Touch That Macbook!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
"I asked Jacky Liu, an incredible designer to come up with what he believed the Macbook Touch rumor could materialize into. Here?s what he came up with":

[CENTER][/CENTER]

?MacPad is a revolutionary new product that completely revitalizes mobile computing. It is an ultra-portable device with an immense amount of technology, and a tremendous amount of computing power. It is a fusion of the mobile experience on the iPhone, with the functionality and practicality of Mac OS X on the Macbook. MacPad is the future of ultra-portable computing."

Read Full Story - Desktop Vibes: Touch That Macbook!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Wow, that is incredibly retarded, and completely uninspired. It looks like the "designer" completely disregarded the current direction Apple has taken with its new devices- iphone, imac, macbook air, etc., and just photoshopped the bottom off of a current gen macbook.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

The Mac touch

The secret to this device is not an iPhone-like home-screen, but rather swipe-able docks (notice the home-screen-like dots) with a more Mac-like desktop (ala a big image). And its built-in, rear, pop-out table rest.

Touching the Apple logo could provide system options like shut down, see serial number etc., and the spotlight icon would provide global search and act as a second (dock's the first) app-launcher. Oh and please, we need at least a 10" display.
    • MacBook Pro - 15"/17"

• MacBook Air - 13"

• MacBook - 13"

• Mac touch - 10" or 11"

I also had an idea that when the dock is swiped, no matter what direction in, the Finder would (as if by magic) always remain as the left-most app in the dock.

And yes, I snapped that dock image from dashboard, but that's not the point.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    What we need is something as small as possible (5 to 7 inch screen or so) and as light as possible (400 g or so) but with a full Mac OS X inside, so that full NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint files can be open for full blown presentations with transitions, animations and video, as done now with laptops. Both wired and wireless.

Because even the MacBook Air is too large and heavy for us. With true Ethernet port. With true Firewire ports (Target Disk Mode for repairs, camcorder video in, etc). Something like this, but with Mac OS X inside:

OQO model e2

http://www.oqo.com

Check out:

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games?

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

We need thousands for our University. And we need them NOW!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

What we need is something as small as possible (5 to 7 inch screen or so) and as light as possible (400 g or so) but with a full Mac OS X inside, so that full NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint files can be open for full blown presentations with transitions, animations and video, as done now with laptops. Both wired and wireless.

Too small. Minimum screen size, for an 'always at-hand' tablet should be 8 to 10 inches, about the size of a standard DVD case. Small enough to stuff in a coat pocket, large enough to actually write/draw on & large enough to actually see without constantly squinting…

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Because even the MacBook Air is too large and heavy for us.

I would bet that the MacBook Air is neither no larger nor heavier than virtually any current textbooks. So, size is not really an issue, and if the weight is actually an issue, maybe some students need to suck it up and do a modicum of exercise from time to time…

And if done right, also assuming that textbooks publishers can pull their head out of their third point of contact long enough to see the light; a 13" (or larger, depending on the end users preference) tablet may be a suitable replacement for ALL textbooks and paper notebooks. Might be the ONLY thing a student needs to carry for standard classes…
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The Mac touch

The secret to this device is not an iPhone-like home-screen, but rather swipe-able docks (notice the home-screen-like dots) with a more Mac-like desktop (ala a big image). And its built-in, rear, pop-out table rest.

Touching the Apple logo could provide system options like shut down, see serial number etc., and the spotlight icon would provide global search and act as a second (dock's the first) app-launcher. Oh and please, we need at least a 10" display.
    • MacBook Pro - 15"/17"

• MacBook Air - 13"

• MacBook - 13"

• Mac touch - 10" or 11"

I also had an idea that when the dock is swiped, no matter what direction in, the Finder would (as if by magic) always remain as the left-most app in the dock.

And yes, I snapped that dock image from dashboard, but that's not the point.

You've got more ideas than I have blood cells in my body. You need to patent some of these and get some money.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

And if done right, also assuming that textbooks publishers can pull their head out of their third point of contact long enough to see the light; a 13" (or larger, depending on the end users preference) tablet may be a suitable replacement for ALL textbooks and paper notebooks. Might be the ONLY thing a student needs to carry for standard classes?

As an English graduate student who is interested in digital textual scholarship, this is the dream for me.

Don't know why there aren't books for sale in iTunes. Most of the eReaders suck (kimble ...) so something like a tablet with textbook software would be great. The only thing is you can't read outside then.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

As an English graduate student who is interested in digital textual scholarship, this is the dream for me.

Don't know why there aren't books for sale in iTunes. Most of the eReaders suck (kimble ...) so something like a tablet with textbook software would be great. The only thing is you can't read outside then.

The free application "Stanza" on the iphone is pretty sweet. Reading on the iphone outside isn't so great.