Digg founder claims knowledge of 4G iPod nano, iTunes 8.0

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Digg creator Kevin Rose says he knows many details of Apple's iPod revisions for September, including what appears to be a photo of the fourth-generation iPod nano and a teaser for information of iTunes 8.0.

A nighttime blog post by Rose asserts that a "significant redesign" of the iPod nano will spearhead a series of changes to the whole iPod line that should take place within the next two to three weeks.

The fourth iteration in as many years would have the previously rumored tall screen but would resemble an unusual blend between the second-generation iPod nano and the tapered design of the MacBook Air. The skin would have aluminum at front and back but resemble a 'pinched' oval. Changing the design would require a curved transparent cover over the LCD.

An accompanying but unverified photo (seen below) matches the description.

Most other changes receive far less detail in Rose's rumor. The iPod touch would allegedly receive "small cosmetic changes" but would mainly be defined by the 2.1 software update, which adds background push notification for instant messaging and similar apps. The iPod would receive the update first and leave the iPhone to receive the update at an unspecified later time.

No details are supplied about changes to the iPod classic and iPod shuffle, though the latter in recent weeks was rumored to get a 4GB upgrade with a modest redesign of its own.

Alleged photo from Kevin Rose of a fourth-generation iPod nano.

What Rose does suggest, however, is a radical restructuring of Apple's pricing strategy Apple is purportedly eager to have its iPods "get away" from the iPhone 3G's $199 price tag as much as possible and, if true, would implement "fairly large" price cuts to make the differences more apparent and prevent iPhones from cannibalizing iPod sales. While not directly supported by evidence, the rumor gains indirect support from Apple's warning to investors that an unnamed "product transition" would take place before the end of September that drops its gross margins from nearly 35 percent to 30 percent and that cost would be key.

An instrumental component of these updates would be iTunes 8.0, which Rose doesn't have details on other than to hint that it would "deserve" the new revision number.

For all the apparent detail, though, readers should take the report with caution. Rose's history of Apple rumors is known to wildly vary in accuracy: while he earned most of his reputation for an accurate leak of iPod nano details before its release in 2005, he has also shot wide of the mark with predictions of a CDMA iPhone and this year was convinced the 3G-capable iPhone would have a front video camera.

Potentially casting doubt on this latest rumor is a claim tacked on at the end that Mac OS X 10.5.6 will add Blu-ray support to the operating system. While many have long assumed Apple's role in the Blu-ray Disc Association would eventually lead to Macs with support for the HD video medium, knowledge of the Mac OS X update roadmap beyond beta releases (currently 10.5.5) is often limited to Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Most likely iTunes 8.0 would have a major UI update. iTunes has needed one for some time.

I'm sure 8.0 will be portable enough to include on the iPhone and Touch, due to Apple's project to reduce file sizes of its OS and major apps.

You can expect iTunes 8.0 to take full advantage of a new release of QuickTime. iTunes will not be released without the new version of QuickTime.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Most likely iTunes 8.0 would have a major UI update. iTunes has needed one for some time.

I'm sure 8.0 will be portable enough to include on the iPhone and Touch, due to Apple's project to reduce file sizes of its OS and major apps.

You can expect iTunes 8.0 to take full advantage of a new release of QuickTime. iTunes will not be released without the new version of QuickTime.

New Quicktime- ? Does that mean new Quicktime Pro will have to purchased to replace the old one?
  • Reply 3 of 92
    I think the current nano is perfection in its size and format as a music player. My advice? Keep the music player small, let the Touch or similar device bridge people into video. There are lots of people that want a perfect music player, or a perfect video/app device... there are too many ways to screw up trying to do both...

I'd make a wee Touch the same size (or smaller) as the current Nano. That would be cool.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Yes, from the photo is looks like it is no longer nano, i.e. small. But it is hard to tell scale from a photo.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    Regardless of the veracity of Rose's statements, I wonder how long Apple intends to maintain iPod OS alongside OS X Touch. The iPod shuffle can stay the way it is with little physical tweaks to accommodate changes in storage technology. The iPod nano and iPod classic are the real curiosities. There is still brand power behind the form factor of the iPod as we've known it.

The price points will be forced to drop, which makes me wonder what will happen to the iPod classic. I would imagine Apple wants to push the iPod touch. In spite of its lower storage capacity, it uses OS X Touch and has access to most of the goodies available to iPhone/iPhone 3G users. Even though the true cost of ownership of the iPhone 3G is beyond the $199 and $299 price tags, any new iPod touch would need to be placed at just the right spot -- probably $149 for 8GB (maybe 16GB) and $249 for 16GB (maybe 32GB).

My predictions for the Holiday 2008 line:

4GB iPod shuffle -- $49

8GB iPod nano -- $99

16GB iPod touch -- $149

32GB iPod touch -- $249

8GB iPhone 3G -- $199 (conditional, add phone service)

16GB iPhone 3G -- $299 (conditional, add phone service)

I have no idea if the iPod classic will be there at all. I think they'd rather shift any manufacturing of the iPod classic to iPod touch.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squirrel_Monkey View Post

My predictions for the Holiday 2008 line:

4GB iPod shuffle -- $49

8GB iPod nano -- $99

16GB iPod touch -- $149

32GB iPod touch -- $249

It'll be aggressive, but not quite that aggressive. And you're forgetting the 16GB Nano

4GB iPod shuffle -- $49

8GB iPod nano -- $99

16GB iPod nano -- $149

16GB iPod touch -- $199

32GB iPod touch -- $299

8GB iPhone 3G -- $199

16GB iPhone 3G -- $299

iPod Classic 80GB -- EOL

iPod Classic 160GB -- $299

This way the iPod Touch and iPhones have the same price points but with double the capacity for the touches. There's also a $50 upsell for the same 16GB capacity from the nano to the touch features. Also the 80GB Classic is killed off and the 160GB brought down to $299, getting the entire iPod line under $300 for the first time ever.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squirrel_Monkey View Post

8GB iPod nano -- $99

16GB iPod touch -- $149

32GB iPod touch -- $249

The iPhone is subsidized, I don't see how anyone would expect the iPod Touch to be cheaper then the phone. They are not going to cut the price in half on the iPod Touch. I expect just a $100 price drop on them.

The only thing I don't like about my ex iPod Touch (now iPhone) is the inability to change the volume and skip to the next track while not looking. I am not sure what apple will do to alleviate this problem, some physical buttons would be nice. And how about a clunky 160GB HDD iPod Touch for those who really want the space?
  • Reply 8 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

The iPhone is subsidized, I don't see how anyone would expect the iPod Touch to be cheaper then the phone. They are not going to cut the price in half on the iPod Touch. I expect just a $100 price drop on them.

The only thing I don't like about my ex iPod Touch (now iPhone) is the inability to change the volume and skip to the next track while not looking. I am not sure what apple will do to alleviate this problem, some physical buttons would be nice. And how about a clunky 160GB HDD iPod Touch for those who really want the space?

Absolutely agree about the need for physical buttons or keys for some operations. They need to find a better balance for hands-only operation of these devices. A volume dial operable by thumb would do wonders.

On another note... Rose is an idiot. I wouldn't put too much weight behind his rumor-mongering.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    It's only logical that Apple drop prices across the iPod line given the state of competition and the price of the iPhone. It's a perception issue now that iPods (such as the Touch) are not much cheaper than the iPhone.

Perhaps this is the "product transition" that Apple's CFO was referring to in the last earnings call.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    That mock up won't happen. A curved display cover introduces too many issues. A tappered back panel and landscape mode for video sound plausible. If landcape video happens Apple would need a clickwheel with varying images for the correct rotation. A patent from January may be an indication of this. They don't need an accelorometer as it could default to change only with video, but if they do include one it could elimante the need for Nike+ HW (unless using your shoe is more accurate ).
  • Reply 11 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Rose was wrong before, twice. I ain't believing anything until Apple releases them.

As for iTunes, it needs books and a standard "Apple" book reader for the devices. (not separate book apps via the App store, but a whole separate thing). Book Reader.app & Book Store.app

And built in lyrics support. As for the look of iTunes, meh.. that would be a bonus I guess.

Nano:

No home screen = no home button.

Play and pause of music has a physical button still.

And to go next track double-tap the play/pause button.

As for scrolling lists, it's obvious.

And... physical volume buttons.

But, that would be too intelligent and idea, wouldn't it.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Of course 10.5.6 will support BD playback, because I broke down six weeks ago and ordered a 24" iMac that only supports DVD. I would've gladly shelled out another couple hundred bucks for an internal BD-burner. At least I could get an external model.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

The iPhone is subsidized, I don't see how anyone would expect the iPod Touch to be cheaper then the phone.

Because people are stupid.

Initial purchase price is the only thing consumers care about. If they cared about TCO, then everyone would use Macs.

"Why does this iPod Touch thing cost more than the iPhone? I mean it's not even a phone, but it costs more?"
  • Reply 14 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Absolutely agree about the need for physical buttons or keys for some operations. They need to find a better balance for hands-only operation of these devices. A volume dial operable by thumb would do wonders.

On another note... Rose is an idiot. I wouldn't put too much weight behind his rumor-mongering.

The raised physical buttons, as well as the small size, make the Shuffle the perfect iPod for my workouts.

I have to agree about Rose. He's been right about some things, but the dual battery prediction seemmed so unbelievable that I think he is willing to post just about anything he hears.

PS: v2.0.2 still has not fixed my keyboard slowness and Safari crashing when typing replies on AI. I'm glad v2.1 isn't too far off.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If landcape video happens Apple would need a clickwheel with varying images for the correct rotation..

Where does this assumption come from? The clickwheel stays vertically oriented for interacting with the portrait navigation. When you select video you simply turn the iPod on its side for viewing. No further interaction with the clickwheel is necessary until you go back to the menu. No need for the clickwheel to rotate.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Where does this assumption come from? The clickwheel stays vertically oriented for interacting with the portrait navigation. When you select video you simply turn the iPod on its side for viewing. No further interaction with the clickwheel is necessary until you go back to the menu. No need for the clickwheel to rotate.

if in landvape mode watching a video how do I adjust the volume or FF or RW? What was up and down is now left and right on the clickwheel. I wouldn't call that a user friendly solution. If the lighted image on the clickwheel and input signal moved to account for this rotation then their wouldn't be an issue.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

At least there's some sensible people roaming these forums.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That mock up won't happen. A curved display cover introduces too many issues. A tappered back panel and landscape mode for video sound plausible. If landcape video happens Apple would need a clickwheel with varying images for the correct rotation. A patent from January may be an indication of this. They don't need an accelorometer as it could default to change only with video, but if they do include one it could elimante the need for Nike+ HW (unless using your shoe is more accurate ).

I could not agree with you more. Apple is not going to make a stupid error such as a stationary click wheel when the screen is landscape. As always, there may be SOME truth to this photo, but photo is NOT the new nano.

PS. For the very reason Rose is putting himself out there and not fearing backlash, I think Rose is helping apple on this post. Apple has been known to release fake information to get us all distracted.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

4GB iPod shuffle -- $49

8GB iPod nano -- $99

16GB iPod nano -- $149

16GB iPod touch -- $199

32GB iPod touch -- $299

8GB iPhone 3G -- $199

16GB iPhone 3G -- $299

iPod Classic 80GB -- EOL

iPod Classic 160GB -- $299

Okay, I can go along with that. I also agree with the other poster who disagreed with me because the iPhone's subsidized price shouldn't be used to cut back on the iPod touch. Putting the iPhone 3G and iPod touch on the same price points makes more sense.

But I think a $99 iPod nano is a given at this point. There's really no room for it otherwise. Also another given for the same reason is the single offering for the iPod shuffle. These price points almost push the iPod shuffle out of the picture altogether, but I know people are buying them. Heck, some are buying them to supplement their existing larger iPods and iPhones.

I'm at best on the fence about the iPod classic remaining in the line, despite the ease of just cramming it with yet another large spinning hard drive. I don't know if there's been any news of Apple suddenly backing away from purchasing the small hard drives. I suppose Apple can still get cash from those who want a really dense iPod, but whoever buys such a device won't have access to all of the toys in the OS X Touch space.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I wonder if the new nano will have an OLED screen. If so, that'd be a first for Apple. Would that be too expensive? Dunno. No backlight, better battery life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDuP8PtDJbE