SingTel to launch iPhone 3G in Singapore on Aug 22

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Following a series of email teasers, SingTel said Tuesday it will participate in Apple's second phase iPhone 3G launch by rolling out the new touchscreen handset to its customers in Singapore on August 22nd.

"Thanks for your patience; we will bring in both the 8GB and 16GB versions with your choice of black or white," SingTel vice president of consumer marketing Wong Soon Nam wrote in an email to subscribers. "At this stage we have not announced pricing. I will share it with you very shortly."

Singapore joins 17 other countries (1, 2) in Asia, Europe and Latin America that will get their first taste of the iPhone next week. Two additional nations are expected to participate in the phase 2 launch for a grand total of 20.

SingTel is Singapore's largest telecommunications company and the largest mobile network operator in the Asia Pacific outside of the People's Republic of China. At the end of May, it had a combined mobile subscriber base of 185.3 million customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I recall reading that in a few countries the iPhone will be sold unlocked. In which countries? I travel a lot so I have SIM cards for multiple countries. For me, a locked phone is a brick.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Well, Australia is one of them right now. (Good luck in buying it there as stocks are very low and you end up paying about AUD$800+++) Singapore will be one of them. Hong Kong is rumored but I cannot confirm. I can of course ask 3 but frankly speaking, more likely I will get a few sets from SingTel here for my staff. Battery Life on the White is well, worst then a Windows Mobile PDA.

Hope this helps.

Studio Head

Personae Studios Singapore
  • Reply 3 of 16
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clockwork-master View Post

Battery Life on the White is well, worst then a Windows Mobile PDA.

While battery performance is tied to the OS' power management software it's more directly tired to the hardware it's run on, specifically the mAh of the battery. Saying that the iPhone 3G has worse battery life than a Windows Mobile PDA means absolutely nothing and doesn't sounds legit as stated.

All reviews and comparisons I've read of the iPhone's battery performance have it besting pretty much every phone out there. The only one that had a better battery life was the Samsung Instinct making calls while 3G was turned on. Since it's CDMA-based even with CDMA2000 on it uses CDMA for calls so this was expected. Note that it only won in that test and barely at that.

So, what WinMo device are you referring to and what type of testing are you doing to get these values that go against the rest of the industry?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I recall reading that in a few countries the iPhone will be sold unlocked. In which countries? I travel a lot so I have SIM cards for multiple countries. For me, a locked phone is a brick.

Rather than ask here, Apple has a site that describes exactly what you want to know.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Rather than ask here, Apple has a site that describes exactly what you want to know.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

Nice link.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I know it is good battery life compare to lots of other things. What I am saying is that I do have a white iPhone 3G. And I find the power usage abit on the high side. But it is because I have both 3G and Push switch on. I do own a Dopod 838pro, the battery life on that phone seems slightly better then the iPhone 3G. But compare to the older iPhone which I did not have wireless data on, that i need to recharge on a 2 to 3 day basis, the windows mobile phone, I have, about 1 to 2 days and the iPhone 3G, must remember to charge on a daily basis. As for what I was comparing, I was referring to the time when the average Windows Mobile PDA User compare to a Palm III user, or even the Palm IIIc has to recharge daily. (Compare to 1 week for the IIIc or change batteries once a month for the III) But I think I am trying to say is that the features are so good that you end up using the battery faster then other devices. Sorry if gave the impression that the iPhone 3G is not as good as other phones, but I find it too useful and it ends up sucking the battery flat.

Studio Head

• Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

But I think I am trying to say is that the features are so good that you end up using the battery faster then other devices.

By far, that seems to be the biggest problem with the iPhone. It's just too easy to use it excessively.

I have even App Store apps that are so easy and fast that I now use the iPhone instead of the Mac in front of me. These are BoxOffice, FaceBook, Sudoku and PayPal.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Well, Australia is one of them right now. (Good luck in buying it there as stocks are very low and you end up paying about AUD$800+++) Singapore will be one of them. Hong Kong is rumored but I cannot confirm. I can of course ask 3 but frankly speaking, more likely I will get a few sets from SingTel here for my staff. Battery Life on the White is well, worst then a Windows Mobile PDA.

Hope this helps.

Studio Head

Can you confirm whether the iPhone 3G will be sold unlocked? There is no indication on this. If it is, I can tell you they will sell out like mad. Because Singapore was/is one of *the* major hubs of the grey market iPhone trade.

I will be back in Malaysia on Tuesday 19th. I am interested in being involved with the iPhone but running the border between Singapore and Johor is not my idea ;-)

ARGHGHGHGHHG

• Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Can you confirm whether the iPhone 3G will be sold unlocked? There is no indication on this. If it is, I can tell you they will sell out like mad. Because Singapore was/is one of *the* major hubs of the grey market iPhone trade.

I will be back in Malaysia on Tuesday 19th. I am interested in being involved with the iPhone but running the border between Singapore and Johor is not my idea ;-)

ARGHGHGHGHHG

Okay, I do have a Johor staff in my game studio so I understand the issues. First of all, it is confirmed that the Singapore iPhone is unlocked due to legal requirements by IDA. (Trust me, both SingTel and IDA are quoted on it) That means as soon as you pick up the phone you can put another sim card inside. It will be sold under contract as far as I know, I don't know how many phones will there be for the SingTel launch. (Note that the number of phones on the island is more then what being sold as Apple has its Hub for the region here, my Australian 3G phone had to come from Singapore to Australia and now back into my hands) StarHub has confirmed officially to people, including myself that they will have the phone in december this year. As for the date, the 22nd is next Friday. I rather not queue up for the iPhone personally and if I need more, I would more likely get the SingTel manager to come to the office with the phones, but if you want, you have to find out where the Hello! shops are. I am not sure about Malaysia but I know there is an AppStore operating there. (And it is transacting money) But honestly as a iPhone developer, if you want to get the iPhone for software development, it is better to use the iPod Touch unless you really need the features of the phone. The Activation and Beta firmware is best left on non-critical devices.

Studio Head

• Reply 10 of 16
    Thank you very much for your response. I have actually been working from March 2007 to May 2008 with Machines Sdn Bhd, the largest Apple Premium Reseller in Malaysia.

I am currently not associated with any company.

I have been in London, with a bit of a trip to Belgium and the Netherlands in the past two months.

I've managed to get myself at this stage a locked AT&T iPhone 3G White 16GB (battery issues aside lol), it is pretty awesome.

I appreciate the details you have provided me.

I'm not sure I will jump in on the grabbing-an-iPhone3G craze over the next several weeks in Singapore, but what I am interested in is speaking to some Apple Premium Resellers there, for example, lining up some interviews.

I'm pursuing this on an ongoing basis and we'll see what happens over the next several weeks.

It is interesting that Singtel will be the major distributor, and not the Apple Premium Resellers (as far as I know) that have invested their long-term time, effort and money in Apple, Inc. In educating customers and taking care of them well (hopefully, most of the time).

Edit: no offense to Singtel, but I wish them all the best because they will have a big challenge on their hands, as we know from many telcos and even Apple official stores around the world.

I'll tell you what is probably going to happen. If the iPhone is sold unlocked, there is going to be a massive amount that will find its way out of the country. I'm not one to comment here on the legality, political, customs and other issues. It is a thorny area.

It seems that in Johor (southern part of Malaysia next to Singapore for those that don't know the area) an iPhone 3G from other parts of the world may be going for USD $1000+ still locked to the original network (if it is not from Hong Kong or Belgium).

I think in South East Asia with Singapore getting huge amounts (relatively to individual countries), for example maybe in excess of 100,000 units in the next few weeks (perhaps?) ... it's going to be pretty crazy.

I wonder if the Philippines iPhone 3G is sold unlocked.

Well, for those in the region, buckle your seatbelts, it's going to be a crazy ride.

Quote:

Okay, I do have a Johor staff in my game studio so I understand the issues. First of all, it is confirmed that the Singapore iPhone is unlocked due to legal requirements by IDA. (Trust me, both SingTel and IDA are quoted on it) That means as soon as you pick up the phone you can put another sim card inside. It will be sold under contract as far as I know, I don't know how many phones will there be for the SingTel launch. (Note that the number of phones on the island is more then what being sold as Apple has its Hub for the region here, my Australian 3G phone had to come from Singapore to Australia and now back into my hands) StarHub has confirmed officially to people, including myself that they will have the phone in december this year. As for the date, the 22nd is next Friday. I rather not queue up for the iPhone personally and if I need more, I would more likely get the SingTel manager to come to the office with the phones, but if you want, you have to find out where the Hello! shops are. I am not sure about Malaysia but I know there is an AppStore operating there. (And it is transacting money) But honestly as a iPhone developer, if you want to get the iPhone for software development, it is better to use the iPod Touch unless you really need the features of the phone. The Activation and Beta firmware is best left on non-critical devices.

Studio Head

• Reply 11 of 16
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Studio Head

Hi Clock-Master.

Just a hint to improve readability. Could you break up your comments into smaller paragraphs.

Thank you.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I travel to Singapore often enough that I have a singaporean SIM card. I'll pick an iPhone up on my next trip. I assume the price will be very roughly about S$1000.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

I travel to Singapore often enough that I have a singaporean SIM card. I'll pick an iPhone up on my next trip. I assume the price will be very roughly about S$1000.

Cool. Let us know how it goes. And good luck..! There is a (well somewhat derogatory) term they have for Singaporeans: "kiasu"... Which means... well, you probably know anyways. It means there could be queues that will make New Yorkers look like they couldn't give a damn about the iPhone 3G... No offense to clockwork-master or other Singaporeans...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    No offense, after all, "scare to lose" is very common here. As for the queues, I seriously don't think it is going to happen. We are known for a country in which people can queue more then 1 week for things like first choice of units in an apartment block. But certain hype up extreme fan boys already gotten their hands on a iPhone 3G already. As for the rest, I don't think it would be so bad. Here is the list of places you can camp out if you really want some urban camping experience.

hello! Ang Mo Kio Hub

53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3

#B1-55/56/57 Ang Mo Kio Hub

Singapore 569933

Mon - Sun : 11.00am - 9.00pm

Nearest MRT Station : Ang Mo Kio Station

hello! Bugis Junction

200 Victoria Street

#01-50/50A Parco Bugis Junction

S'pore 188021

Mon - Sun : 11.00am - 9pm

Nearest MRT Station: Bugis MRT

hello! Causeway Point

1 Woodlands Square

Causeway Point Shopping Centre

#B1-16-18 S'pore 738099

Nearest MRT Station: Woodlands MRT

hello! ComCentre

31 Exeter Road S'pore 239732

Mon - Sat : 10am to 9pm

Sun/PH : 11am - 8 pm

Nearest MRT Station: Somerset MRT

hello! Compass Point

No. 1 SengKang Square

#B1-04/05 Compass Point

S'pore 545078

Mon-Sun: 11:00am - 9:00pm

Nearest MRT station: Seng Kang MRT

hello! Golden Shoe Car Park

50 Market Street

#01-19 Golden Shoe Car Park

Singapore 048940

Mon - Sat : 10am - 7.30pm

Sun & PH : 11am - 7.30pm

Nearest MRT Station: Raffles Place MRT

hello! Parkway Parade

80 Marine Parade Road

B1-01/02 Parkway Parade

Singapore 449269

Nearest MRT Station: Paya Lebar/Eunos MRT

hello! Takashimaya S.C.

391 Orchard Road

#B2-12 Ngee Ann City

Singapore 238872

Mon - Sun 11am - 9pm

Nearest MRT station: Orchard MRT station.

hello! Tampines Mall

4 Tampines Central 5

Tampines Mall

#02-13/14/15 S'pore 529510

Nearest MRT Station: Tampines MRT

hello! West Mall

1 Bukit Batok Central Link

West Mall Shopping Centre

#01-38/39 S'pore 658713

Mon - Sun: 11.00am - 9.00pm

Nearest MRT Station: Bukit Batok MRT

As for the iPhone costing SGD$1,000.00 or more, very possible. Considering Optus was selling it at AUD$800+++ for a unlocked version prepaid. (Optus is part of SingTel in Australia)

On a more serious note, my current telco is not giving me unlimited data for my iPhone plan. Actually it is a standard data package. I don't think I would be switching to Singtel for it but maybe taking another few phones for my staff. We have 2 Originals, one hacked, one T-Mobile Apple Unlocked (999 Euro version), i 8GB Black unlocked and the 16GB White unlocked. And the best part is that we don't have any lines with any of these 4 phones.

In case people are wondering why so many or what we do, we are a Singapore based iPhone Game Developer with 2 games in the appstore. The heavily requested multiplayer version is at Apple hands at the moment. Hopefully for the 9 Malaysians and the 21 Singaporeans which have bought it will enjoy the new version. I seriously wonder how you guys get it consider the appstore is not officially open there yet. Look us up next month during Games Convention Asia 2008, there might be some freebies involved (business side).

Studio Head

Personae Studios
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

It was sold unlock here in New Zealand
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

SingTel is Singapore's largest telecommunications company and the largest mobile network operator in the Asia Pacific outside of the People's Republic of China. At the end of May, it had a combined mobile subscriber base of 185.3 million customers.

Interesting for a telco in a country of 4.2 million.

The number seems to be for all the telcos Singtel has a significant stake in, in spite the fact that its only subsidiary is Optus in Australia.