out of range?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hello when i download some games i get out of range when i try to open them and i cannot play the game,it then just sits there and i have to reboot,any ideas how to stop this happening please?

thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The default preference for the game is probably using a frequency out of the range of your display. You should be able to force-quit the app using command-alt-escape.

If you go into your system prefs > display, you will see the list of supported display frequencies - you may have to manually adjust the game preferences before launching to get a supported frequency and resolution.

1024 x 768 @ 75Hz should probably be the default for most games although a few older games drop to 60Hz.

Are you using an older LCD?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The default preference for the game is probably using a frequency out of the range of your display. You should be able to force-quit the app using command-alt-escape.

If you go into your system prefs > display, you will see the list of supported display frequencies - you may have to manually adjust the game preferences before launching to get a supported frequency and resolution.

1024 x 768 @ 75Hz should probably be the default for most games although a few older games drop to 60Hz.

Are you using an older LCD?

i have changed to 60 hz but left 1024x768 but it is still saying out of range?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geordiejohn View Post

i have changed to 60 hz but left 1024x768 but it is still saying out of range?

What did you change to 60HZ? If you changed your display settings in system prefs, it won't matter as the game will try and set your display to the default game preferences when the game launches. When the game is launching, it is trying to set your display (or rather the output from your graphics card) to an unsupported frequency.

Specifically, which game demos give you problems and are you running OS X or Windows?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What did you change to 60HZ? If you changed your display settings in system prefs, it won't matter as the game will try and set your display to the default game preferences when the game launches. When the game is launching, it is trying to set your display (or rather the output from your graphics card) to an unsupported frequency.

Specifically, which game demos give you problems and are you running OS X or Windows?

i did go to preferences-display and one of the games is mystery case files huntsville,i have got an apple macmini 80gb 10.5.4 with leopard
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geordiejohn View Post

i did go to preferences-display and one of the games is mystery case files huntsville,i have got an apple macmini 80gb 10.5.4 with leopard

That game is based on Macromedia Director. When it loads, it goes to 640x480 - not sure what refresh rate though. Shows up ok on my display but trying to switch from fullscreen just makes the display blank and it modifies the preferences so it always stays that way.

I can't see any settings to let you manually change the output - the preferences are all stored in binary. Plus there aren't any display options in the game. You can play an online version of that game:

http://www.gamebrew.com/game/mystery-case-files/play

Kinda like a Where's Waldo for random objects.

Your best bet would be to get a better display or if you have an Intel Mac, run the Windows versions in a VM or through Crossover. If 1024x768 is your native resolution, a bigger screen is recommended. You can get a 1680x1050 for close to £100 these days and the Mini will drive the display ok.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ok thank you.