Repeat tests show iPhone 3G doesn't suffer from faulty hardware

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After lab results demonstrated that the iPhone 3G's antenna actually functions normally, critics complained that the tests didn't represent their own experiences. So the tests were performed again on two phones that had been experiencing severe problems for some users; the verdict was the same: no hardware problems found.

Eva Wieselgren, a journalist in Sweden, originally presented the findings of a study by Bluetest earlier this week which confirmed that the iPhone 3G's antenna and its 3G reception were functioning normally. When readers complained that the tests didn't properly single out a problematic phone, Wieselgren asked for volunteers who owned a bad iPhone 3G to offer their unit for additional testing.

Despite the wide visibility of the report, Wieselgren wrote that there were "unexpectedly few" who responded to claim ownership of a bad iPhone, but two users were identified who had experienced few or no bars of 3G service in areas where other mobile phones reported lots of bars of signal strength.

"To look at the bars [of signal on a phone] is a very unreliable measurement method," Bluetest chief executive Mats Andersson explained. "There can be differences of 10 - 20 dB by moving the phone half a meter, or if a car drives by. There is no standard on how the bars should be displayed." Andersson's company had previously pitted an iPhone 3G running iPhone 2.0.2 software against a Sony Ericsson P1 and Nokia N73. In the retest, two additional iPhone 3Gs, one running iPhone 2.0 and the other running iPhone 2.0.2, were also tested, both of which came from owners who reported having trouble finding a 3G signal and frequent fallbacks to EDGE service.

Wieselgren reported that the lab found that all these iPhones to "have no problems with the 3G communication in the test chamber. They send and receive signals in a fully normal manner. They do not disconnect earlier than the others we have tested when the signal becomes weaker." The iPhone using updated 2.0.2 software reported slightly better numbers, but Bluetest indicated there was no statistical significance, as a difference of up to 1dB in the results "can occur due to measurement uncertainty and random fluctuations."

Outside of the Bluetest lab, Wieselgren reported that at one location where a Sony Ericsson phone displayed full bars, one iPhone 3G showed low 3G reception while the other indicated it was on EDGE. When attempting to download a web page however, Wieselgren wrote that "the Sony Ericsson with all the 3G bars makes it in 46 seconds. For my iPhone with Edge it takes 32."

"I do not draw any conclusion from this, there is so many factors influencing the outcome," Wieselgren reported. "We can at least be certain of one thing. The three iphones we tested had nothing wrong with their antennas."

3G bands

The radio frequencies Bluetest examined fall in the 1900MHz band used for mobile transmit (above in blue) and the 2100MHz band used for base station transmit (above in yellow), the two primary 3G UMTS bands used in Europe. The testing did not also include the 850MHz band used by AT&T in the US and Telstra in Australia.

The longer wavelength, lower frequency 850MHz band is growing in popularity among mobile providers because it provides greater coverage area using fewer towers and better penetration through walls. AT&T uses both 850MHz and 1900MHz bands for 3G UMTS in the US.

In June, Kris Rinne, AT&T's Senior Vice President of Architecture and Planning, was cited in an industry press release as saying, "AT&T has delivered HSPA service at 850MHz wherever possible, with more on the way this year as we redeploy additional 850 spectrum previously used for our TDMA network," indicating a continuation of the company's often repeated strategy of deploying additional 850MHz coverage to strengthen its 3G service in the US.

Can you hear me now?

The lab findings refute the speculation of financial analyst Richard Windsor of Nomura Securities, who issued a report two weeks ago that accused the iPhone 3G's Infineon chipset of being faulty and possibly requiring a massive recall to resolve. Infineon said it was not aware of any problems with its chips, which are also used by Samsung. Other groups, including iSuppli, offered their own guesswork about the possible hardware problems the iPhone might have, albeit without offering any test results to substantiate what the problems actually were.

BusinessWeek cited two "well-placed" but unnamed sources, who both blamed unspecified chips in the device as the source of its reported problems. Swedish publication NyTeknik reported on a study that indicated substandard test results "well below the value specified in the 3G standard" for an iPhone 3G, but did not actually publish the numbers, describe how the tests were carried out, or compare the iPhone 3G's findings against other models.

A broader, informal study conducted by Wired that involved 2,600 users in different countries suggested that the iPhone 3G's problems were more likely due to limitations of carriers' networks, particularly AT&T in the US, where users reported 75 percent of the zero data results from dropped calls and less than half of the average data throughput compared to users on European carriers.

A Citigroup analyst recently reported similar 3G problems with dropping to the slower EDGE network or even cutting out entirely when using RIM's new BlackBerry Bold on AT&T's 3G network. The Bold uses an entirely different cellular chipset than the iPhone 3G.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Damn you AT&T?
  • Reply 2 of 146
    "But whhaaaa your results don't match my anecdotal evidence and I really want to blame Apple for this one! Do it again!! Wait, same results? Whatever, you're obviously being paid off by Apple"

The scary thing is situations like this happen every single day and the discounting of results seems to be the standard.

At least those willing to accept scientific evidence know the truth right???
  • Reply 3 of 146
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    AT&T = Dropped calls and now dropped 3G.

AT&T's cellular connection has always been inconsistent at least here in NYC. SO why am I not surprised that their 3G has faulty connectivity as well?

Sorry you all bought into AT&T. At least the iPhone looks cool.
  • Reply 4 of 146
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

"But whhaaaa your results don't match my anecdotal evidence and I really want to blame Apple for this one! Do it again!! Wait, same results? Whatever, you're obviously being paid off by Apple"

The scary thing is situations like this happen every single day and the discounting of results seems to be the standard.

Interesting. They got two so called "bad phones" and the worked better than results than the 'better' competitors.

Perhaps it is not the iPhone that is the problem. Its the void between the users' ears.

Just ran another test. Now up to 1743kbs on 3G. Love my iPhone and my carrier.
  • Reply 5 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Make sure y'all update to 2.0.2
  • Reply 6 of 146
    Yup, it's looking like Apple has been getting crap for 3G when all signs point to the network. AT&T was and still is ill prepared to provide a viable 3G service. The same thing happened when they introduced DSL, the service and support was shoddy. They eventually got it right but it took a few years.

My 3G is never over 2 bars and I live in Fort Lauderdale Florida. It's off 90% of the time.
  • Reply 7 of 146
    You also forgot situations when the phone is working, the network is working, the coverage is ok ... but the carrier is capping the network to 384kbps.

Thank you, Orange France.
  • Reply 8 of 146
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

AT&T = Dropped calls and now dropped 3G.

AT&T's cellular connection has always been inconsistent at least here in NYC. SO why am I not surprised that their 3G has faulty connectivity as well?

Sorry you all bought into AT&T. At least the iPhone looks cool.

Along with ATT immature 3G system another thing to keep in mind. Verizon nor Sprint have an equivalent phone that is a popular as the iPhone or uses as much data. So their is no phone that demands their 3G network in the same way. So we cannot make an equal comparison of how well their networks could handle the same situation
  • Reply 9 of 146
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Along with ATT immature 3G system another thing to keep in mind. Verizon nor Sprint have an equivalent phone that is a popular as the iPhone or uses as much data. So their is no phone that demands their 3G network in the same way. So we cannot make an equal comparison of how well their networks could handle the same situation

Even without 3G the quality of the calls sound crappy and drop- at least on the receiving end. An this is not only iPhone but all AT&T phones.
  • Reply 10 of 146
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

And the truth shall set you free... provided you pay your AT&T bill on time every month.
  • Reply 11 of 146
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Even without 3G the quality of the calls sound crappy and drop- at least on the receiving end. An this is not only iPhone but all AT&T phones.

Very true ATT is ranked at the bottom of call quality.
  • Reply 12 of 146
    Seems to me that this helps to validate Apple's decision to not make the original iphone 3G. If it's this bad now, can you imagine what it was like a couple (or three) years ago when they were having to make the call on whether to ship with EDGE or 3G. Rewind back a year ago and imagine Apple introducing a 3G iphone that had even shorter life than the EDGE version and even worse 3G coverage/issues.

Good points about the fact that it's been measured that iphone users are far heavier users of IP traffic and therefore much likely to A) notice network issues and B) cause network issues.
  • Reply 13 of 146
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Interesting. They got two so called "bad phones" and the worked better than results than the 'better' competitors.

Perhaps it is not the iPhone that is the problem. Its the void between the users' ears.

Just ran another test. Now up to 1743kbs on 3G. Love my iPhone and my carrier.

Yeah, I can hear you now! I live in an area that is supposedly "horrid" for 3G coverage. Yet that has not been my experience at all! Most of us should have known about AT&T's rather checkered history in the cellular game but, my oh my, have people been quick to jump on Apple instead.

It's going to be very interesting once the 2.1 firmware update is out. Who are the naysayers going to blame then? Perhaps they should start by finding a good mirror.
  • Reply 14 of 146
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

Yup, it's looking like Apple has been getting crap for 3G when all signs point to the network. AT&T was and still is ill prepared to provide a viable 3G service. The same thing happened when they introduced DSL, the service and support was shoddy. They eventually got it right but it took a few years.

My 3G is never over 2 bars and I live in Fort Lauderdale Florida. It's off 90% of the time.

AT&T is in the build stage. Actually one of the reasons why Apple didn't jump into 3G in the first place. (Interesting, but as of Dec 27, there were only 45 million 3G subscribers in Europe.)

As this map shows, (http://www.zeemaps.com/pub?group=990...y=37.7186&z=15) speeds reported vary across the country. Notice that many places are getting excellent speeds.

Certainly nobody can argue that it is not 'tower' related, as it now has been evidenced that it is not 'iPhone' and only somewhat a 'software" issue. Just remember, towers are expensive. Obviously once you put up the first one, one is reluctant to replace it when necessary vs installing a new one in new locations.

Sorry to hear you are having problems, but unfortunately you don't have another choice. Best suggestion is to keep hounding your local provider, knowing that the squeaky wheel gets the most grease.

But on a happier note, I got up to 1743 Kbps on 3G this morning. Up nearly 300 from a week and a half ago. Love my iPhone and my carrier.
  • Reply 15 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

And the truth shall set you free... provided you pay your AT&T bill on time every month.

Or pony up the the termination fee
  • Reply 16 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Yeah, I can hear you now! I live in an area that is supposedly "horrid" for 3G coverage. Yet that has not been my experience at all! Most of us should have known about AT&T's rather checkered history in the cellular game but, my oh my, have people been quick to jump on Apple instead.

It's going to be very interesting once the 2.1 firmware update is out. Who are the naysayers going to blame then? Perhaps they should start by finding a good mirror.

Well if this is correct and the problem falls on the backs of the carrier. Would this explain why the signal on the phone keeps jumping around from no service to full bars and anywhere in between when in 3G any staying in the same place? Did this test take into account the quality of the signal when holding the phone? I'm now on my third phone with all of the latest updates and the signal meter jumps all over the place depending on how I'm holding it. The only way I can achieve full strength is to be in the line of sight to the tower.

This is so frustrating!!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 146
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:

Our business has several iPhone 3G users. Our experience is that call quality is universally excellent, whether between iPhones or between a landline phone and an iPhone. And we're not even in an area with any AT&T 3G service, although it's supposedly coming in September.
  • Reply 18 of 146
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

(Interesting, but as of Dec 27, there were only 45 million 3G subscribers in Europe.)

What? Dec 27 2006? http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/April2007/4516.htm

It is over 100 million now.
  • Reply 19 of 146
    Apple is just as much at fault of course, because they made the decision to give AT&T an exclusive deal.
  • Reply 20 of 146
    This report makes sense. Most of the big problems seem to be in NYC, SF bay area or other locations where ATT has poor coverage or at least not enough for the big increase in 3G users.

My 3G in Birmingham, AL has had good data speeds and although I make only occasional calls, it's never dropped one. It's everything I'd hoped for. I find 3G surfing acceptable and it's doesn't drop back to edge. My iPhone experience is much improved from my original iPhone, well worth the upgrade.

I guess that's because my area has good 3G coverage and probably not the iPhone saturation in SF or Manhattan.

The iPhone probably has produced a huge increase in 3G demand and with some luck carriers will beef up the areas that are hurting now.