10.5.4 Performance Issues

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone noticed after updating to 10.5.4 that you are getting more colorwheels and pauses when trying to do things, even just normal scrolling, etc? I have tried different user account profiles and it happens on both.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Scrolling in what app?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    All Apps, pretty much everything. Just getting a lot of colorwheels and pauses in all apps.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Try repairing permissions with Disk Utility and clean out your system caches with cocktail:

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.php

Go to files > caches, choose system and user caches and in options, select kernel caches if it isn't checked. Once you hit clear, reboot and let the system rebuild them (it will take a bit longer to start up).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thanks, I will test it out tonight and post a follow-up tomorrow.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I prefer Onyx
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    I always forget this but booting into safe mode should do the same thing. Hold down the shift key at boot and it should flush all your caches. Then reboot back into normal mode.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I always forget this but booting into safe mode should do the same thing. Hold down the shift key at boot and it should flush all your caches. Then reboot back into normal mode.

I will try this as well, the initial permissions repair didn't do much. I will also check out Onyx