How is Mail.app in Jaguar?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was hoping someone could comment on the relative merits of mail.app in 10.2. The current version is pretty weak, but I would like to take advantage of iSync, the new address book, etc., which would entail using mail in the future.

I'm currently using Entourage, which I find to be an excellent application. And while I appreciate the addition of spam filtering, I would like to see mail embrace a more flexible mailbox style, along with other improvements.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jennings

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    What exactly do you mean by a more flexible mailbox style? Could you name some specific features from Entourage that you'd want in 10.2's Mail?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jaskejaske Posts: 73member
    Well, one main concern is that the interface for mail handles multiple accounts terribly, insisting on separate inboxes, in separate folders outside of the "personal mailboxes" area. In general, the gui for the mailboxes tends to be cluttered and confusing with the small icons. Finally, I would like the ability to control which mailboxes are visible on IMAP servers. With Entourage only the inbox and similar "major" mailboxes are visible (e.g. sent), and I am not forced to view ".msgrc" unless I want to see it. Unfortunately, mail's interface is so clunky that in addition to the mail servers, I can see the folders on my school's server that I use to store SAS files I have batch edited.

Other concerns are that mail handles HTML email poorly, and I feel its IMAP performance is sluggish, unless I'm on a broadband connection.

I can post images illustrating my concerns if this hastily written post doesn't help. Thanks.

-Jennings
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by jaske:

<strong>Well, one main concern is that the interface for mail handles multiple accounts terribly, insisting on separate inboxes, in separate folders outside of the "personal mailboxes" area. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Wait, you want one big merged Inbox for all your accounts? Oh dear god no. Not for me. I have a work account, two personal accounts, and a couple of professional accounts... I really need to keep them separate. You do realize, of course, that you can just set up a Rule for each of your 'non-primary' Inboxes that sends all the mail to your one consolidated Inbox, right?

[quote]<strong>

In general, the gui for the mailboxes tends to be cluttered and confusing with the small icons.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Check the Jaguar Mail screenshots - this part of the UI has been updated to be more clear.

[quote]<strong> Finally, I would like the ability to control which mailboxes are visible on IMAP servers. With Entourage only the inbox and similar "major" mailboxes are visible (e.g. sent), and I am not forced to view ".msgrc" unless I want to see it. Unfortunately, mail's interface is so clunky that in addition to the mail servers, I can see the folders on my school's server that I use to store SAS files I have batch edited.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Er, that's a problem on the file organization on your server, sorry... why the *heck* would you have personal files mixed in with your mail? *shakes head*

[quote]<strong> Other concerns are that mail handles HTML email poorly, and I feel its IMAP performance is sluggish, unless I'm on a broadband connection.

I can post images illustrating my concerns if this hastily written post doesn't help. Thanks.

-Jennings</strong><hr></blockquote>

Again, these are issues that have been specifically addressed in Jaguar's Mail.

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by jaske:

<strong>Well, one main concern is that the interface for mail handles multiple accounts terribly, insisting on separate inboxes, in separate folders outside of the "personal mailboxes" area.</strong><hr></blockquote>

All account inboxes are under a main inbox now. You can see all your messages in one place, or you can look in each account's inbox separately since they are listed under the main inbox (disclosure triangles can hide the separate inboxes. There is one trash, one outbox, etc. They use big icons with the sub-folders/boxes using small icons. Performance seems to be better too, but I don't know about seeing or hiding other IMAP mailboxes.

This image from Apple's site explains a lot of what I'm talking about:

[Bah, the whole world beat me to it.]

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Okay, that looks like it might keep both of us happy. You get the monolithic merged Inbox, I can keep them viewed separately.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jaskejaske Posts: 73member
    First, thanks for the replies.

[quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>

Wait, you want one big merged Inbox for all your accounts? Oh dear god no. Not for me. I have a work account, two personal accounts, and a couple of professional accounts... I really need to keep them separate. You do realize, of course, that you can just set up a Rule for each of your 'non-primary' Inboxes that sends all the mail to your one consolidated Inbox, right?

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but it's an easier option with Entourage (you know, that intuitive crap Mac users love). This concern is actually my mother's . . . she attempted to set this up, and was really frustrated. I would love to see a simple check-box option of sorts.

And speaking for myself, I like everyhting to arrive in one inbox, and then to manually place email after it's been read in appropriate folders. I hate digging through several inboxes.

[quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>Er, that's a problem on the file organization on your server, sorry... why the *heck* would you have personal files mixed in with your mail? *shakes head*[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Possibly, but this "problem" doesn't appear in Entourage. And I'm not sure what software is running on BU's servers.

By the way, does mail still have that resource fork issue?

-Jennings
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Does anyone know how to handle a Hotmail (html) account at all?

any help is highly appreciated!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ... or you can edit the account under preferences, click on "advanced" and choose which folder you want the account to treat as its inbox.

I don't think this works for .mac-accounts though.