Complex Networking

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a smarthouse and want to be able to access both DSL and Cable (paying for 2 services) through my network. Everything is hooked up to my networking panel in my utility room.

Here is the dilemma:

My router WAN port (Airport Gigabit Extreme) is connected through the ethernet jack on the wall which goes to the utility cabinet. Inside the cabinet I have both a DSL and Cable connection. How can I merge these and be able to take advantage of both? Moving the router into the panel isn't an option since I don't have room and I use it for other purposes, as well as because it is placed optimally in my home.

Would adding a switch and messing with the subnets do the job?

I need both cable & dsl because normally I'm downloading/uploading things and it hogs my connection.

HELP!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You can connect the devices to some type of gateway device such as a router or firewall. The difficult part will be splitting the traffic to each connection. If you "download" from a specific site, you can have a static route that uses one of the the devices while the other one is used for normal internet surfing.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I agree with ThinkingDifferent. The issue is that home based routers only have 1 WAN port. You'll need a business class router with multiple ports and then manually set up static routes to the sites you are doing all of your bandwidth intensive tasks on.

Or, you can get two computers. Plug one into cable and the other into DSL. Then choose which computer you want to bog down with your downloads/uploads
  • Reply 3 of 4
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Cheap and easy solution: get a second router, hook both routers into your network and disable dhcp on at least 1 of them, change the gateway setting on your machines to one or the other depending on which you want the traffic to go through.

What I'll be doing myself for a similar situation soon is a bit more complicated, using a machine with a few NICs running debian as my router, and routing traffic using it, but that's more complicated than anyone asking this question should be doing.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Maybe I am reading this wrong but you want to aggregate the bandwidth?