.2 supports all video cards shipped by Apple on Mac OS X-compatible systems. Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video cards: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti; Any AGP-based ATI RADEON card. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by dxp4acu:

<strong>I was looking around the Apple website and it said that on the bottom of one of the pages (iMac's I think) that all video cards are supported on X.2 that's computers are supported for OS X. That means that even my Wallstreet PB is supported. This is incredible! It probably wasn't mentioned because most other people would laugh at a company that didn't have support for those computers just yet. Anyway, this is great news indeed! Here's the page:

<a href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/63/wo/iVCqj0xAwzjEntpr2r/0.3.0.3.34.81.0.JaguarPromo.0.0.2.0.3.1.1.0?63,58"; target="_blank">OS X</a>

this is what it said:

Mac OS X v10.2 supports all video cards shipped by Apple on Mac OS X-compatible systems. Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video cards: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti; Any AGP-based ATI RADEON card. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What they mean is that OS X 10.2 will run on the older video cards -- just like OS X 10.0 will. If your video card isn't in that list at the end of your quote, you won't see much of a difference in video performance.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dxp4acudxp4acu Posts: 45member
    No! Quartz Extreme is only supported by those listed video cards, but quartz extreme isn't all OS X. The OS X-compatible Macs such as the first iMacs and older PB G3s never had graphics card support until now. Of course it doesn't have Quartz Extreme support, but it does have OS X support, which is huge.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by dxp4acu:

<strong>No! Quartz Extreme is only supported by those listed video cards, but quartz extreme isn't all OS X. The OS X-compatible Macs such as the first iMacs and older PB G3s never had graphics card support until now. Of course it doesn't have Quartz Extreme support, but it does have OS X support, which is huge.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're misunderstanding the word "supported". If a video card isn't supported, then no video comes out of it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dxp4acudxp4acu Posts: 45member
    [quote]Originally posted by Whisper:

<strong>

You're misunderstanding the word "supported". If a video card isn't supported, then no video comes out of it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But it was never supported before this. There is no Apple documentation saying that it was, but 2d support was added for ATI Rage cards as of 10.1.5. This is new though.