MacBook Pro HDD Upgrade

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello everyone first time to this site. I am looking into upgrading my pathetic 100 gig HDD that came in my MacBook pro and was wondering if any SATA 2.5 HDD will work? I am looking at a 500 gig 7200 RPM but the ones I find locally say they work PC only. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    As long as it's the correct size and interface it should work. You may need to reformat
  • Reply 2 of 14
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    You just have to make sure the height is 9.5mm and not the 12mm height of some of them. I just put in a 7200 200GB Seagate and it is definitely a nice upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenatek View Post

You just have to make sure the height is 9.5mm and not the 12mm height of some of them. I just put in a 7200 200GB Seagate and it is definitely a nice upgrade.

what are the exact dimensions and the connection I need? Will this HDD work?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0096757&catid=
  • Reply 4 of 14
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cdn-Mac View Post

what are the exact dimensions and the connection I need? Will this HDD work?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0096757&catid=

I believe that's a desktop drive. You need a laptop drive. While these HDDs only have capacities up to 320gbs, they received pretty high praise in a MacWorld review.

I would give these a look.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I believe that's a desktop drive. You need a laptop drive. While these HDDs only have capacities up to 320gbs, they received pretty high praise in a MacWorld review.

I would give these a look.

I found 2 different 500 gigs that were made for our laptop except they are only 5400 RPM and I was kinda looking to upgrade to 7200.. might just have to go with a 320 gig.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Quote:

I found 2 different 500 gigs that were made for our laptop except they are only 5400 RPM and I was kinda looking to upgrade to 7200.. might just have to go with a 320 gig.

This is the one you will want to track down.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...&reqPage=Model

I believe it is the largest capacity laptop drive at 7200.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I recommend a Seagate Momemtus 250Gb ($80 CDN) or a Western Digital Scorpio 320Gb ($122 CDN).

Do not buy drives from Futureshop unless it is having a blow-out sale.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I just fitted a Scorpio Black to a MacBook this morning and it's pretty fast!

I picked the Scorpio Black because it seemed to get some good reviews and it doesn't really run any hotter than the stock drives.

There are two different versions however ? one with a motion sensor and one without. You need to get the one without the motion sensor, as the MacBooks already have their own motion sensors.

I think you need part # WD3200BEKT.

Best of luck...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Hello everyone first time to this site. I am looking into upgrading my pathetic 100 gig HDD that came in my MacBook pro and was wondering if any SATA 2.5 HDD will work? I am looking at a 500 gig 7200 RPM but the ones I find locally say they work PC only. Thanks in advance!

Hey, dont worry... I got the solution...

Purchase a buffalo ministation 500 gig they are currently on sale for $130

its 5400rpm but from what I have heard people say there really is no difference in preformance.

I did it and am 100% satisfied with the results.

Just make sure you have alot of tools... especially the small star shaped screwdriver

and the front end of the book has two parts you pop open just be very careful not to bend or dent the board

it is also connected to the motherboard so fold it up toward the screen...

after the drive is in the computer format it as a GUID partition

you can use migration assistant to copy over after leopard is installed or have another seperate external with time machine to copy system while installing leopard which saves time.

everything including your preferences and passwords will seamlessly copy to the new hard drive...

This DJ from cali actually helped me with this... hope this helps. check out the link

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=49855326

if anyone has questions my email is

[email protected]

peace
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenatek View Post

This is the one you will want to track down.

I believe it is the largest capacity laptop drive at 7200.

Not any more

• Reply 11 of 14
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I just put a Seagate 320GB (5400rpm) into my MBP C2D 2.16 last week... paid $91 CAD for the drive at Canada Computers. Installation was not nearly as painful as I was expecting. The difficult part for me was getting the top lid unsnapped from the front.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

I just put a Seagate 320GB (5400rpm) into my MBP C2D 2.16 last week... paid $91 CAD for the drive at Canada Computers. Installation was not nearly as painful as I was expecting. The difficult part for me was getting the top lid unsnapped from the front.

yea that is a little tricky..

im right about the 5400rpm right?

it seems the same as the 7200 right?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryan0725 View Post

yea that is a little tricky..

im right about the 5400rpm right?

it seems the same as the 7200 right?

I think the 7200rpm drive was about $20 more if I'm not mistaken... I was more worried about increased vibration, heat, and power consumption, so I stuck with a 5400rpm drive. No complaints and it is noticeably faster than the Fujitsu drive that come with the machine.

Any trick for getting those front "clips" unpopped? The ifixit guide is a bit weak in this area. I'm probably going to have to dig in there again to change out the noisy fan(s).
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

I think the 7200rpm drive was about $20 more if I'm not mistaken... I was more worried about increased vibration, heat, and power consumption, so I stuck with a 5400rpm drive. No complaints and it is noticeably faster than the Fujitsu drive that come with the machine.

Any trick for getting those front "clips" unpopped? The ifixit guide is a bit weak in this area. I'm probably going to have to dig in there again to change out the noisy fan(s).

yea no complaints here either... im happy with the 5400rpm as well.

as far as the clips go...

just use a small screw driver about the size of your index finger and angle it inward so you dont damage the plastic lining or the aluminum casing on the outside.. as you manuveur across apply pressure by slowly turning the screwdriver and lift up gently with it and your other hand on the end of the board.

It will pop open... theres no other way that I know of... but this works everytime for me

make sure you dont lift too hard.. cuz you will bend the board.

keep applying pressure slowly till it pops... too much and you will F it up.

goodluck