HDMI cable recommendation?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know nothing about HDMi cables and they seem to range in price from $50 up towards $200. My question is if anyone can recommend a good HDMI cable (and link) for me to hook my Apple TV up to a 26 inch Samsung LCD.

Not an overly tough question for the tech heads out there.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
  • Reply 2 of 7
    A cables is a cable... unless the wires are broken inside, they all do the same thing.

I got a 6ft HDMI from Walmart for 14 or 19 USD... works like a charm (stopped there on the way home from purchasing the PS3 at CircuitCity, where they wanted $59 for a 6 ft HDMI cable... WTF!.)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Don't pay retail for HDMI cables. It's a complete rip-off. You can get them for like $3-$6 online from places like monoprice.com
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I've purchased a few HDMI cables from monoprice.com -- they have been every bit as good as the Apple-branded cable purchased from an Apple Store.

You can look around for a comparison online...I think Engadget? No real difference unless you're going over 100', IIRC.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I've had good luck with Cable Wholesale for all kinds of cable. 3' HDMI for $4.58 here.

Monoprice is good as well-- they've got some killer deals on HDMI switches, if you ever come up short of inputs on your flat screen.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Listen up because I'm only going to say this once. ;-)

There is NO, I repeat NO difference between a $150 HDMI cable and a $3 HDMI cable in terms of picture quality. HDMI transmits digital signals, which either get there or don't; so as long as you don't see a break-up in the image/freezing, your $3 cable is giving you the best picture possible.

There are only 3 Reasons to buy a more expensive cable:

1. You are bending, stretching, twisting, and pulling the cable hard enough to warrant the extra rugged casing put on the more expensive cables.

2. You are running it though the wall which is infested with mice/rats that for some reason have shown to LOVE eating wiring rubber.

3. You are a moron who likes to pay extra for things unnecessarily and support the gauging being done by companies like "Monster Cable".

To be clear, if you're using COMPONENT cables, then it is sometimes worth it to invest in the better equipment, since they carry analog signals which can degrade or be interfered with in a way that would have a negative impact on picture quality.

Simple Guide:

Analog Cable/Signal - Sometimes worth it. Includes:

- Speaker Wire

- Component

- S-Video

- Composite

- Audio L/R

- VGA (PC)

- Coax

Digital - Almost never worth it. Includes:

- HDMI

- DVI

- Toslink/Optical

- Firewire

- USB

Please, share this information with your friends and neighbors; pass it on to your children and grandchildren, PLEASE, so this long national nightmare of Best Buy and Circuit City taking crazy margins on useless cables can come to an end.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

Listen up because I'm only going to say this once. ;-)

There is NO, I repeat NO difference between a $150 HDMI cable and a $3 HDMI cable in terms of picture quality. HDMI transmits digital signals, which either get there or don't; so as long as you don't see a break-up in the image/freezing, your $3 cable is giving you the best picture possible.

There are only 3 Reasons to buy a more expensive cable:

1. You are bending, stretching, twisting, and pulling the cable hard enough to warrant the extra rugged casing put on the more expensive cables.

2. You are running it though the wall which is infested with mice/rats that for some reason have shown to LOVE eating wiring rubber.

3. You are a moron who likes to pay extra for things unnecessarily and support the gauging being done by companies like "Monster Cable".

To be clear, if you're using COMPONENT cables, then it is sometimes worth it to invest in the better equipment, since they carry analog signals which can degrade or be interfered with in a way that would have a negative impact on picture quality.

Simple Guide:

Analog Cable/Signal - Sometimes worth it. Includes:

- Speaker Wire

- Component

- S-Video

- Composite

- Audio L/R

- VGA (PC)

- Coax

Digital - Almost never worth it. Includes:

- HDMI

- DVI

- Toslink/Optical

- Firewire

- USB

Please, share this information with your friends and neighbors; pass it on to your children and grandchildren, PLEASE, so this long national nightmare of Best Buy and Circuit City taking crazy margins on useless cables can come to an end.

Thanks for that, it is good to know. I honeslty would have avoided the cheaper ones because of the fear that salesmen drill into you. Now I can go cheap HDMI shopping fearless. haha, thanks.