MacBook Pro Running Super Hot!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
All of a sudden over the last day or so my 17" MBP (Pennyryn 2.5 ghtz 200 gb 7200 rpm hd with high resolution screen) is runnig so hot i can fry and egg on it. Even when its asleep! I just noticed now, i woke it up out of a full nights charge its showing i only have 1 hour 53 minutes of battery remaining, should be like 5 and change! The heat seems to be centered between the F1 and F12 keys on both the bottom and the top of the computer, back towards the hinge... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This seems to have surfaced coincidentally (?) with the arrival of my new second hand iPhone 1.5G I was given by my cousin? Had them connected 3 times or so everything seeming normal...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

All of a sudden over the last day or so my 17" MBP (Pennyryn 2.5 ghtz 200 gb 7200 rpm hd with high resolution screen) is runnig so hot i can fry and egg on it. Even when its asleep! I just noticed now, i woke it up out of a full nights charge its showing i only have 1 hour 53 minutes of battery remaining, should be like 5 and change! The heat seems to be centered between the F1 and F12 keys on both the bottom and the top of the computer, back towards the hinge... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This seems to have surfaced coincidentally (?) with the arrival of my new second hand iPhone 1.5G I was given by my cousin? Had them connected 3 times or so everything seeming normal...

Is the fan running a lot (really loud)? You can get a little daemon app like smc fan control that can speed up the fans if the computer is uncomfortably hot.

Your problem is most likely an application that has crashed and is using a large % of your CPU. Quit all open applications. Go to activity monitor in the utilities folder and make sure it displays 'all processes' and sort by CPU usage. If something is using more than a few percent (since all that will be left running should be background apps), force quit it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Is the fan running a lot (really loud)? You can get a little daemon app like smc fan control that can speed up the fans if the computer is uncomfortably hot.

Your problem is most likely an application that has crashed and is using a large % of your CPU. Quit all open applications. Go to activity monitor in the utilities folder and make sure it displays 'all processes' and sort by CPU usage. If something is using more than a few percent (since all that will be left running should be background apps), force quit it.

thanks for your help, window server at the bottom of the list was jumping around between .07 to 9, ternal task was in second around three and change?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

thanks for your help, window server at the bottom of the list was jumping around between .07 to 9, ternal task was in second around three and change?

no, that shouldn't be enough to get it that hot. Did you install smc? What is the temperature?

If an app crashes and still uses cpu, it will usually be using >50%