Upgrading my hard drive?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
First off, apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong area, but it seemed like the best option.

I'm contemplating upgrading the hard drive in my MacBook, but I'm concerned about what will happen with my applications like Office and Lightroom. If I replace my hard drive, will I have to buy a new serial number for Lightroom, or will restoring from Time Machine save me? Ditto with Office as I have no serial numbers left to use with it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    As I understand, you want to make a recovery from your time machine backup.

I don't know how this can be done (meaning having no knowledge, not that it is impossible), but as Time Machine makes an exact copy of your hard drive or the selected folders, and you have the option of accessing your TIme Machine backup during the installation process, I don't think your serial numbers will be affected.

As an other option you can use Super Duper for an exact copy of your MacBook's internal drive to another external drive. If you have two Macs that shouldn't be a problem. It just takes longer.

By the way, I think you can use those serial numbers as often as you have to, meaning if you have to install it a thousand times, you can use them a thousand times, in the legal sense of course (not on thousand computers, but thousand installs on one after a thousand Mac OS installations - quite a challenge).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    go 2 the apple store and it will b fixed